- uploaded: Aug 13, 2013
- Hits: 2451
An infant has been receiving treatment at a Chennai, India hospital following multiple incidents of spontaneous combustion. An infant has been receiving treatment at a Chennai, India hospital following multiple incidents of spontaneous human combustion. Doctors say the rare affliction is likely caused by flammable gases that are emitted through the skin. No external spark is required to engulf the infant in flames. The first time the spontaneous fire occurred, the child was only 9 days old. Three more spontaneous combustions followed. Reportedly, in recorded history there have been only 200 cases of this happening in about 300 years. The last known instance was in the United States in 2010. In the case of the infant, no cure has been formulated. The child is being treated with ointments for the burns and a plastic surgeon has been consulted. At the side of the child's bed are a fire extinguisher and a bucket of water. The parents will be taught about measures they can take to help prevent another occurrence. Among them are keeping the child out of the sun and making sure only certain types of clothing are worn.