A question for the Atheist

Conspirator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 3:19 am » by Constabul

i bet daemonfoe is # 3
and i'm # 2 on that example table.

I not sure how this example can equate the a hidden hand of god < my words, but keying off what is implied> is at work.

Certainly, i do not discount the possibility of a grand creator,, or hell even a pantheon of creators, But what is the true significance of us as being, are not all the creatures a equal part of the equation, from the largest to the tininess. Parasites and the like.

I believe, < and this is just my opinion, whos to say im right> that the example you cite, still boils down to those learned behaviors, that are far from divinely inspired no matter how mundane they are. another action is at work, which is still sourced in observing the animal kingdom is alpha ism, and the hierarchy that is developed from that.

all fun topics, and great ponderings, but none of which brings any of us closer to the grand question, is god really there, or not there.

Conspirator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 3:20 am » by Tinman4higher

taintedsample wrote:The answer to your question my friend is that there is a god.
And he is made of pasta.
This glorious union of bees and flowers were divined by the Great Spaghetti Monster, and came to be before his son Jesus Christ walked this earth.

It was said unto him:

Let there be Sauce and Meatballs
"touched by his Noodly Appendage"

RAmen
Atheism is a non-prophet organization...GC

Initiate

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 3:22 am » by Ademu

roadkill wrote:
constabul wrote:morals are a matter of societal normal, that change with the times. many examples of this are present in life / history.
morals are not a universal concept, that all people share. Ones version of right and wrong, good or bad, varies depending on who is observing / expressing it. it could be argued that there is not a good or bad, right or wrong, but just existence.

There are plenty of examples " kind" acts by animals, as there are perceived ill acts on animals too. We are not separate from animals. I can post any number of "feel good" stories where animals have aided, other animals.

this is not a proof, nor dis proving of a "god" or "gods"

I agree, and I would go further to say that Animals are not lesser beings. They are equal to us, and in many ways superior.

Animals got it right, I'd trade swap places with just about any un-caged or domesticated animal

Super Moderator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 3:25 am » by Spock

constabul wrote:i bet daemonfoe is # 3

no no no - not at all. I was just slinging those out there and thinking of how someone could quickly come to a notion as to what to do next if they had to thank about the possibilities of the option

No need to internalize - I was thinking of me as a kid and some other non-existant kid in that scenario. Wearing striped shirts, with baseball caps and cuffs in the blue jeans (Opi-Taylorish).

Super Moderator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 3:30 am » by Spock

constabul wrote:all fun topics, and great ponderings, but none of which brings any of us closer to the grand question, is god really there, or not there.

Exactly the way I see it as well. The best I can do is not be ashamed to state how I feel and why I feel that way, and hope others can as well, and do it in an environment of not being hostile. Because - for the past 2 years, I have had my fill of forum hostility, and it would be refreshing, if we can, as you guys have shown, debate, disagree and be civil and not teenage about it.

To me that has been refreshing. And I thank you for it.

Conspirator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 3:31 am » by Constabul

spock wrote:
constabul wrote:i bet daemonfoe is # 3

no no no - not at all. I was just slinging those out there and thinking of how someone could quickly come to a notion as to what to do next if they had to thank about the possibilities of the option

No need to internalize - I was thinking of me as a kid and some other non-existant kid in that scenario. Wearing striped shirts, with baseball caps and cuffs in the blue jeans (Opi-Taylorish).

was all in jest :mrgreen:

it seemed funny to me to think of it as such, you being kid #1 of course :P

Conspirator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 3:35 am » by Constabul

spock wrote:
constabul wrote:all fun topics, and great ponderings, but none of which brings any of us closer to the grand question, is god really there, or not there.

Exactly the way I see it as well. The best I can do is not be ashamed to state how I feel and why I feel that way, and hope others can as well, and do it in an environment of not being hostile. Because - for the past 2 years, I have had my fill of forum hostility, and it would be refreshing, if we can, as you guys have shown, debate, disagree and be civil and not teenage about it.

it is one of the few ways to reach enlightenment. If even for only personal satisfaction and self growth. You can only hope you spill a little on others along the way. :flop:

damn connection problems, i hate dsl
:cheers:
peeps

Initiate

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 3:44 am » by Ademu

spock wrote:

You have no reason to be ashamed spock you've obviously used your brain, done your research, and for whatever reason something clicked for you. The fact that you reached that conclusion on your own impresses me, even if it differs from my belief. The issue we agnostics (at least the ones contributing to the thread) is that people aren't using their brains when they approach this topic, but that wouldn't even come close to applying to you. Much respect.

I agree the tone of conversation on dtv has been most refreshing of late and I hope it continues

Cheers mate :cheers:

Super Moderator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 3:48 am » by Spock

Humbled - thank you very much.

Cheers to you guys as well.

Conspirator

PostFri Apr 08, 2011 8:52 am » by Daemonfoe

Exactly.

The way I like to think about it is like this:

It can't be proven that there is or isn't a God, but it can be proven that we don't know the truth.
The two choices we have are something starting from nothing, or something existing infinitely. These are both paradoxes. The existence of everything is therefore a paradox. -daemonfoe

Previous