Please rate:

• Ghost32
  • uploaded: Nov 3, 2011

Description:

Transcript by http://www.newsy.com

BY SAMUEL JOSEPH
ANCHOR ANA COMPAIN-ROMERO

Painkiller overdoses have exploded in the last decade. A new report from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention says prescription pain medication kills more people each year than heroine and cocaine combined.

"Prescription painkiller overdoses killed nearly 15,000 people in the US in 2008. This is more than 3 times the 4,000 people killed by these drugs in 1999. ... Nearly half a million emergency department visits in 2009 were due to people misusing or abusing prescription painkillers."

The jump in deaths have been attributed to a surge in the number of narcotic painkillers prescribed every year, the most comm being Vicodin, OxyContin and Codeine.

KTLA spoke with an addiction therapist who says its easy for drug consumption to escalate after taking painkillers for legitimate reasons.

JOHN TSILIMPARIS: "It makes you feel better psychologically. It takes your stress away. It helps your depression. Things that you were worried about throughout the day are pretty much gone. So people will go back to using it."
OLGA OSPINA: "After a while they become not only dependent on the painkiller, they also develop a tolerance for it. Which means they might go from taking just two to three a day to 30 pills a day just to get the same effect. And if they mix with other drugs the effect could be especially dangerous."

And CBS spoke with a police chief who says law enforcement alone cannot deal with this rising trend.

SCOTT SALLY: We cannot continually detox and house these people in jail. Jail is not a place for an addict. But, here we are. ... The analogy I use is like standing on the beach with a tsunami rolling in on you. You may think that you can combat it, but it's going to take you with it. It's huge."

The government recently took steps to curb the rise of pill mills and doctor shopping. The Wall Street Journal Reports:

"Federal government has a big push underway to have the states come and set up a data base so that all the pharmacies all the doctors are talking to each other. So in other words, one person can't go to multiple doctors and rack up several prescriptions to get a whole bunch of Vicodin. There's no system right now that says hey Joe Smith, this is his fifth prescription for Vicodin this month."

But government regulations alone cannot curb the epidemic. ABC spoke with a doctor who said physicians need to better educated their patients about the effects and risks of prescription painkillers

HOWARD NEARMAN: "Physicians certainly need to be aware of the study so that they know that the dangers are real. And I think the patients need to be educated as well. When we prescribe this, when you skip a dose, don't double up the next time. You need to be aware that there are other medications that you may have in your medicine cabinet that may interact with these medications and make them even more dangerous. And we need to see those lists before you take any of those medications."

Last April the Obama Administration promised support to state based drug monitoring programs to combat the epidemic.

FAIR USE NOTICE: The material on this channel is provided solely for educational and informational purposes. It may contain copyrighted material, the use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Infringement of copyright is not intended. The material is made available to help educate people about health related issues. It is believed that this constitutes a 'FAIR USE' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in Title 17, section 107 of the US Copyright Law. The material is distributed without profit to those who would like to use such material for research and educational purposes. FAIR USE NOTICE The use of the media material found on this channel is protected by the Fair Use Clause of the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976, which allows for the rebroadcast of copyrighted materials for the purposes of commentary, criticism, and education.

Previous Media Next Media
Show more Show less

• Vampic Munchausen#

Vampic Munchausen January 12, 2013 4:20:48 AM CET

Angelique Picillo (Baker, Kindel) ”..im suprised at myself that when I was mad at him i just said I was mad and didnt' try to attack and kill him....so I've made progress..” 5/16/06 #8933, http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/naranonsupport/

• Vampic Munchausen#

Vampic Munchausen January 12, 2013 4:20:15 AM CET

Angelique Picillo (Baker, Kindel) ”..I feel lke I might need to find an anger management program because whenI get hurt my anger tends to turn towards trying to kill the person…” 5/12/06 #8835, http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/naranonsupport/

• Vampic Munchausen#

Vampic Munchausen January 12, 2013 4:19:38 AM CET

Angelique Picillo (Baker, Kindel) “..I appreciate your candidness about wanting to punch him, in my case I have..and it got me no where..” 5/1/06 #8706, http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/naranonsupport/

• Vampic Munchausen#

Vampic Munchausen January 12, 2013 4:18:51 AM CET

Lundy Bancroft • April 7, 2012 at 10:19pm •
    • WHEN HIS PUT-DOWNS SOUND TRUE
    New post on my Healing and Hope blog, about how to escape the trap an abusive or controlling partner sets for you when his put-downs include grains of truth.
    o Angelique Picillo excuse me for saying so but I do have a degree in domestic violence and addiction...so I don't want to be rude here...but I met you years ago and while I like many other people loved your books I was actually totally creeped out as to why a man would have so much of an interest? so you never have been an abuser and are reformed.....I almost went to a retreat years back but was upset that a man no matter how smart on the subject was allowed to be there...I also tried to join a local coalition about children/women and never heard back.....I have asked about things on here and never heard back...I remember all the women who were older than me drooling over you....how do you deal with all that attention? how do you much like police doing good police work not turn to the bad side? have you ever thought or accidentally been abusive, shoved or manipulative. You say in your books to measure a mans change by the amount he can deal with you bringing up things that he did or upset him so I am curious if you will erase this. many women are wondering if you have ever taken advantage of a women ecuase you meet them in sucha raw vulnerable state? are you offended by women not wanting you around? a lot of women are hurt and are searching for a man to understand their pain and make it better and you appear as the answer/perfect guyI have been through dv over and over so I can say I understand it and write a book on it but I could never write a book on being an abuser or wht they are thinkin because no matter how much I understand the concepts i really don't get it...so tell me it is that you so accurately describe teh hows and whys without being an abuser?how can you understand what women want unless you have traveled down that thought path yours?.why appear in person and not just be the man behind the book?
    o April 16 at 6:44am • Like
    o Melody Ann Angelique, please understand Mr Bancroft is a very busy person focusing his limited time and energy where it is most effectively targeting the largest audiences in order to grow the cause and the knowledge at the fastest rate. Do not take it personall...See More April 17 at 4:38pm • Like • 2
    o Shari Reenee Moral Lundy Bancroft is a hero who knows what he's talking about because of his experience and education. But what's really important is that the information he's shared continues to spread to as many women as possible..The internet is one great place to sta...See More April 18 at 5:16pm • Like • 4
    o Robin Molison @ Angelique ~ I agree with Shari! Why on earth would you be creeped out at a man who speaks out on this??? I was amazed! Most pastors won't even dare speak out against their own gender! Leaving countless numbers of us to "endure our trials", and to spe...See More April 22 at 1:15am • Like • 5
    o Shari Reenee Moral Robin-- Lundy touched on the sexism of fundamentalist churches in Why Does He Do That? and it's absolutely true that these types of churches are seedbeds for abusiveness. I grew up going to fundamentalist Christian church and have known/currently know ...See More

• Vampic Munchausen#

Vampic Munchausen January 12, 2013 4:17:12 AM CET

PsychCentral.com May 15, 2012
    How easy is it for you to make healthy FRIENDSHIP choices?
    Angelique Picillo - Hard. May 15 at 2:21pm via mobile • Like

• Vampic Munchausen#

Vampic Munchausen January 12, 2013 4:16:40 AM CET

Angelique Kindel (Picillo, Baker) “I wanted him to hit rock bottom so bad that when someone would make a joke
    like ‘hey I got a friend who would hurt him’ I was taking him seriously.I wanted his car destroyed..I wanted him hurt so that he could be in the hospital.. I put my son in harms way so many times by my driving or my yelling at him to get in the car faster so I could chase after Jason..I knew what I was doing was wrong and crazy…...I used to get so upset that I would yell at my son and I would drive erratically or couldnt' function or thought of all sorts of things to get back at him..” 4/15/06 #8420,

• Vampic Munchausen#

Vampic Munchausen January 12, 2013 4:15:27 AM CET

http://www.west-springfield.ma.us/.../Feb.%202012/" title="www.west-springfield.ma.us/.../Feb.%202012/" rel="external nofollow">www.west-springfield.ma.us/.../Feb.%202012/...
    12-2214 1909 Domestic Disturbance
    Feb 15, 2012 Arrest: 12-2214-AR Arrest: PICILLO, ANGELIQUE C...48 JANET ST WEST SPRINGFIELD, MA DOB: 11/11/1979 Charges: A&B (Assault and Battery)

• Vampic Munchausen#

Vampic Munchausen January 12, 2013 4:15:02 AM CET

Angelique Picillo (Baker Kindel) PEOPLES COURT "You Don't Find a Babysitter for an Infant on Craigslist!" Video CLIP...March 2012