An underground chamber containing 130 ancient Greek statues

Writer

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 1:01 am » by MadReefer

Lets hope this is not old news to you folks :rtft:

Incredible underground chamber with 130 ancient Greek statues awaiting investigation :think:

Discovered in Athens 25 years ago. But no one, apart from the finders, has cared enough to battle the bureaucracy that has prevented the hatch from being opened and the remarkable treasures from being recovered. So what has stopped the Ministry of Culture from retrieving such precious relics of the past? Apparently the obstacle is as simple as the fact that the mysterious underground chamber lies on private property and no one wants to get involved.

In total, more than 130 undamaged statues were counted by Constantinos and his friend.
There is a speculation that the room that was found at the beginning of the 4-meter wide corridor was one of the workshops of the great Greek sculptor, painter and architect Phidias, because many of the sculptures were similar to those once found in the Parthenon. Phidias was the creator of one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World – the statue of Zeus at Olympia – as well as other monumental statues and gates at the Parthenon in Greece. Others have theorised that with such a large number of statues, it is possible that the corridor leads to a temple.

You would expect that with such a great discovery the Ministry of Culture and the archaeological department would rush to go and research further. However, this was not the case.

After nearly 20 years, Constantinos received his first reply. On 12th March, 2007, the Ministry replied thanking him for his interest and asking him to declare what he had found. They wrote that if it was verified, he would receive a reward and recognition. On the same day, they sent him a second letter asking him to take them to the location to see.
A team of 17 people, including archaeologists, government officials, and lawyers went to the site where the discovery was made.

The following day, Government representatives sent a letter to Constantinos telling him that because the place is on private property and covered with asphalt, they are not permitted to drill and therefore they cannot verify if what Constantinos said was true or not.

A few days later, Constantinos’ lawyer went to the site and found that the asphalt above the entrance was fresh – showing that someone had got into it and then resealed it. Nothing was heard again from the Ministry of Culture or the archaeological department. So Constantinos’ lawyer contacted the Archaeological Council and gave them all the papers, letters, and details about the place and the situation. The Archaeological Council was surprised as they had never been informed about it. They appeared very enthusiastic about the information and promised to investigate and get back to him. This never happened.

For those who speak Greek, here is a video from a Greek TV program in which Constantinos’ lawyer, and a number of others who have been involved, speak about the case.

Upload to Disclose.tv

Anyone that have knowledge/time to give a little summary of it? :cheers:

Read more here; http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/incredible-underground-chamber-130-ancient-greek-statues-092837#.Uw3jElc2SdE.facebook
The greatest tragedy in life is wasted talent
Don`t mind the crows, they are just watching over Y'all while I'm smoking..

Conspirator

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 1:17 am » by Fatdogmendoza

Noentry should be able to translate the video..Damn Reefer, everytime I log onto one of your Threads/posts I have to do a double take of your avatar...But Hey its now yours....(But it was mine) lol... Keep posting dude, I have a good feeling about you :nails:

:cheers:
Canubis wrote:slith dont b A noob.. u r my no 1 mo fo

Writer

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 1:29 am » by MadReefer

Fatdogmendoza wrote:Noentry should be able to translate the video..Damn Reefer, everytime I log onto one of your Threads/posts I have to do a double take of your avatar...But Hey its now yours....(But it was mine) lol... Keep posting dude, I have a good feeling about you :nails:

:cheers:

:censored: Great man, take your time to translate :look: looking forward to it.

My avatar feel blessed :cheers: that 10kib that stopped me from this avatar in the first placeImage No point in mentioning these bats, in my signature..

Conspirator

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 1:53 am » by Noentry

It is from Greece my ancestors are from Cyprus there are differences in the language.

I will review it and try to translate what is being said.

:flop:
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 3:29 am » by Noentry

A friend of the first man talking ( not the interviewer)

About 25 years ago

Two of his friends went to throw away old newspapers/leaflets/paper stuff in old Athens and they found opening went down some steps It was dark and they took 2 candles with them and found a 4 m area with statues in it.

The main point is they are saying is if you find something this is your countries history don't touch, report it to the local authorities and you will be compensated. Leave it to the professionals.
Asking people not to pull a a fast one and report what they find.

The people who found it done something they shouldn't of done

As they went in they found artifacts to the left and the right.

They went further in and found another 20 m of space with more artifacts.

We need to be patriotic and help our country to find these things as it is all part of out history.
To avoid losing these artifacts to the black market

Rules and laws are constantly changing every year
They are talking about the laws, in 2004 the new government change a processes of some type

Something about a board of archeologist controlling artifacts and how they dealt with it until 2004 when the new gov came in.

This is a disagreement between the gov and the archeologist and how the whole thing is processed.

Something about protecting the national heritage and not losing the artifacts to the black market

The archeologist want answers from the gov.

The gov spokes man is saying what answers do you want.

In 2007 some one finally answered from the gov ( I think)

The rest is about how the gov deals with artifacts.
The archeologist are upset with them.

There is some type of discrepancy on land rights, something isn't adding up right, something suspicious.

There is some type of argument about what was found.

That is the general theme to this discussion.
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Writer

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 8:16 am » by MadReefer

Appreciate that Noentry! :cheers:
Seems like we not are gonna find out for sure what down there for awhile..

Initiate

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 12:18 pm » by Spikey

Sounds like the Greek Government is afraid of something..or someone.

Perhaps the find will cause tptb version of history to be shown to be wrong, and they don't want that to happen?

Maybe they simply don't want to pay the finder for the artifacts, and a re planning to break in and steal them for free at some point.

Either way, to deliberately ignore valuable and historically priceless sculptures and artifacts which could be from one of historys greatest Greek artists, is very, very weird.

Super Moderator

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 8:33 pm » by DarkHeart

Spikey wrote:Sounds like the Greek Government is afraid of something..or someone.

Perhaps the find will cause tptb version of history to be shown to be wrong, and they don't want that to happen?

Maybe they simply don't want to pay the finder for the artifacts, and a re planning to break in and steal them for free at some point.

Either way, to deliberately ignore valuable and historically priceless sculptures and artifacts which could be from one of historys greatest Greek artists, is very, very weird.

The former sounds more likely to me, if they were going to steal them they would have already done so, the only other reason I can think of is that they are worried all of Greece's heritage could be sold off because of the financial mess they are in, so they want to keep the statues hidden.
Canubis wrote:i recently made some retarded threads and had boon swinging from my nuts

Super Moderator

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 8:37 pm » by DarkHeart

MadReefer wrote:

My avatar feel blessed :cheers: that 10kib that stopped me from this avatar in the first placeImage No point in mentioning these bats, in my signature..

The limit doesn't apply if its posted as an URL from the internet, just right click on it & copy image location & paste that into the avatar option box for an URL & it'll work.
Canubis wrote:i recently made some retarded threads and had boon swinging from my nuts

Conspirator

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 10:58 pm » by Malogg

Full video~ Brian Harvey - Invisible

Next