A diy all in one solar power block

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 10:31 am » by Svaha

Last edited by TheDuck on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed your embed
Follow your bliss(ters) - Joseph Campbell

Super Moderator

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 11:49 am » by TheDuck

Looks pretty good man, wouldn't mind building one of those...

http://laserhacker.com/SOLN1.html
www.Vigusto.com - Premium E-liquid

"The Truth Cannot Be Told... It Must Be Realized"

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 12:07 pm » by Cia212

Wouldn't it be far cheaper to use a car battery? 20 amp hours, despite his enthusiasm, isn't that much. A car battery - even a cheap one - is usually ~50...and less than a third of the cost. Better ones are 100-225 amp hours.

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 12:36 pm » by Richc

Cia212 wrote:Wouldn't it be far cheaper to use a car battery? 20 amp hours, despite his enthusiasm, isn't that much. A car battery - even a cheap one - is usually ~50...and less than a third of the cost. Better ones are 100-225 amp hours.

Would like to be there when you take a car battery up a hill when you go camping.. :lol:

I can see how it would be usefull for outdoor stuff though.

However to be truely alternative energy source it would have to power your house right.?
At least the important stuff to get you through a disaster. ( freezer, tv/radio, lights. )

So how many batteries would be required to run at 2 kwh for instance.?

How big would the solar panel need to be to charge that many batteries in a reasonable time.?

How long will the batteries last before they need replacing.?

Usually this is where the whole solar power thing falls down for most people.

Of course the more panels and batteries you throw at it the better but then the cost is the problem.

RIK
"Theres A Storm Coming!"

Super Moderator

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 12:41 pm » by TheDuck

Would be cool just to run things like laptops and stuff as they cost a lot per year if you leave them on constantly like me :D

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 1:03 pm » by Cia212

TheDuck wrote:Would be cool just to run things like laptops and stuff as they cost a lot per year if you leave them on constantly like me :D

This system costs around $400. Here in LA, electricity is around $.19 KWH. Assuming you could run your laptop for 3-4 hours on this system per sunny day, you'd have to run it for 40 years to cover your original cost...of course you'd have to replace the batteries at least every year - another $200.

But, like Richc said, it would be a usable system for camping or emergencies.

Super Moderator

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 6:19 pm » by TheDuck

Cia212 wrote:
TheDuck wrote:Would be cool just to run things like laptops and stuff as they cost a lot per year if you leave them on constantly like me :D

This system costs around $400. Here in LA, electricity is around $.19 KWH. Assuming you could run your laptop for 3-4 hours on this system per sunny day, you'd have to run it for 40 years to cover your original cost...of course you'd have to replace the batteries at least every year - another $200.

But, like Richc said, it would be a usable system for camping or emergencies.

Electricity is pricey here but it would be cool to take everywhere, car jouneys camping etc...

Conspirator

PostFri Oct 26, 2012 11:37 pm » by Mydogma

:cheers:
Cia212 wrote:Wouldn't it be far cheaper to use a car battery? 20 amp hours, despite his enthusiasm, isn't that much. A car battery - even a cheap one - is usually ~50...and less than a third of the cost. Better ones are 100-225 amp hours.

:cheers: my thots exactly!
Not that I want to discourage thinking down that road..but all he has done is replace the batteries with ones that are expensive and I highly doubt would keep lights going any longer then a car battery..basically..just hook the solar panel(I'm assuming in the 20watt range as he has) to your car battery...this would be considered just a tricle charge I am sure at less then 2amps...then use whatever walmart cigarette plug converter u need and turn your headlights on and be amazed!...lol..but I did like the site and am interested in the capacitor project there..any good post and thanks for the website..
If you don't wake up, Your the problem, not the thief...www.cattledum.com

Conspirator

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 3:05 pm » by Svaha

I like people that can think out of the box, we've had lead car batteries for so long and nowadays they are manufactered to last only for a couple of years.
In the winter(cold) they perform bad, they contain (heavy)lead, take a longer time to reload, chemicals.
The batterie in the video you can make yourself, so you can make it to meet your cars energy needs, you can make it to last a lifetime, lightweight, fast reload, no lead ...

I've seen many many free energy devices to power up even homes, I've seen none of them actualy working.
This solar solution works, can be made by yourself ... it's a start.
I bet many people would be glad now to have something like this.
Follow your bliss(ters) - Joseph Campbell

Conspirator

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 3:20 pm » by Aragajag

Svaha wrote:I like people that can think out of the box, we've had lead car batteries for so long and nowadays they are manufactered to last only for a couple of years.
In the winter(cold) they perform bad, they contain (heavy)lead, take a longer time to reload, chemicals.
The batterie in the video you can make yourself, so you can make it to meet your cars energy needs, you can make it to last a lifetime, lightweight, fast reload, no lead ...

I've seen many many free energy devices to power up even homes, I've seen none of them actualy working.
This solar solution works, can be made by yourself ... it's a start.
I bet many people would be glad now to have something like this.

Why not have a coil spring that can be wound up when in motion for a starter energy.

Next