Antimatter caught by CERN!

Initiate

PostThu Nov 18, 2010 12:24 am » by Jesuschrist

Things are getting more and more interesting by the day now! =)
Good time to be alive guys!

The ALPHA experiment at CERN has taken an important step forward in developing techniques to understand one of the Universe’s open questions: is there a difference between matter and antimatter? In a paper published in Nature today, the collaboration shows that it has successfully produced and trapped atoms of antihydrogen. This development opens the path to new ways of making detailed measurements of antihydrogen, which will in turn allow scientists to compare matter and antimatter.

http://public.web.cern.ch/public

:cheers:

Initiate

PostThu Nov 18, 2010 12:26 am » by Tehunit

Great what other OLD news can we find lol. What I mean by that is, I am pretty sure we have had antimatter much earlier than they are acting. At least from the testimony of some people. But, what do I know, I am just a noob on the internet.

Initiate

PostThu Nov 18, 2010 12:33 am » by Ohj33bus

tehunit wrote:Great what other OLD news can we find lol. What I mean by that is, I am pretty sure we have had antimatter much earlier than they are acting. At least from the testimony of some people. But, what do I know, I am just a noob on the internet.

Yea I know what you mean, its like they are releasing as much news they already know, as fast as possible. Just the other day there was the article about the bubbles of radiation spewing from the center of the Galaxy, and I know most of you know that (they) already knew of that happening and they know why it's happening, but still pretend to be stumped.
The thing about smart mother fuckers is that they sound like crazy mother fuckers to dumb mother fuckers

Initiate

PostThu Nov 18, 2010 12:54 am » by Jimmyduek

i read that since 1995 the had it... but my question is, if they saw it and they had it, that antimatter didnt come to matter?

Initiate

PostThu Nov 18, 2010 1:41 am » by Snutz

jimmyduek wrote:i read that since 1995 the had it... but my question is, if they saw it and they had it, that antimatter didnt come to matter?

Not really sure what you're trying to ask here, but if anti matter "comes" to matter, the end result is an explosion the likes of which the entire earth has never seen!

Earth go BOOM!

Initiate

PostThu Nov 18, 2010 6:15 am » by Sceptilief

snutz wrote:
jimmyduek wrote:i read that since 1995 the had it... but my question is, if they saw it and they had it, that antimatter didnt come to matter?

Not really sure what you're trying to ask here, but if anti matter "comes" to matter, the end result is an explosion the likes of which the entire earth has never seen!

Earth go BOOM!

Close, but not quite though.

A matter anti-matter annihilation would be in the order of around 89,876,000,000 MJ/kg (Mega Joules per Kilogram), compared to reactor grade uranium at 3,456,000 MJ/kg and TNT at 4,610MJ/kg. So it's a big powerful reaction, but up until now, we've only been able to hold a few atoms for a small period of time. Because how do you hold onto something that reacts with... everything in our dimension? LOL. These single atom explosions were large, for single atom explosions, but not enough to even lift the roof off of a lab.

It sounds from this article, however, that we've been able to hold onto them for an extended period of time, considering they will be able to study them now. But you're right on track here though. If we can contain them, than we can put more and more into the same container. If we make enough for a kg, watch out for sure. It might not destroy Earth, but it sure as hell well leave a noticeable crater.

This is a good reason to limit the use and experimentation of antimatter to deep outer space only. I hate to suggest imposing limits on fellow scientists and inventors, but I trust that with their knowledge they would understand the need to keep such powerful material away from our home. It's the same reason why I don't store the C4 under the sink. (I keep it at the research facility for educational purposes only... you listening government bastards!)
23:59;01