15 Reasons to Eat Organic Food

Master Conspirator

PostSat Apr 10, 2010 2:28 pm » by Drjones

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/15-rea ... -food.html :rtft:

1. In study after study, research from independent organizations consistently shows organic food is higher in nutrients than traditional foods. Research shows that organic produce is higher in vitamin C, antioxidants, and the minerals calcium, iron, chromium, and magnesium.

2. They’re free of neurotoxins–toxins that are damaging to brain and nerve cells. A commonly-used class of pesticides called organophosphates was originally developed as a toxic nerve agent during World War I. When there was no longer a need for them in warfare, industry adapted them to kill pests on foods. Many pesticides are still considered neurotoxins.
:clapper:

Initiate

PostSat Apr 10, 2010 3:31 pm » by Samkenman

I'm sure there are many better reasons than this....but....Natural foods just taste better!! I grew a garden with a giant tomato plant in it last year. It produced more toms than my family of 5 could eat. Mid-way through summer I was a bit short of toms for a large recipe of tomato/spaghetti sauce...so... I went to the store and bought a couple of toms. I sampled the store bought toms before I put them into my sauce.... Disgusting!!!! The store bought toms tasted nothing like the home grown toms. I did not use them in my sauce.

I challenge anyone to take a "taste test" ...store bought vs. home grown....And if you end up thinking the store bought tastes better...then you probably think cardboard taste good too.....
:cheers:
Take it easy...and if its easy...take it twice!!

Master Conspirator

PostSat Apr 10, 2010 3:43 pm » by Drjones

Yes m8 with you all the way,was just in the garden this morning.Home Grown organic fruit and veg is the ultimate,NOTHING compares to it,it's as fresh as you can get and everything tastes better,just planted some spuds this morning!! :)

Conspirator

PostSat Apr 10, 2010 4:17 pm » by Lilith

man I wish I had my own garden :(
..look at this dude..and his epic zucchini :)

Upload to Disclose.tv

we all need to get more into agriculture..and make our own compost tea ...world hunger would be gone in an instant :(
http://www.bountea.com/

Master Conspirator

PostSat Apr 10, 2010 5:44 pm » by Drjones

Hey lilith,how's you? ;)
I'd love a garden as nice as this lady,she has a show on BBC here in the UK so i guess tv is good for some things.Check out her lovely garden,including chickens,hmm now there's a thought,my own organic chickens and lots of eggs.You see from the video you can actually grow tons of food in a relatively small space,actually that garden is around the same size is my own,ack i have to keep tellin myself,all in good time....food crisis they tell us,gmo's they force on us?....yeah right :roll: ...

Upload to Disclose.tv

Conspirator

PostSat Apr 10, 2010 11:08 pm » by Lilith

I'm fine, a bit annoyed by studying :roll: I'd rather sit in mud and search for some worms for my (non-existent) chickens :(
I always enjoy visting my aunts farm (in kazakhstan!!)...fresh air, animals, nature...and the most beautiful night sky I have ever seen... :love:

I thought about transforming my balcony into a mini garden...at least this will give me some experience in gardening :)

Initiate

PostSat Apr 10, 2010 11:58 pm » by Alexrubic

samkenman wrote:I challenge anyone to take a "taste test" ...store bought vs. home grown....And if you end up thinking the store bought tastes better...then you probably think cardboard taste good too.....

Did you ever see Penn & Teller's Bull$hit episode on organic food? They actually did a blind taste test among 'organic' shoppers at a market...

Upload to Disclose.tv

The woman at the end sums it up...if you 'know', in advance, that something you are eating is organic (or non-organic) then maybe that, in itself, influences your perception of its taste? But then just how 'organic' is store-bought organic food compared to home-grown?

Master Conspirator

PostSun Apr 11, 2010 2:01 pm » by Drjones

alexrubic wrote:
samkenman wrote:I challenge anyone to take a "taste test" ...store bought vs. home grown....And if you end up thinking the store bought tastes better...then you probably think cardboard taste good too.....

Did you ever see Penn & Teller's Bull$hit episode on organic food? They actually did a blind taste test among 'organic' shoppers at a market...

Upload to Disclose.tv

The woman at the end sums it up...if you 'know', in advance, that something you are eating is organic (or non-organic) then maybe that, in itself, influences your perception of its taste? But then just how 'organic' is store-bought organic food compared to home-grown?

Yeah the Penn and Teller propaganda was a pure hit piece on organic food.Most if not all organic versus non organic taste tests i have viewed from TV and witnessed personally,because we do this all the time ourselves favours organic,especially the meat products like chicken and beef,some of the fruit i'll admit it is hard to tell but i still opt for organic and pay extra to avoid the pesticides and support the environment,organic is the way forward out of all our forms of agriculture IMO so it's getting my vote every time,if there is an organic option in the store i buy it...simple...

From my own experience KNOWING if the stuff is organic or non organic beforehand makes no difference to the taste you will experience.. :roll: this is a very REAL physical effect that happens...not something mystical or imaginary.