Please rate:

Iolani Palace Ghosts - Most Haunted Honolulu in USA


Description:

SUBSCRIBE & JOIN THE FAMILY. Please follow us on twitter at like our facebook page at #!/pages/Dorset-Ghost-Investigators/259833150723729Iolani Palace is purported to be haunted. Iolani Palace: in the capitol district of downtown Honolulu in the state of Hawaii, is the only royal palace in the United States used as an official residence by a reigning monarch and is a National Historic Landmark listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Two monarchs governed from Iolani Palace: King Kalkaua and Queen Liliuokalani. After the monarchy was overthrown in 1893, the building was used as the capitol building for the Provisional Government, Republic, Territory, and State of Hawaii until 1969. The palace was restored and opened to the public as a museum in 1978. History Pohukaina:In the early 19th-century, this area was known as Pohukaina, probably from pohu ka ina which in the Hawaiian language means "the land is calm". It may also been named for the chief of the same name (sometimes spelled Pahukaina) who according to legend chose a cave in Kanehoalani in the Koolau Range for his resting place. The land belonged to Kekauluohi, who later ruled as Kuhina Nui, as her missionary Hiram Bingham I was allowed to build a missionary compound of his house and what became the Kawaiahao Church outside of the old town. Some thatched huts were built for royalty to be near a school that the missionaries ran for the royal family at the church. Another missionary William Ellis built his home there, and Prime Minister Kalanimoku decided to build the first stone house on the site, naming it "Pohukaina". After Kalanimoku's death, the building, often referred to as a palace, became the meeting hall for the council of chiefs. The present palace grounds consist of many different homes for other aliis; Kekanoa build his house Haliimaile and Keoni Ana lived in Knau Hale, which was later converted into the residence of the royal chamberlain, on the history told of an ancient heiau (temple to the Hawaiian religion) called Kaahaimauli that was destroyed in the 1825, the first Western-style royal tomb was constructed for the bodies of King Kamehameha II and his queen Kammalu. They were buried on August 23, 1825. The idea was heavily influenced by the tombs at Westminster Abbey during Kamehameha II's trip to London. The mausoleum was a small house made of coral blocks with a thatched roof. It had no windows, and it was the duty of two chiefs to guard the iron-locked koa door day and night. No one can enter the vault except for burials or Memorial Day, a Hawaiian national holiday celebrated on December Kamehameha III lived in the compound for a while, he had no permanent capital, and left in 1837 for Maui. Over time, as more bodies were added, the small vault became crowded, so other chiefs and retainers were buried in unmarked graves nearby. In 1865 a selected 20 coffins were removed to the Royal Mausoleum of Hawaii called Mauna Ala in Nuuanu Valley. But many chiefs remain on the site including: Keawekekahialiiokamoku, Kalaniopuu, Chiefess Kapiolani, and Timothy being overgrown for many years, the Hawaiian Historical Society passed a resolution in 1930 requesting Governor Lawrence Judd to memorialize the site with the construction of a metal fence enclosure and a plaque. Tradition holds that the tomb was on the site of a former credit to:Kevin MacLeod ()".Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution " for Images in video:This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Unported LicenseThis file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike Generic You to this source:



Previous Media Next Media
Show more Show less

0 comments

No comments yet.



‚Äč  
Visit Disclose.tv on Facebook