95 Million-Year-Old Bugs Found in African Amber!!!

Master Conspirator
Location: Packing my stuff and moving to Denver like you should be doing

PostMon Apr 05, 2010 9:49 pm » by Savwafair2012

Newly discovered pieces of amber have given scientists a peek into the Africa of 95 million years ago, when flowering plants blossomed across Earth and the animal world scrambled to adapt.

Suspended in the stream of time were ancestors of modern spiders, wasps and ferns, but the prize is a wingless ant (above) that challenges current notions about the origins of that globe-spanning insect family.

“Most specimens represent a unique fossil record of their group from Africa, and some are among the oldest records in the world,” wrote researchers in a paper April 5 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The amber, which is formed when plant resin fossilizes, preserving flora and fauna trapped within, was found in what is now northwest Ethiopia. Ninety-five million years ago, it was part of a disintegrating Gondwana, one of two vast land masses that spawned the seven modern continents.

Most amber deposits have been found in former parts of Laurasia, the other supercontinent of the time. The Gondwana record is relatively sparse.

The amber in the latest study dates to the middle of the Cretaceous era, which followed the dinosaur-dominated Jurassic and witnessed the rise of mammals, birds and flowering plants. Mammals get most of the attention, but changes to flora were just as profound.

Before the Cretaceous, flowering plants — which are now the most diverse type of terrestrial plant — didn’t exist. By the mid-Cretaceous, they dominated the land. Existing plants and animals had to adapt, filling the flowery new niches. The new study is a snapshot of that process.

While it will take years to interpret the ecological tales trapped in the new amber, one important story is already suggested. Inside the Ethiopian amber is an ant that looks nothing like ants found in Cretaceous amber from France and Burma. Those deposits had placed the origin of ants in Laurasia. That’s no longer certain.

“The Ethiopian amber is of great importance for improving our knowledge of the evolutionary history of terrestrial arthropods, plants and Fungi,” wrote the researchers.

Images: Photos From Alexander Schmidt/PNAS: 1) Wingless ant; 2) False fairy wasp; 3) Tree fern; 4) Springtail. Diagram: Breakup of Pangea./USGS.

FAIR USE NOTICE.
Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, . http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Initiate

PostMon Apr 05, 2010 10:13 pm » by Naranja

Once I found a dead fly on my floor, I estimated it to be atleast 200 billion years old.

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 05, 2010 11:25 pm » by Kingz

naranja wrote:Once I found a dead fly on my floor, I estimated it to be atleast 200 billion years old.

If that was supposed to be humor..... ah well :headscratch:

Cool stuff by the way Sav.... wondering when they are going to implement Jurassic Park style science... :peep:
The Map Is Not The Territory, The Word Is Not The Object....

Master Conspirator

PostMon Apr 05, 2010 11:28 pm » by Lowsix

Sav that was Killer!
Thanks boss.
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Writer

PostMon Apr 05, 2010 11:30 pm » by Blacktooth

the size of the balls on that thing
QUANTUM PHYSICS WHAT A BUZZ

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 05, 2010 11:55 pm » by Nihilgeist

Seeing news like this makes me wonder just how much of the animal/plant life existed in the past that we will have no idea about either because we haven't found preserved specimens yet or we never will because they didn't have the rare opportunity of being preserved for us to find.
Five Finger Death Punch
"I'd rather you hate me, for everything I am than ever love me, for something that I'm not."

Lowsix wrote:Seriously dude..you're trash.
Always have been.

Writer

PostTue Apr 06, 2010 12:04 am » by Blacktooth

nihilgeist wrote:Seeing news like this makes me wonder just how much of the animal/plant life existed in the past that we will have no idea about either because we haven't found preserved specimens yet or we never will because they didn't have the rare opportunity of being preserved for us to find.

excellent example of sooo many things your absoloutly right
QUANTUM PHYSICS WHAT A BUZZ

Initiate

PostTue Apr 06, 2010 1:49 am » by Hamal67

Nice post, this is interesting too.

Fossil hunter finds 140-million-year-old spider's web http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... s-web.html

Initiate

PostTue Apr 06, 2010 9:10 am » by Naranja

kingz wrote:
naranja wrote:Once I found a dead fly on my floor, I estimated it to be atleast 200 billion years old.

If that was supposed to be humor..... ah well :headscratch:

Cool stuff by the way Sav.... wondering when they are going to implement Jurassic Park style science... :peep:

No its true I compared it to an old log I found in my backyard thats also 200 billion years old.....

You see where im getting at? Yes I found it quite funny last night (hilarious actually) but It was more like, they cant be sure of how old stuff are I mean come on pin point 95 million years based on what? Its just "expert" guessing.

They have found petrified wood and fish before that they thought where millions of years old but when using other methods of measuring they found them to be just thousand years old. Who knows?

http://www.howtobuildadinosaur.com/
:cheers:

jetxvii

PostTue Apr 06, 2010 9:24 am » by jetxvii

im a tree wizard