A question for the Atheist

Conspirator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 2:35 am » by Lucidlemondrop

roadkill wrote:My dog has eaten part of a ham bone and literally gave it to another dog. Picked it up and dropped it in front of the other dog. Does that mean my dog has a soul?

No, that means your dog is gonna beg for another ham bone from Daddy~
What a long strange trip it's been..............

Super Moderator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 2:37 am » by Spock

lucidlemondrop wrote:
roadkill wrote:My dog has eaten part of a ham bone and literally gave it to another dog. Picked it up and dropped it in front of the other dog. Does that mean my dog has a soul?

:pray:

damn right.

Conspirator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 2:40 am » by Lucidlemondrop

spock wrote:
lucidlemondrop wrote:

:pray:

damn right.

LOL

:flop:
What a long strange trip it's been..............

Conspirator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 2:48 am » by Daemonfoe

Interesting point about "fairness" spock. Though I'm not really convinced that animals cannot learn this idea. Some animals have traits like extreme loyalty, or caring, which can lead to the idea of fairness. Dogs for example, are extremely loving animals. Personally I think the ability to love and care is the basis for every other good action or idea including fairness.
The two choices we have are something starting from nothing, or something existing infinitely. These are both paradoxes. The existence of everything is therefore a paradox. -daemonfoe

Conspirator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 2:48 am » by Constabul

not sure what fairness is. "underlying fabric of "fairness" that transcends these."
This is a concept that we "Hope" others express. There is not fairness in life, quite the contrary. The morals indeed are shaped by societal influences, but i would say more so, in the terms you are equating, are from family / clan based relation ships, that can still be broken down to the "animal" based tendencies that have developed from pre historic time, and currently expressed in patriotism, nationalism, gender-ism, and any number of other "Group identifying terms.

These " morals" and "fairness" only exist because we deem to limit our actions to abide by them. Wheather threw indoctrination respect or fear. An a number of instances can be seen where the abidance has been abandoned. In which, where did that "fairness" ingrained by "God" go? was it just randomly abandoned, certainly you may believe that, but it is also possible it never existed to begin with. and is a purely self imposed concept developed over 1000s of years of tribal and civilization existence.

Conspirator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 2:50 am » by Daemonfoe

True fairness can never be obtained, but it can be attempted, and you can get further away from it or closer to it. Justice is an attempt at true fairness.
The two choices we have are something starting from nothing, or something existing infinitely. These are both paradoxes. The existence of everything is therefore a paradox. -daemonfoe

Super Moderator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 2:59 am » by Spock

All valid and good points guys. I guess I mean breaking it down to something along the lines as this...

Say we're kids, 7 years old, walking down the street, and one of us is taking the peal off an orange. The one with the orange is thoroughly enjoying it, and the other asks if he can have a bite. But of course. So the one extends a bite of the orange to the other.

2 weeks later, the same occurrence happens, yet this time it is the other with the orange...

1) He remembers the act, and reciprocates.
2) He waits to see if his buddy asks for a portion
3) He decides that even if his buddy asks - he will not give him a portion

I am not talking about a feeding to stay nourished in which tribes, packs, dens, etc.. work together, I am talking about the mundane occurrences in life. And the acts that separate people from being sociopaths.

Conspirator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 3:10 am » by Daemonfoe

spock wrote:All valid and good points guys. I guess I mean breaking it down to something along the lines as this...

Say we're kids, 7 years old, walking down the street, and one of us is taking the peal off an orange. The one with the orange is thoroughly enjoying it, and the other asks if he can have a bite. But of course. So the one extends a bite of the orange to the other.

2 weeks later, the same occurrence happens, yet this time it is the other with the orange...

1) He remembers the act, and reciprocates.
2) He waits to see if his buddy asks for a portion
3) He decides that even if his buddy asks - he will not give him a portion

I am not talking about a feeding to stay nourished in which tribes, packs, dens, etc.. work together, I am talking about the mundane occurrences in life. And the acts that separate people from being sociopaths.

several possibilities could happen from this point on.

the first kid may now decide to deny the second kid fruit in the future, then the second kid might think about how the other felt when it happened to him, or things could go totally opposite and the 2nd kid could continue to be a dick, or they could both become dicks, but chances are if you have the same unpleasant thing happen to you multiple times, that you did to someone else, you might think about how the other felt at least one of those times. ;)
Last edited by Daemonfoe on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Initiate

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 3:15 am » by Taintedsample

The answer to your question my friend is that there is a god.
And he is made of pasta.
This glorious union of bees and flowers were divined by the Great Spaghetti Monster, and came to be before his son Jesus Christ walked this earth.

It was said unto him:

Let there be Sauce and Meatballs
"touched by his Noodly Appendage"

Super Moderator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 3:17 am » by Spock

Okay.

PreviousNext