1 Rating:

Cop Assaulting Cyclist at Critical Mass Ride

• Herbert
  • uploaded: Jul 29, 2008

Description:

Another Critical Mass ride, another stunning display of police brutality. Watch as one of New York's finest violently shoves a cyclist off his bicycle, launching him through the air to the curb at 46th street and Seventh Avenue during Friday night's monthly Critical Mass ride.

Although a judge ruled in 2006 that the monthly Critical Mass bicycle rides could proceed without a permit, the NYPD's stance remains somewhat adversarial. Though the city has not been enforcing the controversial parade permit law when it comes to Critical Mass, police have been ticketing cyclists during the ride for such infractions as not having the required lights.

A representative for TIMES UP! tells us that the cyclist in this video was arrested, held for 26 hours, and charged with attempted assault and resisting arrest. One other cyclist was ticketed Friday night for riding outside the bike lane, which is not actually illegal and often necessary, considering how popular bike lanes are for double parking.

UPDATE: MyFoxNY has it that the police officer in the video â?? 22-year-old Patrick Pogan â?? has been stripped of his badge and gun and the NYPD has "placed the officer on desk duty pending the outcome of a department investigation." The cyclist, Christopher Long, has not commented, but his lawyer said, "The video speaks for itself."

Previous Media Next Media
Show more Show less

• Hypnopants#

Hypnopants July 31, 2008 9:41:30 AM CEST

But, I would feel more threatened by the american government's "right" to monitor my internet access and plant bugs and cameras inside my house unwarranted... than by cameras or police.

• Hypnopants#

Hypnopants July 31, 2008 9:41:20 AM CEST

• Hypnopants#

Hypnopants July 31, 2008 9:41:10 AM CEST

Honestly though I could care less, I'm in university, distance learning, along with being the nanny/housekeeper(watching my siblings all day, while cooking and cleaning and such to pay room and board... and to get my parents to pay for my courses :P) I really don't go out much anyways, except for excersize and occasional shopping... I don't really deal with the police or those cameras :D

• Hypnopants#

Hypnopants July 31, 2008 9:40:59 AM CEST

• Hypnopants#

Hypnopants July 31, 2008 9:40:49 AM CEST

In the end it's two choices, the all seeing eye(s), or the police state with added ignorance and prejudice... well I'd choose the eyes, as they eyes could also protect you from that police state :D

• Hypnopants#

Hypnopants July 31, 2008 9:39:21 AM CEST

Atleast the cameras aren't prejudice :P and they would prove useful in capturing all such incidents as that critical mass incident. ... I mean, it's not like in America where the government has the right to put cameras and bugs in suspects homes, or monitoring their internet usage... all without a warrant, and all they have to say is that you were a threat to national security :PBut in britain the outdoor street cams are about as far as the government is allowed to go unwarranted.

• Hypnopants#

Hypnopants July 31, 2008 9:38:14 AM CEST

This is where I think Britain's massive amount of smart street cameras may actually be more useful than having more ignorant, arrogant police...Sure the extra cameras seem like they're spying on you... but they're all outside and you only have to worry if you've actually done something wrong! :PWhere in the case of having more police, you end up with the critical mass incident...

• Hypnopants#

Hypnopants July 31, 2008 9:26:26 AM CEST

Either that, or do everything possible to prevent a police state :)Don't hide in a corner with your guns and landmines! Take the guns to those who run the police state! and take those landmines to their front porch! :D

• Hypnopants#

Hypnopants July 31, 2008 9:24:31 AM CEST

wow... your extreme intolerance should not be tolerated by anyone. :D

• Cosmonaut#