2 canadians killed in afghanistan

Initiate

PostSun Jun 27, 2010 5:01 am » by Fasteddie

from http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20 ... an-100626/

Two medics are the latest members of the Canadian Forces to be killed in Afghanistan.

Master Cpl. Kristal Giesebrecht of Wallaceburg, Ontario and Pte. Andrew Miller of Sudbury , Ontario were part of a unit dispatched to deal with a mine found in the doorway of a home when their vehicle detonated an improvised explosive device.

Giesebrecht, 34 and Miller, 21 were both medical technicians attached to the 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group.

Giesebrecht was serving her second tour in Afghanistan. Miller was serving his first.

A third soldier injured in the blast southwest of Kandahar City was airlifted to the Role 3 Hospital at Kandahar Airfield. He is listed in stable condition.

Acknowledging the rise of so-called "fighting season" in Afghanistan, the commander of Task Force Kandahar said these deaths underscore the present danger.

"Although we cannot say for certain that these medical personnel were targeted deliberately, it is for certain that the threat to Afghans stemming from the influence of out of area fighters at this time of year is very serious," Brig.-Gen Jonathan Vance told The Canadian Press.

In a statement issued Saturday, Prime Minister Stephen Harper extended his condolences to the soldiers' family and friends.

"These soldiers served bravely while helping to build a stable Afghanistan," Harper said.

"The courage and dedication demonstrated by Master Corporal Kristal Giesebrecht and Private Andrew Miller speak volumes about their pride in Canada and in creating a better country for the Afghan people."

The latest deaths bring to 150 the number of Canadian Forces members to die in the Afghanistan mission since it began in 2002.

Giesebrecht, who Vance described as a "mentor and an inspiration," is the third Canadian woman to be killed in combat during that time.

Capt. Nicola Goddard of the 1st Regiment of the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery, became the first when she was killed in a grenade attack in the Panjawi district in May 2006.

Twenty-one-year-old trooper Karine Blais of the 2nd Battalion of the Royal 22nd Regiment became the second when she was killed in a roadside bomb blast north of Kandahar last April.

According to the Department of Defence, IEDS are the single biggest cause of death for Canadians serving in Afghanistan. ten of 12 Canadian deaths recorded this year have been the result of an IED blast. Since the Canadian mission in Afghanistan began eight years ago, 91 of the 150 deaths were caused by some sort of improvised explosive device.

These are the second Canadian deaths in less than a week.

Sgt. James MacNeil of Glace Bay, N.S. was killed by an IED on June 20th while on a foot patrol near the village of Nakhonay.

Super Moderator

PostSun Jun 27, 2010 5:10 am » by Slith

fasteddie wrote:from http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20 ... an-100626/

Two medics are the latest members of the Canadian Forces to be killed in Afghanistan.

Master Cpl. Kristal Giesebrecht of Wallaceburg, Ontario and Pte. Andrew Miller of Sudbury , Ontario were part of a unit dispatched to deal with a mine found in the doorway of a home when their vehicle detonated an improvised explosive device.

Giesebrecht, 34 and Miller, 21 were both medical technicians attached to the 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group.

Giesebrecht was serving her second tour in Afghanistan. Miller was serving his first.

A third soldier injured in the blast southwest of Kandahar City was airlifted to the Role 3 Hospital at Kandahar Airfield. He is listed in stable condition.

Acknowledging the rise of so-called "fighting season" in Afghanistan, the commander of Task Force Kandahar said these deaths underscore the present danger.

"Although we cannot say for certain that these medical personnel were targeted deliberately, it is for certain that the threat to Afghans stemming from the influence of out of area fighters at this time of year is very serious," Brig.-Gen Jonathan Vance told The Canadian Press.

In a statement issued Saturday, Prime Minister Stephen Harper extended his condolences to the soldiers' family and friends.

"These soldiers served bravely while helping to build a stable Afghanistan," Harper said.

"The courage and dedication demonstrated by Master Corporal Kristal Giesebrecht and Private Andrew Miller speak volumes about their pride in Canada and in creating a better country for the Afghan people."

The latest deaths bring to 150 the number of Canadian Forces members to die in the Afghanistan mission since it began in 2002.

Giesebrecht, who Vance described as a "mentor and an inspiration," is the third Canadian woman to be killed in combat during that time.

Capt. Nicola Goddard of the 1st Regiment of the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery, became the first when she was killed in a grenade attack in the Panjawi district in May 2006.

Twenty-one-year-old trooper Karine Blais of the 2nd Battalion of the Royal 22nd Regiment became the second when she was killed in a roadside bomb blast north of Kandahar last April.

According to the Department of Defence, IEDS are the single biggest cause of death for Canadians serving in Afghanistan. ten of 12 Canadian deaths recorded this year have been the result of an IED blast. Since the Canadian mission in Afghanistan began eight years ago, 91 of the 150 deaths were caused by some sort of improvised explosive device.

These are the second Canadian deaths in less than a week.

Sgt. James MacNeil of Glace Bay, N.S. was killed by an IED on June 20th while on a foot patrol near the village of Nakhonay.

My dad is buried at Beechwood military cemetary here in Ottawa, the number of tombstones that have been added since his death is mind boggling. Many are ww2 vets, yet many are from Afghanistan. 18 and 19 year olds. They didn't have a chance to live.
I am proud of our men and women, but when will it end? Nothing will change over there after we are gone. It's futile!

I'm in desperate need of a 6 month vacation... twice a year.

Initiate

PostSun Jun 27, 2010 5:13 am » by Fasteddie

i hate the fact that ive served with a percentage of the afghan ones overseas=x

Super Moderator

PostSun Jun 27, 2010 5:18 am » by Slith

It cuts my heart out Naught.
I know you are a proud Canadian, so you know how I feel. I am gutted by this. I hate to see us lose our own, for something that is not winnable

Initiate

PostSun Jun 27, 2010 5:20 am » by Fasteddie

well dslith its petawawa thats there right now and doing a great job

Super Moderator

PostSun Jun 27, 2010 5:23 am » by Slith

fasteddie wrote:well dslith its petawawa thats there right now and doing a great job

I know this sir, and am so proud of them. :flop:

Initiate

PostSun Jun 27, 2010 5:29 am » by Fasteddie

on a side note beechwood is sad but a great place we made for the people who risked their lives both past and present wars

Initiate

PostSun Jun 27, 2010 5:32 am » by Fasteddie

naught wrote:
dlslith wrote:
fasteddie wrote:well dslith its petawawa thats there right now and doing a great job

My friend has been back there twice . He says the majority of the people love us and don't want us to go. He says they need us. He has been there and is a great guy. I would believe this man. He is willing to risk his life to help them :flop:

yah but not to insult your friend alot of them like what we give them not why were there everyday it was something else when i was there on the OMLT they'd ask for paraflares, id give them and they would shoot them off ass fireworks etc then come for more the next day and then the candy...dont let me get to the candy

Super Moderator

PostSun Jun 27, 2010 5:33 am » by Slith

naught wrote:
dlslith wrote:

My friend has been back there twice . He says the majority of the people love us and don't want us to go. He says they need us. He has been there and is a great guy. I would believe this man. He is willing to risk his life to help them :flop:

I salute your friend. A true Canadian, through and through. It's in our makeup, we do these things, yet get little respect from the rest of the world for our contributions, And that in itself is a shame

Super Moderator

PostSun Jun 27, 2010 5:35 am » by Slith

fasteddie wrote:on a side note beechwood is sad but a great place we made for the people who risked their lives both past and present wars

So true. Great point

Next