American Nedas...

Initiate

PostThu Jun 25, 2009 7:16 am » by Strider

..I wonder how quickly people forget.. or how educators fail to pass on the lessons of the recent past... It wasn't so long ago that the USA looked a lot like Iran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7-m919ynU

I'm guessing that Iran hasn't discovered the joy of water flouridation and total corporate media control like we have in western countries just yet.

Does anyone here remember what happened to those in the media that were against the Iraq war? The ghost of weapons of mass destruction won out and careers were trashed - and hardly a word after.. and certainly no restitution... to this day.

And so now, count how many young lives lost and taxpayer $ down the tube to the war machine since then, and America is quiet.

From my view, Americans are wimpified and common Iranians are a lot better at being Americans than Americans are. Which begs the question: how did the American people get turned into a large community of wimps that refuse to stand up for their rights or the truth?

Conspirator

PostThu Jun 25, 2009 7:25 am » by Darrylmckay

I have been saying this for a while now, at least the people of Iran are standing up for thier rights not just laying down and taking what they are given.
When was the last time you saw a protest, in any western country, go for longer than an afternoon ( I'm talking a mass take to the streets type protest). All of us in the west are way to comfortable to be bothered with that crap, We will all just sit back on the lounge and watch TV while they take away our rights, our livelyhoods and our freedoms.
The mainstream media perpetuates this situation with the lack of any real investigative journalism, they sit there and are spoon feed by the powers that be until all you hear is the official party line.
I will respect your beliefs*, I will research your beliefs, but dont expect me to believe.
* disclaimer-user makes no commitment to live up to this claim

Initiate

PostThu Jun 25, 2009 7:33 am » by Humanbeing

darrylmckay wrote:I have been saying this for a while now, at least the people of Iran are standing up for thier rights not just laying down and taking what they are given.
When was the last time you saw a protest, in any western country, go for longer than an afternoon ( I'm talking a mass take to the streets type protest). All of us in the west are way to comfortable to be bothered with that crap, We will all just sit back on the lounge and watch TV while they take away our rights, our livelyhoods and our freedoms.
The mainstream media perpetuates this situation with the lack of any real investigative journalism, they sit there and are spoon feed by the powers that be until all you hear is the official party line.

well said :cheers: *wait for vancouver 2010, should be interesting...*

Conspirator

PostThu Jun 25, 2009 7:36 am » by Drextin

The problem we have in america with protests these days is that they are so intertwined with the crazier side of political movements that the average citizen doesn't want to get involved.

People protest here regularly all the time. Usually for some really weird reason. All you see is the wannabe hippie types in their hemp clothes whining about something or another way too much. The importance of protests has been lost because some have made it their calling to protest every thing.

Celebrities in american are what really hurt us during the Bush reign. So many complained about the elections being rigged but at the same time were calling anyone who voted for bush an idiot........so was it rigged or they voted for the wrong guy? On that alone it kept people from wanting to protest or make a big deal about it. They effectively killed Kerry's campaign with all of their we're smarter than you bull. Celebrities are the people we want to look good and make us happy either from their work or their screwed up lives.................we don't want them telling us how to live or what politics we should be involved in.

Trust me on this.........there will come a time when we get pushed back into a corner and our government thinks we will go along with anything................when that time comes rome will burn.............you can count on that.
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking
King of my jungle just a gangster stalking

Conspirator

PostThu Jun 25, 2009 7:56 am » by Darrylmckay

Sorry drex, but attacking celebrities is below the belt, I for one dont have any opioin on any issue until I stop and think "what would hedi and spencer think" first.

That aside until people, and I'm talking mainstream people not us loonies, stop getting spoon feed by the corporate media nothing will ever change. You and I might be able watch the news and dicern fact from spin but the majority of people are not willing to do that, they just believe what they see, if you dont believe that, I give you "Fox News Channel".

"The whole world is absoulutly nuts except you and me, and I'm not too sure about you".
I will respect your beliefs*, I will research your beliefs, but dont expect me to believe.

Conspirator

PostThu Jun 25, 2009 8:10 am » by Drextin

darrylmckay wrote:Sorry drex, but attacking celebrities is below the belt, I for one dont have any opioin on any issue until I stop and think "what would hedi and spencer think" first.

That aside until people, and I'm talking mainstream people not us loonies, stop getting spoon feed by the corporate media nothing will ever change. You and I might be able watch the news and dicern fact from spin but the majority of people are not willing to do that, they just believe what they see, if you dont believe that, I give you "Fox News Channel".

"The whole world is absoulutly nuts except you and me, and I'm not too sure about you".

And I have my eye on you too!

There is nothing more frustrating than realizing that not everyone sees through obvious propaganda spewed out by all the news channels. Fox is the worst but cnn with its Obama can do no wrong agenda is no better. No news agency should be cheerleading for a politician. If you want to do a story on something great they have done then fine. But don't spend your days making excuses and spinning everything to make one person the good guy when you spent the last 8 years complaining that fox did it.

I like Obama so far and until he fucks up and its not speculative I will continue to do so. I just don't need cnn or any other news channel telling me to do so.

I think a lot of people just either don't have time nor care to look past what they are hearing or reading to see what is really being said.........I don't blame them for that. Its when they try and use their shallow interpretations to debate something that it really becomes a problem.

Even the people here who I may disagree with on politics have at least based their opinions on more than what is put out there.............you have to respect that to some extent.

Conspirator

PostThu Jun 25, 2009 8:21 am » by Darrylmckay

drextin wrote: like Obama so far and until he fucks up and its not speculative I will continue to do so. I just don't need cnn or any other news channel telling me to do so

Obamas not bad, I dont think hes capable of doing everything he says he is going to but at least he has a vision of what he wants america to represent, a better america, weather he can bring that vision to reality is another matter, but at least you now have a president who sees there is a problem, poor old bush couldnt spell the word, unless he got Cheney to do it for him.

Initiate

PostSat Jun 27, 2009 7:10 am » by Strider

I like Obama too - he's bright, eloquent, and comes across as down-to-earth and not elitist. Yet, while the office of the president gets a lot of media attention - just how powerful is it? To what degree are his hands tied by the "powers that be" ?

The US's constitution has been side-stepped by previous administrations and it is becoming passé and the only significant voice on that issue is Ron Paul. I am a left-leaning liberal, but I'd vote Ron Paul given the chance (although I wouldn't like to get that chance 'cause I'm Canadian :mrcool: )

Conspirator

PostSat Jun 27, 2009 8:29 am » by Drextin

strider wrote:I like Obama too - he's bright, eloquent, and comes across as down-to-earth and not elitist. Yet, while the office of the president gets a lot of media attention - just how powerful is it? To what degree are his hands tied by the "powers that be" ?

The US's constitution has been side-stepped by previous administrations and it is becoming passé and the only significant voice on that issue is Ron Paul. I am a left-leaning liberal, but I'd vote Ron Paul given the chance (although I wouldn't like to get that chance 'cause I'm Canadian :mrcool: )

strider I've said this many times......I like Ron Paul but a president he is not. He would not know how to handle foreign affairs nor would the world community respect him. I think he would make an excellent vice president or adviser but not the big chair. I'm not knocking Ron cause I like someone else......its just what it is.

Initiate

PostSat Jun 27, 2009 8:48 am » by Strider

drextin wrote:
strider wrote:I like Obama too - he's bright, eloquent, and comes across as down-to-earth and not elitist. Yet, while the office of the president gets a lot of media attention - just how powerful is it? To what degree are his hands tied by the "powers that be" ?

strider I've said this many times......I like Ron Paul but a president he is not. He would not know how to handle foreign affairs nor would the world community respect him. I think he would make an excellent vice president or adviser but not the big chair. I'm not knocking Ron cause I like someone else......its just what it is.

Why are "Americans" (actually "United-Statesians" because America includes Mexico and Canada, that's a little precocious) think of themselves as the self-appointed policemen of the world? There was a time when the USA's respect for their constitution stood as a beacon for democracy and freedom, but that time has passed.

I'm Canadian - and here I actually have a *right* to privacy. You have no such thing down there. Tell me how your wonderful country treats anyone with the name "David Nelson", because that name is on the no-fly list and anyone with that name has lost their rights. Their is no route for them to appeal or say "hey - I'm not that other guy!" - it's a witch-hunt. Simply being accused of being related to terrorism immediately makes one presumed guilty and stripped of their rights in your country. I'm glad I don't live there and I don't want to.

The USA has lost its fundamental principles and needs to go back to where they were before - back when the country was respected and even revered around the world. That's lost now since corporate greed has taken center stage and all else comes after.

Next