- uploaded: Sep 17, 2008
- Hits: 879
Titulus Crucis (Latin for "Title of the Cross") also known as ogium is a relic kept in the church of Santa Croce in Gerusalemme in Romeâ??the earlier palace of Helena of Constantinopleâ??which the tradition claims in 1140 is half of the cross's titulus and a part of the True Cross. Carsten Peter Thiede insisted that it is truly a part of the Cross, written by a Jewish scribe. He cites that the order of the languages match what is historically accurate and not the order shown in the New Testament because should it be phony, the forgerer would try to remain faithful to the text instead.
Discovered in the 4th Century by St. Helena, the mother of Emperor Constantine, the "Title" was the wooden board on which Pontius Pilate had written the accusation of Christ's crucifixion: Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews. This was written in three languages, Latin, the official language of the Roman Empire, Greek, the unofficial language of trade and commerce, and Hebrew, one of the languages used in Judea at the time of Christ (here written in in ancient form which is quite different than the square alphabet). The Latin on this title is the source of the INRI seen on many crucifixes today: Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum.