A virus that kills cancer

Initiate

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 1:18 am » by Edgar 2.0

Sitting in a refrigerator in a Swedish laboratory is what promises to be a cheap and effective cancer treatment. So why are the trials to bring it to market not going ahead?

On the snow-clotted plains of central Sweden where Wotan and Thor, the clamorous gods of magic and death, once held sway, a young, self-deprecating gene therapist has invented a virus that eliminates the type of cancer that killed Steve Jobs.

'Not "eliminates"! Not "invented", no!' interrupts Professor Magnus Essand, panicked, when I Skype him to ask about this explosive achievement.

'Our results are only in the lab so far, not in humans, and many treatments that work in the lab can turn out to be not so effective in humans. However, adenovirus serotype 5 is a common virus in which we have achieved transcriptional targeting by replacing an endogenous viral promoter sequence by…'

It sounds too kindly of the gods to be true: a virus that eats cancer.

'I sometimes use the phrase "an assassin who kills all the bad guys",' Prof Essand agrees contentedly.

Cheap to produce, the virus is exquisitely precise, with only mild, flu-like side-effects in humans. Photographs in research reports show tumours in test mice melting away.

'It is amazing,' Prof Essand gleams in wonder. 'It's better than anything else. Tumour cell lines that are resistant to every other drug, it kills them in these animals.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/9508895/A-virus-that-kills-cancer-the-cure-thats-waiting-in-the-coldc.html

And you can donate here, at the Uppsala Uni's website :

http://www.uu.se/en/support/oncolytic

Conspirator

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 10:37 pm » by 99socks

I'm not making light or tossing out your thread, but I can't help but be reminded of this:

Upload to Disclose.tv

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/obamas-doj-silent-as-new-black-panthers-leader-incites-violence-in-ferguson_082014

I can't speak about how much of the Constitution is in effect anymore... But thank God we still somewhat resemble a Republic and not a democracy!

Conspirator

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 10:47 pm » by Muchtyman

Don't you feel good when you donate ................. :sunny:

Brands 'Pink Out' for Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Image Image Image

Cancer Research - A Super Fraud?

"Everyone should know that most cancer research is largely a fraud and that the major cancer research organisations are derelict in their duties to the people who support them." - Linus Pauling PhD (Two-time Nobel Prize winner).

http://www.pnc.com.au/~cafmr/online/res ... ancer.html

Initiate

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 10:49 pm » by Edgar 2.0

Muchtyman wrote:Don't you feel good when you donate ................. :sunny:

Image Image Image

"Everyone should know that most cancer research is largely a fraud and that the major cancer research organisations are derelict in their duties to the people who support them." - Linus Pauling PhD (Two-time Nobel Prize winner).

Uppsala University (Swedish: Uppsala universitet) is a research university in Uppsala, Sweden, and is the oldest university in Sweden, founded in 1477. It ranks among the best universities in Northern Europe in international rankings and is generally considered one of the most prestigious institutions of higher learning in Europe.

I don't think Uppsala Uni is a fraud. Actually, i know they are not.

Initiate

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 10:53 pm » by Edgar 2.0

99socks wrote:I'm not making light or tossing out your thread, but I can't help but be reminded of this:

Upload to Disclose.tv

Well, anti-bodies as a principle are not such a modernistic idea. It's been used for many years.

Monoclonal antibodies (mAb or moAb) are monospecific antibodies that are the same because they are made by identical immune cells that are all clones of a unique parent cell. Monoclonal antibodies have monovalent affinity, in that they bind to the same epitope.

Given almost any substance, it is possible to produce monoclonal antibodies that specifically bind to that substance; they can then serve to detect or purify that substance. This has become an important tool in biochemistry, molecular biology and medicine. When used as medications, the non-proprietary drug name ends in -mab (see "Nomenclature of monoclonal antibodies").

The Avastin treatment i got for my cancer, works on the same principle.

Conspirator

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 10:55 pm » by Muchtyman

Edgar 2.0 wrote:

Image Image Image

Uppsala University (Swedish: Uppsala universitet) is a research university in Uppsala, Sweden, and is the oldest university in Sweden, founded in 1477. It ranks among the best universities in Northern Europe in international rankings and is generally considered one of the most prestigious institutions of higher learning in Europe.

I wasn't refering to your post , I was making a general comment about how big business cashes in on a disease which is entirely curable .

Initiate

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 10:59 pm » by Edgar 2.0

Muchtyman wrote:
Edgar 2.0 wrote:

Image Image Image

I wasn't refering to your post , I was making a general comment about how big business cashes in on a disease which is entirely curable .

:cheers:

Yes. A big business.

The media have criticized the high cost of a drug that doesn't cure cancer[citation needed] but only prolongs life[citation needed]. In the U.S., many insurance companies have refused to pay for all or part of the costs of bevacizumab. In countries with national health care systems (such as the UK and Canada), many of those national health services have restricted on the basis of cost-benefit calculations; in the U.K., for example, the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence has taken the public position that bevacizumab should not be funded by the NHS because it costs nearly £21,000 per patient but has only limited usage in cancer treatment because it merely extends life rather than providing a cure.[41] In 2006 the Scottish Medicines Consortium recommended against the NHS funding Avastin for first-line treatment of metastatic carcinoma of the colon or rectum, due to estimated costs of £24,000 to £93,000 per quality-adjusted life year (QALY).[42]

Though Genentech has adjusted the price for patients in certain situations,[citation needed] Genentech continues to insist that the benefit is worth the cost, and the medication's high cost helps cover the cost of the expensive and risky research needed to develop new drugs.

The addition of bevacizumab to standard treatment can prolong the lives of breast and lung cancer patients by several months, at a cost of $100,000 a year in the United States.[43] For colorectal cancer, Robert J. Mayer wrote in the New England Journal of Medicine that bevacizumab extended life by 4.7 months (20.3 months vs. 15.6 months) in the initial study, at a cost of $42,800 to $55,000.[44] Costs in other countries vary; in Canada it is reported to cost $40,000 CAD per year.[45]

And the thing about cancer is that it's such a personal malady. There're no rules about it, unfortunately...

Conspirator

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 1:31 am » by Toxic32

Edgar 2.0 wrote:
Sitting in a refrigerator in a Swedish laboratory is what promises to be a cheap and effective cancer treatment. So why are the trials to bring it to market not going ahead?

On the snow-clotted plains of central Sweden where Wotan and Thor, the clamorous gods of magic and death, once held sway, a young, self-deprecating gene therapist has invented a virus that eliminates the type of cancer that killed Steve Jobs.

'Not "eliminates"! Not "invented", no!' interrupts Professor Magnus Essand, panicked, when I Skype him to ask about this explosive achievement.

'Our results are only in the lab so far, not in humans, and many treatments that work in the lab can turn out to be not so effective in humans. However, adenovirus serotype 5 is a common virus in which we have achieved transcriptional targeting by replacing an endogenous viral promoter sequence by…'

If I had the money I would gladly support his mission. But I haven't. So all you rich fucks out there just remember you can't take it with you

It sounds too kindly of the gods to be true: a virus that eats cancer.

'I sometimes use the phrase "an assassin who kills all the bad guys",' Prof Essand agrees contentedly.

Cheap to produce, the virus is exquisitely precise, with only mild, flu-like side-effects in humans. Photographs in research reports show tumours in test mice melting away.

'It is amazing,' Prof Essand gleams in wonder. 'It's better than anything else. Tumour cell lines that are resistant to every other drug, it kills them in these animals.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/9508895/A-virus-that-kills-cancer-the-cure-thats-waiting-in-the-coldc.html

And you can donate here, at the Uppsala Uni's website :

http://www.uu.se/en/support/oncolytic
I question everything. I don't believe anything I'm told or anything I see. Prove it, or fuck off. And that's not me I see in the mirror in the morning.