TV9 News : Days after she set herself ablaze, accused maid dies

  • Uploaded by Isotrop on Oct 9, 2013
  • Views: 165

TV9 News : Days after she set herself ablaze, accused maid !Follow us on : YOUTUBE : : : : Devi, 28, the domestic help who allegedly set herself ablaze on July 14 after police detained her illegally and tortured her, succumbed to her burns on Tuesday. She had sustained 73% burns and was battling for life in Victoria Hospital for the past four , a resident of Doddabommasandra, reportedly said in a statement to her lawyer that police forced her at gunpoint to confess she had stolen saris from her employer's residence. A copy of the statement is with the Times of India."I could not withstand the Vidyaranyapuram police torture and repeated threats to me on July 13. They told me that they will file a robbery case and send me to jail, prompting me to end my life. I doused myself with kerosene and set myself on fire at my uncle Ganganna's house," Devi stated before her lawyer Dr Lakshman on also alleged her employer asked her to sleep with him on June 8 and she declined to do it. "When I went back to work the next day, my employer alleged I had stolen 10 saris from his house. The next day too, I was abused by my employer that I stole the saris. On June 12, Vidyaranyapuram police came to my house and took me and my husband Pullanna to the station. At the station, the policemen beat me and my husband with lathis and kicked us with boots. They brandished a gun and asked me to reveal where I had hidden the saris," her statement said she escaped from the police station and took refuge in the house of a political leader in Anantapur, Andhra Pradesh. On July 13, Devi went to her uncle Bala Peddana's house. "Three male constables and one woman constable from Vidyaranyapuram came in search of me and assaulted me. The same day, I was brought to Vidyaranyapuram police station. At the station I was forced to confess to stealing saris and beaten up.""At midnight, when I was in my uncle Ganganna's house, police came and asked me to return to the station. They told me that they would book me for robbery and send me to jail. They also abused me and asked me to die instead of living like a robber," she said. She said that around on July 14, she poured kerosene on her body and set herself ACP AK Suresh said police will hand over the body for post mortem after the inquest.

Show Description Hide Description