Am I alone? My thoughts on religion.

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 18, 2011 3:51 am » by Eliakim

1. I am beyond religion. However, I like reviewing historical texts through the eyes of a healer and a mystic.
2. I embrace that there have been and will always be Sons of God
3. The Sabbath is everyday when you do the will of God everyday.
4. Heaven and Hell are states of being. Once you have experienced the first heaven within, you never go to hell again.
5. The healing arts of Reiki, Crystals, Sound, Shamanism, Aromatherapy, Healing with flowers, trees and nature can all be viewed in the biblical texts. Prophet Ezekiel was also the ECO prophet and defended the feminine.
6. As Christ said 'Christianity was never born, it is still in the womb'. Hmm, that links in with the John the DIVINE PILLAR in the Cathedral.
7. Ever wondered why people in the West took on the beliefs and legends from Israel when they had their own? The peasants that were united with the land that they lived on, were promised equality with the Lords that oppressed them.

Writer

PostMon Apr 18, 2011 3:53 am » by Tcs042

yes you are,,,,,religion is a joke, why god give baby HIV or why does god made animal feel pain if there are food. god could have made us like plants that take in the sun light for food. BUT NO

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 18, 2011 4:02 am » by Helios

tcs042 wrote:yes you are,,,,,religion is a joke, why god give baby HIV or why does god made animal feel pain if there are food. god could have made us like plants that take in the sun light for food. BUT NO

:nwo: the nw mother fucking o.....and the rest of the dark side. and we are not as simple as plants
Let me take the waves out of the ocean
Let me take the stars down from the sky
Let me take the faith from your foundation
Let me take the wrong to make it right
Let me take away the dark like I’ve been here all night
Ending before I begin

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 18, 2011 5:08 am » by Constabul

rydher wrote:This site brings all kinds..

Hello rydher, opinions are many, and Re interpretation is a dime a dozen.

It is good your questioning, and wanting to know more of the beliefs of others about this blue ball.

I too questioned the same things while I was a christian. Spent some time believing i was reborn again even. Here is a recent exchange with another good fellow of this forum who i respect, and is on his own journey of life, and the premise he posed, and my reply to him. I will add to it too at the end.

constabul wrote:
samuelthemule wrote:It's all well and good blaming god,
as a thing which is outside of yourself,
or not believing that anything outside of yourself exists,
but what are you going to do about the fact, that,
you exist?

:think:

Interesting.

One has to operate from a premise of there being a god to blame.
In which one has to "know" god to blame god.
How does your thoughts flow in the circumstance that to know god, is beyond mortal man.
To know that it is just one god who is to blame, and not a pantheon. Loki for example.

Does believing that there is a god, and blaming him, automatically mean that the individual is exempting his or her personal responsibility? They indeed could be well aware of their part they play in circumstances of life, and still find room to blame god.. does this mean they are wrong in doing so, and why?

Is there a fallacy in believe in self reliance, or shaping ones own destiny, for as much as our short lives amount to. Is self reliance, and shaking a fist in a "gods" face, a bad thing when the circumstances of life leads to a road of hardship, That others claim to have the intervention of god threw miracles, and there be no real difference between the two?

do we really exist? or are we an echo of a illusion, a frequency that had taken the form of solid matter expressing its self. What is the true nature of reality? Is there another version of you but in antimatter form? Or multiple yous across many dimensions , who is to say who is the original, or how even a god concept plays into that, you could just be a thought process expressed by that god brain, or just a simulation in a computer. You could just be a parasite infecting the earth, like parasites infect the human body.
By what authority can you distinguish anything for that matter? by your sight? your perceived knowledge at this moment? how bout 20 years from now? or 100? how will your perception effect reality then?
Does any of it really mean a damn, and more so your point is in doing the most good one can in ones life, to benefit not only the self but other, but who can say what good really is?

Is God real? Well many have believed so. Someone mentioned the worship of the sun. Many of the current beliefs started as such, and grew more complex from there. The nature of society, humans changing from clan or pack based primitive groupings to tribal, and village based cultures brought about more complicated belief structures. The conduct of the wild man to the civilized man brought about many levels of what we consider morals. There was another thread that discussed this in some detail recently the-dangers-of-moral-certainty-t48842.html .
We are primarily still family based groups, But still function of instincts. Morals are a check point to animal like behaviors, in hopes that we are more then just animals. < which i believe we are not> We have developed from observing animals, alpha ism what have you.

Believing in a god is one way we elevate ourselves above our animal brothers and sisters, when we are all passengers on this rock.
Many of the things you question are just concepts. Formulated ideas as to try and explain the unexplainable. Modern science has bridged many gaps in that knowledge, and religions have tried to adapt, or just turned a blind eye. Faith, what have you.
If the measure of a belief system is by the acts of their point man, jesus has a lot of competition, and some greater in deeds and such, a detailed study of history can fill in those gaps. If the measure of a belief is how long it has been followed, again Christianity will have to take a back seat to a number of other religions.
There is nothing outstanding that marks Christianity above other religions. You can find many of the same ideals and concepts in other religions, which you said as much just not in the same words.

Certainly the greater ideal at work is to be a good man/woman in society. Tho the nature of good is again a concept, that can be debated.
So best to you on your journey to find your answers, I, personally believe that to know of god. If it is there or not, is beyond the human ability, and those claiming as such are expressing a egotism that is to inflate their own self worth. Our lives are but a blink in the grand scheme of time. Could there be more after this existence, maybe, which could possibly lead to good topics and discussions. Tho if there is, i doubt it has anything to do with a god concept that was developed 1000s of years ago, Or being seated at the side of a god.
These in the end are just my opinion, to question is good, to determine to have the answer is arrogance, There are many better pursuits to be troubled with in life other then what is the nature of god, and what team he plays for.
could there be? sure why not
could there not be? sure why not
Certainly strange things happen, but there is much yet explained and for things that were once the acts of god, science has show that it really was not. understanding is not complete, once it is, you may have that answer to "is there a god"

Writer

PostMon Apr 18, 2011 5:43 am » by Ftt0024

lahlaos wrote:
rydher wrote:This site brings all kinds and I haven't come across anyone that thinks like I do. Is there anyone else? My spiritual journey has been a long one to this point and it's not over. I'd like to hear what others think and maybe offer their own views. You never know what someone will say that will cause me to rethink things. That being said, please don't just spout out irrational slams toward religion. There are plenty of threads for that.

Here is what I believe.

1. I consider myself a Christian.
2. I believe Jesus was the son of God, died for man's sins, and rose again.
3. Saturday is the Sabbath.
4. There is a hell, but it's not the eternity of fire.

Of course there is more but it's a good start for this post. Now for some questions.

1. What about other religions? Do they miss out on eternal life with God? What if someone has never heard about Christianity and worships something else. Would God turn his back on them?
- A. I struggled with this one. It may sound contradictory to Christian teachings but I think no. If you look at religions around the world you can see at the core, all they basically ask you to do is be a good person. I know that's an over simplification of things.

2. What if they have been introduced to Christianity and turn their back to it, continuing to worship as they have been taught? Will God then turn his back on them?
- A. I believe religion is a very personal thing. While I am a Christian, I would like to think God can mean different things to different people. I find it hard to place God into this Christianity box and not let him out. God is everything, created all. I don't think how you interpret God is important. It's how you live your life and what you do with it.

3. What is hell? Is it the eternal pain and suffering most think of?
- A. No. I think the eternal lake of fire is reserved for Gods true enemies at the end. I think hell is the total absence of God. I compare it to taking the person you most love in this world and having them act as if you don't exist. How painful would it be if that person ignored your calls, never reached out to you, never mentioned you in conversation and if you ran into them, they weren't rude to you. They truly went about their business as if you weren't didn't. Now imagine God doing that to you. That would be hell.

4. Organized religion. What of it?
- A. This may seem contradictory to the organization of Christianity, but I'm not naive and understand the need to place things in some type of order. But I think organized religion has great intentions, but man being man will always corrupt it. Religion seems to be such a complicated subject but I don't think it is. It's actually very simple.

Questions for me? Disagree with something I said? Think something different? I'd like to hear it. :cheers:

I think that was really good and I agree with everything you said, I think things are very simple and I think there is a saviour from whatever it is that is coming and I think the religious books and teachings are all good in meaning, but over-complicated by man and words...I think 'be good' is as simple as that.

I think people are lost.....so many things abuzz, there is a foul air, and I want to find them who watch so they will take me away...

People are lost, and you are not going to find the answers by going to church, reading the bible, and giving your life to "god." If you want the answers then go find them! The truth is out there.

Research religion and where it came from. Christianity was not the first religion nor was it even close. See the bible for it's true meaning, which is filled with symbolic messages and metaphors. Many stories in the bible, like the flood, were already written about thousands of years before hand, including the creation of Adam. In the epic of creation (the Sumerians description of humans origins) they explain how the first man was genetically created and how is name was Adamu. See the similarities. Adam -- Adamu...... The epic of creation is VERY similar to the Book of Genesis. Many stories in the bible are based off true events, but should not be considered actual history. If you want the truth then you need to go back further in history and learn about the very first civilization on this planet called the Sumerians. Their land which they called Sumer, was located in Mesopotamia which is modern day Iraq.

There is a reason why you don't learn about the Sumerian's in school. You learn about the Egyptians, Mayans, Romans, Greeks, and every other civilization in history except Sumer.
Follow the Truth -- Open your eyes, do your research, and start to prepare

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 18, 2011 6:00 am » by Daemonfoe

rydher wrote:This site brings all kinds and I haven't come across anyone that thinks like I do. Is there anyone else? My spiritual journey has been a long one to this point and it's not over. I'd like to hear what others think and maybe offer their own views. You never know what someone will say that will cause me to rethink things. That being said, please don't just spout out irrational slams toward religion. There are plenty of threads for that.

Here is what I believe.

1. I consider myself a Christian.
2. I believe Jesus was the son of God, died for man's sins, and rose again.
3. Saturday is the Sabbath.
4. There is a hell, but it's not the eternity of fire.

Of course there is more but it's a good start for this post. Now for some questions.

1. What about other religions? Do they miss out on eternal life with God? What if someone has never heard about Christianity and worships something else. Would God turn his back on them?
- A. I struggled with this one. It may sound contradictory to Christian teachings but I think no. If you look at religions around the world you can see at the core, all they basically ask you to do is be a good person. I know that's an over simplification of things.

2. What if they have been introduced to Christianity and turn their back to it, continuing to worship as they have been taught? Will God then turn his back on them?
- A. I believe religion is a very personal thing. While I am a Christian, I would like to think God can mean different things to different people. I find it hard to place God into this Christianity box and not let him out. God is everything, created all. I don't think how you interpret God is important. It's how you live your life and what you do with it.

3. What is hell? Is it the eternal pain and suffering most think of?
- A. No. I think the eternal lake of fire is reserved for Gods true enemies at the end. I think hell is the total absence of God. I compare it to taking the person you most love in this world and having them act as if you don't exist. How painful would it be if that person ignored your calls, never reached out to you, never mentioned you in conversation and if you ran into them, they weren't rude to you. They truly went about their business as if you weren't didn't. Now imagine God doing that to you. That would be hell.

4. Organized religion. What of it?
- A. This may seem contradictory to the organization of Christianity, but I'm not naive and understand the need to place things in some type of order. But I think organized religion has great intentions, but man being man will always corrupt it. Religion seems to be such a complicated subject but I don't think it is. It's actually very simple.

Questions for me? Disagree with something I said? Think something different? I'd like to hear it. :cheers:

1. I think the requirement to this one is "Accepting Christ". So it depends how literal you take it. This could be specifically believing and accepting Jesus Christ, or if taken as non-literally as possible, it could mean "Accepting that we are all one."

2. This can be answered with #1.

3. The Christian idea of hell is ridiculous to me. Sure you can take this literally, but if anything like it existed I think it would be more like if you had a soul or energy or something that allows you to carry on as an individual entity after death, and you rejected or could not accept the reality of death when your body dies, then you could become locked in a state of fear or panic where your worst fears manifest around you and inside you. I think this would be very similar to a very bad psychedelic trip. You could get over this if your soul has the capability to accept and forgive and regret enough to learn and become wise enough to not create this hell around yourself (and others, who are basically yourself).

4. All organized religion, including Christianity are based on assumptions. Sure this is debatable, but at this point in time, everything about religion is complete speculation. Personally I think it's foolish to believe something that can't be proven just because it feels right or sounds good, but to some people it is a comfort blanket. In my opinion, life isn't about making a spiritual guess, and hoping you're right in the end. Life is simply about doing what you feel is right, and being able to live with yourself, because if you can't live with yourself, then who can? For example, if when you die, if you were to merge with other souls, and you didn't even like yourself, then how would the rest of the souls accept you? This is just an example, but if you believe that we are all one, then at one point, in the past or future, you will have experienced existence not as an individual, but as a part of that whole.
The two choices we have are something starting from nothing, or something existing infinitely. These are both paradoxes. The existence of everything is therefore a paradox. -daemonfoe

Writer

PostMon Apr 18, 2011 6:15 am » by Toxsick

rydher wrote:1. What about other religions? Do they miss out on eternal life with God? What if someone has never heard about Christianity and worships something else. Would God turn his back on them?
:

That;s the big question isn't it? Do you not think there are people in other religions that have wondered that same exact question? that's what you people of religious belief fail to realize. . Every person in every other religion thinks about you and your religion the same way that you prob think about everyone else and their religion. Your not all in different boats, you're all in the same boat. Sitting in different parts of the same boat maybe, but the same boat none the less. When are you people going to realize this?

You also said "all they basically ask you to do is be a good person". Do you feel you need religion to do this? that without religion you would be a murderous, thieving shell of a person? I have said this before, people don't need a book to tell them what is right and wrong, especially when your an adult. I call it the law of DUH. Either you give a shit or you don't. You have a conscience or you don't. It's that simple. And if you really feel you need a book or a group to tell you these things, then i feel sorry for you.

And as far as organized religion....not necessary and does more harm then good. Let me ask you this. If you for some reason could never go to church again, do you think that would make any difference in your faith? in what you believe? People like to do things together, so is it natural that people who like to worship would come together to do so? Of course. The main problem I have with it is the power that such groups feel is necessary. Politically, monetarily,lawfully. Have to but their nose in everything in the name of what they believe in. They say this country "u.s.a." was founded on religious freedom. O.k, fine. But no where does it say that the religions that the founders were seeking freedom for, shall be forced upon or used as leverage on the other people who live in said country and it's laws and way of life.

It's like an e-mail i got from my aunt a while back, one of the ones that make rounds around the net....."it is said that 86% of American's believe in god, so why don't the other 14% SHUT THE HELL UP!" REALLY?? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!!!

And PLEASE, let's all be HONEST. Religion basically started back when the cave men didn't know what the hell lightning was or an eclipse or storms were and their feeble minds thought it was something "supernatural" for lack of a better word. It started from ignorance and fear and continues the same. As intelligent as we like to think we are, were just as stupid. And as long as religion continues to be a part of our minds and influencing our way of life, we will NEVER reach the apex we need to reach in order to truly evolve.

"Science is the search for the truth, religion is accepting the answers that you are given." -Me

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts
"If I never disappoint you, how can I surprise you?"

Initiate

PostMon Apr 18, 2011 6:21 am » by Sentientseed

I once posed a question to Baptist Minister who has several degrees in religion as well as Hebrew, Greek, Philosophy, etc. He taught all these courses at a college I attended.

The question I asked him in front of our philosophy class was this....

Why are your a Christian?

He is a very very very intelligent man. Very charismatic. Very personable. Very humerous as well. Great teacher.

Yet his response was far from what I expected.

He talks some about bible verses and life...then he answers the question with this...

Because the bible tells me I shall see God. I will be given a new body and I shall see God. He patted his foot down whilst firmly gripping the bible and looking up at the ceiling as if already in the presence of some almighty force.

I found this an odd answers.

I asked him after he get's this reward of seeing god which he seeks...then what. He had no answer of any substance.

I then said...

So what happened to loving others and doing the "Lord's Work" because that is what is in your heart and not merely doing such things for a promise of reward?

To me...it may be great and all that good things get done regardless of intent...and as they say...even the road to hell can be paved with good intentions.

But, the intent of a person is where it begins and ends. It is within a person...not merely and outward appearance of such. It is all within. The intent of the heart transformations may be extracted from such tales as baptism, Christ death and resurrection, and including the tale of Hiram Abiff and the 3 degrees of masonry among many others.

I think this is something many in the religious paths forget or ignore...and moreso address the external pomp and pompous self righteousness. In doing so they never realize they never changed.....they are the same person in a different emperors new clothes.
"There is more than just one answer to these questions pointing me in a crooked line. The less I seek my source for some definite...the closer I am to fine!"~Indigo girls

Initiate

PostMon Apr 18, 2011 7:22 am » by Pestcontrol

lemsip wrote:hey pestcontrol i was once like you .until i got out of the rat race. And quoting a boyzone
song is
so wrong. I hope god can forgive you.

I am supposed to be on 25mg of olanzapine a day out of the rat race and they only make a 20 mg tablet, in fact hannibal lectur would only be on 5mg of that stuff lmao... that was after working for 45 years and having a breakdown... they would drug up most of the people on here given half the chance... to be honest i only take them two days before a blood test... i actually once asked them to lock me up in a secure facility and they said unless you kill somebody we cant help you. so the next time you read about a nut job running around a shopping mall chopping up shoppers you know why.

On the plus side i have total freedom, i can study 24/7 and they are paying me to do exactly what i want and once you get over the stigma of been classed as mad it really is fun lmao.
I have not seen a shrink in over three years we came to an agreement to avoid each other.

but after listening to that song on ytube i think i will book myself in :D

Initiate

PostMon Apr 18, 2011 12:53 pm » by Georgedragon

sentientseed wrote:I once posed a question to Baptist Minister who has several degrees in religion as well as Hebrew, Greek, Philosophy, etc. He taught all these courses at a college I attended.

The question I asked him in front of our philosophy class was this....

Why are your a Christian?

He is a very very very intelligent man. Very charismatic. Very personable. Very humerous as well. Great teacher.

Yet his response was far from what I expected.

He talks some about bible verses and life...then he answers the question with this...

Because the bible tells me I shall see God. I will be given a new body and I shall see God. He patted his foot down whilst firmly gripping the bible and looking up at the ceiling as if already in the presence of some almighty force.

I found this an odd answers.

I asked him after he get's this reward of seeing god which he seeks...then what. He had no answer of any substance.

It's called Delusion.

Delusion replaces responsability when people choose religion instead of taking responsability for their own life, they choose to rely on their imaginary friend to take the responsability.

And because they now have no responsability, "you know it's God's work not mine, therefore i can do anything i like in God's name", including Lying, Cheating and even Mass Murder!
Be the change you want to see.

PreviousNext