Am I alone? My thoughts on religion.

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 18, 2011 2:06 pm » by Rydher

Awesome, awesome responses. Thank you all. Some responses are deeper than other and will take a few rereads after I drink my coffee.

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 18, 2011 2:27 pm » by Nihilgeist

rydher wrote:This site brings all kinds and I haven't come across anyone that thinks like I do. Is there anyone else? My spiritual journey has been a long one to this point and it's not over. I'd like to hear what others think and maybe offer their own views. You never know what someone will say that will cause me to rethink things. That being said, please don't just spout out irrational slams toward religion. There are plenty of threads for that.

Here is what I believe.

1. I consider myself a Christian.
2. I believe Jesus was the son of God, died for man's sins, and rose again.
3. Saturday is the Sabbath.
4. There is a hell, but it's not the eternity of fire.

Of course there is more but it's a good start for this post. Now for some questions.

1. What about other religions? Do they miss out on eternal life with God? What if someone has never heard about Christianity and worships something else. Would God turn his back on them?
- A. I struggled with this one. It may sound contradictory to Christian teachings but I think no. If you look at religions around the world you can see at the core, all they basically ask you to do is be a good person. I know that's an over simplification of things.

2. What if they have been introduced to Christianity and turn their back to it, continuing to worship as they have been taught? Will God then turn his back on them?
- A. I believe religion is a very personal thing. While I am a Christian, I would like to think God can mean different things to different people. I find it hard to place God into this Christianity box and not let him out. God is everything, created all. I don't think how you interpret God is important. It's how you live your life and what you do with it.

3. What is hell? Is it the eternal pain and suffering most think of?
- A. No. I think the eternal lake of fire is reserved for Gods true enemies at the end. I think hell is the total absence of God. I compare it to taking the person you most love in this world and having them act as if you don't exist. How painful would it be if that person ignored your calls, never reached out to you, never mentioned you in conversation and if you ran into them, they weren't rude to you. They truly went about their business as if you weren't didn't. Now imagine God doing that to you. That would be hell.

4. Organized religion. What of it?
- A. This may seem contradictory to the organization of Christianity, but I'm not naive and understand the need to place things in some type of order. But I think organized religion has great intentions, but man being man will always corrupt it. Religion seems to be such a complicated subject but I don't think it is. It's actually very simple.

Questions for me? Disagree with something I said? Think something different? I'd like to hear it. :cheers:

Actually you sound like just about every other PC Christian "moderate" out there, which is odd since you're fairly right-wing/conservative, but then again many fiscal conservatives I've encountered are like this because they don't have the desire to follow a line of faith the way it was meant to be followed, "religiously". The minute you start getting into literal intepretations of bible quotes that tell a different tale, it doesn't fit their status quo and there's an excuse to be had on how they can believe in Jesus but not every part of the bible.

In essence this allows you to be a Christian; without really being a christian and offending other religions by indicating they all "get the basics" right.

Nothing more to say or explain really. Thanks for sharing.
Five Finger Death Punch
"I'd rather you hate me, for everything I am than ever love me, for something that I'm not."

Lowsix wrote:Seriously dude..you're trash.
Always have been.

PostMon Apr 18, 2011 10:43 pm » by Eishethel

rydher wrote:This site brings all kinds and I haven't come across anyone that thinks like I do. Is there anyone else? My spiritual journey has been a long one to this point and it's not over. I'd like to hear what others think and maybe offer their own views. You never know what someone will say that will cause me to rethink things. That being said, please don't just spout out irrational slams toward religion. There are plenty of threads for that.

Hi there. I've been having a journey a very, very, very long time myself. Why post here? Why not. Plus this place came up when I was trying to reasearch my mother. ^_^

Here is what I believe.

2. I believe Jesus was the son of God, died for man's sins, and rose again.
3. Saturday is the Sabbath.
4. There is a hell, but it's not the eternity of fire.

1. I'm not a christian. I, in fact, had a vision where I was told aparently by yesheua ben yoseph himself that I was a Buddha. While I'm not sure I believe this entirely, eh. there you have it.
2. Lots of people are sons and daughters of gods, angels, other beings.
3. that's...well. Nice I suppose. I view all days as holy, intereting, and worthy of attempting to make life interesting.
4. *ponder* There is an underworld yes. I'm on staff there, along with a lot of other angels of the left hand path.

Of course there is more but it's a good start for this post. Now for some questions.

1. What about other religions? Do they miss out on eternal life with God? What if someone has never heard about Christianity and worships something else. Would God turn his back on them?
- A. I struggled with this one. It may sound contradictory to Christian teachings but I think no. If you look at religions around the world you can see at the core, all they basically ask you to do is be a good person. I know that's an over simplification of things.

to our view, it depends on the individual. Would such a spirit or being find it comforting to be able to roam the endless worlds at will, or would they prefer to hide behind their god? Would they wish to roam the worlds of others, or prefer to attempt to make their own?

one must also note that re-incarnation does happen, but not for all. It has, to our view, to do with certain choices made. I'm an angel, the child of an angel. I chose love over duty.

And into a world of tears and sadness I came, again and again.

2. What if they have been introduced to Christianity and turn their back to it, continuing to worship as they have been taught? Will God then turn his back on them?
- A. I believe religion is a very personal thing. While I am a Christian, I would like to think God can mean different things to different people. I find it hard to place God into this Christianity box and not let him out. God is everything, created all. I don't think how you interpret God is important. It's how you live your life and what you do with it.

I'm buddhist. Also, interestingly, I view the one god as simply the archetect of this particular dream/universe/experience. Not of all of them, and not a unique entity.

I've found nirvana. for me? A hall of golden fire, a connection to everywhere. for a trick, try meditating on a flame, and asking 'where have i seen this before' 'how is this like me?' 'where can I see this from another angle' perhaps. ^_^

3. What is hell? Is it the eternal pain and suffering most think of?
- A. No. I think the eternal lake of fire is reserved for Gods true enemies at the end. I think hell is the total absence of God. I compare it to taking the person you most love in this world and having them act as if you don't exist. How painful would it be if that person ignored your calls, never reached out to you, never mentioned you in conversation and if you ran into them, they weren't rude to you. They truly went about their business as if you weren't didn't. Now imagine God doing that to you. That would be hell.
]
eh. I view the underworld as a transitory place for various entities to travel through on their way to a destination. Be they signers of the agreement to travel this world once, then be punished for anything they did which they agreed to not do, then they suffer their cost for each action or inaction, then move on. Those who chose the left hand path, wait, travel through a world again, and again, and again, till they realize they are truly real, and their actions affect those around them in very meaningfull and large ways.

But to remember, the path of endless rebirth is the path of endless suffering.

4. Organized religion. What of it?
- A. This may seem contradictory to the organization of Christianity, but I'm not naive and understand the need to place things in some type of order. But I think organized religion has great intentions, but man being man will always corrupt it. Religion seems to be such a complicated subject but I don't think it is. It's actually very simple.

intentions aside, one can model the entity of 'religion' as a living entity, perhaps not a self aware one though. It is, for lack of a better term, a 'ascension machine.' it exists to enlighten all those who use it, then vanish as it is no longer needed. But...some develop an awareness of this, and cling to this world, adding in more and more little rules and burrying the truths deep inside, and preventing them from becoming obsolete. In a sense, religions are afraid of dieing. Very ironic.

Eh. As to me? I'm a child of Eisheth. Being as she's described, among other things, as a fallen angel of prostitution (rather unflatteringly by those who do so, being as many religions are oh, so very uptight about intimacy) you're free to take my words as they are, or rambleings of a crazy girl. But plese, don't shoot the messenger? ^.^;

Conspirator

PostMon Apr 18, 2011 10:59 pm » by Rydher

In essence this allows you to be a Christian; without really being a christian and offending other religions by indicating they all "get the basics" right.

You are 100% right with this and I blame myself for not wording my post correctly. Instead of being:

I should of said

1. My belief's began and are founded on Christianity.

@ eishethel Very interesting stuff there. :cheers:

Previous