A thread about cooking

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 04, 2011 1:30 am » by Thebluecanary

Oh, I am so freaking hungry and this thread is killing me. I want to make that ramen right now, because I love me some ramen noodles...I like to drain out all the water, toss in some jarred alfredo sauce, swish it around and then add the seasoning packet. Ate it for 4 years of college and I still like it today. :)

Here is something I make when I want a dish that looks really fancy like I tried hard but really I'm too lazy to make something complicated:

Ravioli in Browned Butter Sauce

1 bag whatever kind of ravioli you want. Tortellini will work too. I like plain cheese or the butternut squash kind but whatever floats you.

1 bottle balsamic vinegar (get good stuff not cheap stuff)

1 stick salted butter

1 bunch green onions

good grated Parmesan cheese. (for the love of god, not the green can people)

Boil your ravioli according to the package. While they are going, melt that stick of butter in a large saucepan. Once it starts to bubble up good and make a little bit of white foam, it is "browned." Splash some balsamic in there and swish it around. Let it bubble up a little. It will start to thicken up like syrup (a reduction, because you are evaporating the water out of it) and when it does take your ravioli with a slotted spoon and put them in the pan with the sauce and stir them until they are well coated. If the sauce is right it will stick to them and glaze them really pretty. At this point, you can add some of the parm if you want. It will half ass melt in the sauce and make it even thicker. Put the ravioli on some plates and chop the green part of the green onions over it. Mmmmmm. Dates find this dish pretty impressive.

Spock! That's my mamaw Smith's Chowchow recipe and I want to make it right now so bad!
Remember, in a real conspiracy, all players are pawns regardless of their rank.
-----Christopher Hyatt

Super Moderator

PostMon Apr 04, 2011 1:34 am » by domdabears

spock wrote:If you like the idea of sweet and sour meatballs, you'd like these.

As far as gross, I have come across some really gross recipes before. I'm still tasting, and makes me want to barf a little, a recipe for a meat/cheese/spinach dip I got off the Better Homes and Gardens web site. Doesn't sound bad at first, but it had a ton of nutmeg in it.

Blrrrrpppkkk. Excuse me.

Wanna duck up anything with cheese and meat, put nutmeg in it.

its the pre made meatballs that got me. I hate those.
and when i saw syrup and ketchup...
im really not big on the sweet and sour.

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 04, 2011 1:35 am » by SUKHOV

thebluecanary wrote:Oh, I am so freaking hungry and this thread is killing me. I want to make that ramen right now, because I love me some ramen noodles...I like to drain out all the water, toss in some jarred alfredo sauce, swish it around and then add the seasoning packet. Ate it for 4 years of college and I still like it today. :)

Here is something I make when I want a dish that looks really fancy like I tried hard but really I'm too lazy to make something complicated:

Ravioli in Browned Butter Sauce

1 bag whatever kind of ravioli you want. Tortellini will work too. I like plain cheese or the butternut squash kind but whatever floats you.

1 bottle balsamic vinegar (get good stuff not cheap stuff)

1 stick salted butter

1 bunch green onions

good grated Parmesan cheese. (for the love of god, not the green can people)

Boil your ravioli according to the package. While they are going, melt that stick of butter in a large saucepan. Once it starts to bubble up good and make a little bit of white foam, it is "browned." Splash some balsamic in there and swish it around. Let it bubble up a little. It will start to thicken up like syrup (a reduction, because you are evaporating the water out of it) and when it does take your ravioli with a slotted spoon and put them in the pan with the sauce and stir them until they are well coated. If the sauce is right it will stick to them and glaze them really pretty. At this point, you can add some of the parm if you want. It will half ass melt in the sauce and make it even thicker. Put the ravioli on some plates and chop the green part of the green onions over it. Mmmmmm. Dates find this dish pretty impressive.

Spock! That's my mamaw Smith's Chowchow recipe and I want to make it right now so bad!

WOW with alfredo! that sounds amazing!
oh and that recipe..amazing. I love pasta and especially cheese raviolis and tortellinis!
awesome! thanks :)
The True Sons of Liberty are alive and well.
Мое сердце, мой спаситель, да будет свет.

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 04, 2011 1:37 am » by Giusdude

well, i just put my gnocchi in the oven. went food shopping with the wife around 4 pm, came back home, put the stuff away, went back to this thread and decided "why not do it tonight?"....
wife loves it, it's brownie points.....
as long as there's one idiot around wlling to believe bullshit, there will be a bullshitter

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 04, 2011 1:38 am » by Chrisfryfyi

My recipe for a cheese diping sauce for nachos!

warm 3 big nobs of butter in a pan, add 1 teasoon of flour, any.. whisk whisk whisk for a about 30 seconds, add a little milk.. whisk whisk whisk, and add SHIT LOADS OF CHEESE BAM whisk whisk whisk

bam u got ur self some bad mans dipp

chedar 4 eva

Super Moderator

PostMon Apr 04, 2011 1:39 am » by Spock

It's my Maw Maws recipe too! We even called her MawMaw. God bless the carolinas!

Best sushi roll:

Good sushi rice and seaweed paper. Roll in tuna, asparagus, cucumber.

On outside of roll, wrap in filets of tuna. Top with jap mayo mixed with shredded crab and bits of shrimp, octopus and smelt ( the little orange flying fish eggs). Drizzle a dash of eel brown sauce on top and a few tempura flakes.

I could eat that 5 nights a week

Super Moderator

PostMon Apr 04, 2011 2:00 am » by domdabears

I made Rabbit stew not too long ago and used this recipe. It was... AWESOME!
It was $9 for a full sized rabbit. Next time it's gonna be free, cause I'm goin wabbit huntin.

1 rabbit, about 3 pounds, cut up
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped celery
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon salt ( I used a lot more than that)
dash pepper
1 bay leaf (I used 3)
4 cups water (or chicken stock)
4 cups dry red wine (I recommend white)
2 cups diced carrots
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
4 ounces sliced mushrooms, sauteed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Cut the four legs off, and then cut the rest into 4 pieces.
Coat the wabbit in flour and then brown it.
Add your water or stock and wine in to a big pot with all the veggies and bring to a boil.
After boil put in your wabbit, reduce heat and simmer for at least 2 hours. You can even go to 4-5 hours. The longer the better. Stir in the rest of that flour for a thicker broth and continue to cook.
The rabbit will be the healthiest "chicken" you've ever eaten.
It tastes just like chicken, but it does have a lot of small bones.

Super Moderator

PostMon Apr 04, 2011 2:11 am » by Spock

Awesome! A year or so back my buddy got pissed at all the squirrels in his yard. Went jihad on them. One poor bastard got midieval treatment and wound up on a plate fried with gravy and rice.

He was kind enough to email pictures of the brutal carnage. And it looks delicious, when prepared. I'll have to dig those pics up and post them.

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 04, 2011 2:21 am » by Iamthatiam

Corned Human and Cabbage

One 3-pound human brisket, soaked in brine
2 Tbsp allspice
8 whole cloves
4 bay leaves
Assorted vegetables (carrots, squash, bell peppers, eggplant, onions, etc.)
Freshly ground black pepper
preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the corned human in a colander in the sink and rinse well under cold running water. Place the corned human in a large Dutch Oven with a tight-fitting lid; add the water, bay leaves, peppercorns, allspice and cloves. Bring to a boil, uncovered, and skim off any scum (many humans are full of scum). Cover and place in oven, then braise until tender, about 4 hours. Remove meat to a cutting board and cover with foil to keep warm. Add vegetables to cooking liquids and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Carve the human into thin slices and serve with the vegetables.

Stewed Belly Looks tasty!

Human Stew
Vegetable oil, for searing
2 1/2 pounds shoulder meat, cut into 2-inch cubes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 medium onions, cut into 6ths
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/3 cup all-purpose flour, or to cover
10 cups cold water, or chicken or human broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
6 sprigs parsley
6 sprigs fresh thyme
1 1/4 pounds medium red potatoes, quartered
4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 celery stalks, cut into 2-inch pieces
7 canned whole, peeled tomatoes, lightly crushed
2 to 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar, or to taste
Heat a large Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Pour in enough oil to fill the pan about 1/4-inch deep. Season the person generously with salt and pepper, and add to the pan. Saute half the meat, uncovered, stirring only occasionally, until well-browned, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the person to a plate. Repeat with the remaining meat. Discard the oil and wipe out the pan.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Return the pot to the stove and melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 1 minute more. Add the reserved human and scatter the flour over the vegetable and human mixture (enough to lightly coat) and cook stirring until lightly toasted. Add the water or broth, and bring to a simmer. Tie the parsley, thyme, and bay leaves together with a piece of kitchen twine and add the bundle to the pot. Season with 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste. Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook the meat until just tender, about 1 1/2 hours. (This can also be done on the stove at a low simmer.)

Remove pot from the oven. Skim the fat from the cooking liquid with a spoon or ladle. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, and the tomatoes, and bring to a simmer on top of the stove. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid thickens and the vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Remove and discard the herb bundle. Stir in the vinegar and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Divide among bowls and serve immediately.

Tip:Spice your meal with some pepperoni to give it that extra piece of delicacy and flavo(u)r

Enjoy!
:twisted:

"The Heaven's Lights are fed by the energy generated inside the furnaces of Hell; I AM One Conductive Wire! "

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 04, 2011 3:27 am » by 99socks

That sweet 'n sour meatball recipe looks gross...

Try this one. :twisted:

Meatballs:
1 lb hamburger
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 egg
2 tbsp soy sauce

Sauce:
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c cider vinegar
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 tomato, diced
1 c pineapple chunks, with juice
1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 c water

Mush up the meatball stuff, make tiny balls and fry in a wok. Remove meatballs to a plate; wipe out fat from bottom of wok with a paper towel. Then, dissolve brown sugar and vinegar; add peppers and tomatoes, and cook 2-3 minutes. Add pineapples and dissolved cornstarch, and mix until thick. Serve over rice. :banana:

PreviousNext