$120,000 job with no experience required

Super Moderator

PostSat Mar 10, 2012 7:25 pm » by domdabears

In This Oil Boomtown, Workers With No Experience Are Making $120,000 A Year

When I went to Williston, North Dakota to cover the oil boom for Business Insider, I knew I'd find people working very hard, in brutal conditions, making a lot of money.

I wasn't disappointed.

High oil prices have transformed Williston from a quiet town of 12,000 to a boomtown of 30,000, as people have come from all over the country in search of high-paying jobs.

In contrast to the rest of the country, jobs are plentiful in Williston.

But among all the Williston workers, performing all manner of jobs, one position was exalted more than any other — wireline.

Talking to people who were already working, making $80,0000 to $100,000 a year, it was common to hear them taper off the description of their job, and their rate of pay with, "But what I'd really like to get into is wireline."

It's understandable.

Wireline operators in the Williston, North Dakota area start at about $120,000 a year and can reasonably expect to make $200,000 annually. I heard one guy say he expected to make $300,000, but $120,000 is the norm.

Williston sits atop the Bakken oil field, 640-square miles of sweet crude whose quality rivals that of Saudi Arabia, and conditions there can be harsh. Workers in all positions put in long hours, but wireline workers sometimes have the privilege of working out of a warm truck filled with computer screens and monitoring equipment.

Terence Burns at Grynberg Petroleum says the job is still demanding. "C rews generally will work straight through until the job is done, regardless of whether it takes eight hours or eight days," he says. " That’s the primary reason why the pay is so good; the overtime can mount up rapidly on a wireline job."

Crews can work for up to 50 to 60 hours at a time and then "hot-sheet" it into a nearby bunk, just vacated by another operator.

Wireline workers provide a long list of services, most of which rely on one factor: getting sensors, equipment, or explosives deep into a well without having to shut it down.

Burns points out that even though wireline firms often prefer to hire young workers with no experience, to learn their proprietary techniques and work with a "clean slate," there is a price.

"There may be few qualifications required to work in this business," he says, "but the work is demanding and not without risk, the conditions are trying, and the hours are long. There are reasons why it pays as well as it does."

Burns explained that although the North Dakota prairie can seem bucolic, it's incredibly harsh in the dead of winter and the height of summer. (See pictures here.)

"When the pressure’s on to complete or repair a well," he says,"it doesn’t matter if there’s a blizzard raging outside and the well site is one hundred miles away in the middle of nowhere – the wireline truck and crew has to be there."

It's not easy to get to Williston, and workers can be away from their families for long periods of time, but to many it's a small price to pay.

As one American who drove to Williston from Oregon looking for work told me, "T he world has changed, you just can’t make it with a normal job anymore."

Pay for wireline operators in other areas of the country is less, $60,000 to $65,000 according to Burns, but in Williston the demand is intense and it shows in the pay.

"In the Bakken," Burns says, "if you have a pulse, you can get a job."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/oil-boomt ... 00953.html
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Initiate

PostSat Mar 10, 2012 7:34 pm » by Ishumble

Great post :D

My brother went to check things out in ND he lives in SD. I would like to point out we still need to kick our oil addiction in the U.S,and around the world.That kind of money is intoxicating even for me,but I would still like to see the U.S research other alternative energy sources.

The earth is alive,no one is connecting the dots on what all this,underground bomb testing, drilling,mining, and fracking is actually doing to the earth,but I am sure it is not good. :cry:

Super Moderator

PostSat Mar 10, 2012 7:36 pm » by domdabears

ishumble wrote:Great post :D

My brother went to check things out in ND he lives in SD. I would like to point out we still need to kick our oil addiction in the U.S,and around the world.That kind of money is intoxicating even for me,but I would still like to see the U.S research other alternative energy sources.

The earth is alive,no one is connecting the dots on what all this,underground bomb testing, drilling,mining, and fracking is actually doing to the earth,but I am sure it is not good. :cry:

Yeah, I'm wanting to go up there now.

$120,000 a year? With what I been making forever it would takes me years just to equal that.

Seriously... This is wow.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Initiate

PostSat Mar 10, 2012 8:28 pm » by pandoras

domdabears wrote:Yeah, I'm wanting to go up there now.

$120,000 a year? With what I been making forever it would takes me years just to equal that.

Seriously... This is wow.

The Bakken fields will save the US economy. Where I live in Canader, we have the strongest economy in Canada. So much so that the Fed gubbment demands that we provide them a "cut" to "redistribute" to the poorer parts of the country :vomit:
As a matter of fact, the oil companies are actively recruting from other nations from around the world to come work in the "patch"...at a cut rate of pay of what a Canadian would demand.
Both of my boys work the patch and make more $$$ then me...lil' bastards...
When ever I visit SD for the rally in Sturgis, I have to travel through Montana and N. Dakota (depending on the route I take that year. Last year I went through Williston you wouldn't believe the amount of rigs working!! Blew me away and I live in oil and gas central!) you can literally see the seams of coal that have erupted from underground. It's beyond me that your economy is in the toilet..(besides the planned take down of the US)....Heres the kicker...the Bakken field products are being shipped to Canada for export overseas.
Oil and Gas easy fix.
For all the folks that say we need a cleaner energy, I concur (go Tesla! :clapper: ) however lets stay real. Petroleum products are used for a myriad of everyday products and Oil and Gas exploration ain't going away anytime soon.
And Dom if your going to get at it remember that oil production is boom and bust! :flop:

Super Moderator

PostSat Mar 10, 2012 8:36 pm » by domdabears

Bust or not, I wouldn't mind making 6 figures a year while saving a lot of it.
That amount of money would make a nice nest egg.

6 figures a year is nice. I couldn't even imagine living on that. Never have. Even growing up with both my parents working it didn't add up to that. Not even close, but we still lived fine.

The only way it would work out for me to go up there would be if there was a hospital near by that my girlfriend could work at. She's a registered nurse and makes really good money here. As for me, I make dick. Something like that would be worth it.

If I was single and had no kid, my ass wouldn't even hesitate and I would be making phone calls right now about going up there.

I want money!!!! :mrgreen:
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Initiate

PostSat Mar 10, 2012 8:51 pm » by pandoras

Mercy Medical Center..

N. Dakotas a great state (I have relatives all through the Dakotas) and the only financially stable one in the US. They still believe in Credit Unions.

Super Moderator

PostSat Mar 10, 2012 9:09 pm » by domdabears

Doing something like that would be a HUGE change.
I would deffinetly need to make sure I had the job before I went up there.

That would suck, go all the way up there and not even get the job.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Super Moderator

PostSat Mar 10, 2012 9:17 pm » by domdabears

Look what I just found. A job opening in that town for that job title.

No where near 120K a year.

Pays $16-$18 an hour.

With the hours and pay it averages 62K a year. Half of what this article says. :cry:

http://www.pcrecruiter.net/pcrbin/reg5. ... deRBIkI%3d
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Initiate

PostSat Mar 10, 2012 9:25 pm » by pandoras

A lot of jobs in the patch, especially for rig pigs, name hire.
Warm bodies are a dime a dozen during boom times like this. The crew or the push will run you off at the first sign of attitude or weakness. Ya' gotta "prove yourself" to be a good hand, if you want to survive.
I would find out what companies are drilling, get my H2S, First Aid, Ground Disturbance and a few other tickets before I even applied. Oh and make sure you can provide a clean urine sample.!

Initiate

PostSat Mar 10, 2012 9:31 pm » by Alwaysincontrol

I'm a landman and just about any job in the oilgas field starts at 80k/year. I'm at 140k and have been in this business almost 8 years. 1/3 of the income is also tax free. The only downside is most employers dont provide insurance or retirement but when you're making that much it doesnt matter and retirement will just be put into 401k which will be sucked try by wallstreet so it doesnt matter.
"It is done, now my eggs need nourishment" - Anna

Next