Artificial Scarcity runs your life

Writer

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 3:05 pm » by Sonnyvice

This may just be the topic of all topics
The giant invisible elephant in the room

We are talking about artificial scarcity, which means an active restriction of access to a good or a service in order to create an appearance of scarcity and therefore make the good/ service more valuable.

Think of limited time only offers and limited edition shoes... then think bigger Oil, Diamonds, Drugs and even Money itself. So lets dig deeper and uncover this major cog in the machinery that runs this modern world of ours.

Upload to Disclose.tv

Conspirator

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 8:07 pm » by Cia212

Are you suggesting that the people who own a resource don't have the right to limit it's use or distribution?

Writer

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 1:12 pm » by Sonnyvice

Cia212 wrote:Are you suggesting that the people who own a resource don't have the right to limit it's use or distribution?

No I am suggesting that certain people/corporations DO NOT have a right to own certain resources.

Eg. Bechtel has no right to own 15 rivers in Bolivia. Those rivers belong to the Bolivian people.. full stop!
Eg. Myriad Genetics cannot own genes in my body .... I OWN MY BODY.

Furthermore I am suggesting that it is IMMORAL to withhold access to certain resources that certain people/corporations can rightfully own.

Eg. patents on environmental technologies that have the capacity to end the global environmental crisis eg. hybrid engines, solar panels, etc..

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 7:27 pm » by Cia212

Sonnyvice wrote:
Cia212 wrote:Are you suggesting that the people who own a resource don't have the right to limit it's use or distribution?

No I am suggesting that certain people/corporations DO NOT have a right to own certain resources.

Furthermore I am suggesting that it is IMMORAL to withhold access to certain resources that certain people/corporations can rightfully own.

Eg. patents on environmental technologies that have the capacity to end the global environmental crisis eg. hybrid engines, solar panels, etc..

So inventors don't have the right to own their inventions if it's something that you really want, like hybrid engines and solar panels?

Initiate

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 9:51 pm » by Germusmax

Cia212 wrote:
Sonnyvice wrote:

So inventors don't have the right to own their inventions if it's something that you really want, like hybrid engines and solar panels?

tushay :cheers:

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 10:22 pm » by Hackjames

Does an inventor (especially a contemporary inventor) have to ability to claim sole responsibility for the products of their inventiveness? Speaking generally, do you feel "inventors" would be able to produce the same results without access to the information/inventions of those who preceded them?

Regardless, how do you feel this relates to the concept of artificial scarcity?
This is your world. You're the creator.
-Bob Motherfucking Ross

Initiate

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 10:34 pm » by Tntbw

Wow, what a loaded question that was. Obviously this is not a black and white issue. If you are talking about luxury goods, then sure, they can limit their supply all they want, to keep the price up and to add to the mystique of consuming such fine items. On the other hand, fuel and electricity are a need for most people, not a luxury. When all the major players in the oil industry shut down refineries in the 80's, it was to keep from having an abundant supply of gasoline, which would lower the price. Then their excuse for high gas prices was a lack of refineries when major Hurricanes hit the Gulf Coast ect...

As far as gasoline, we are screwed either way here in the States. Our government has been talking about a mileage tax for years now. If and when Hybrids and/or straight electric cars become the norm, they'll just slap GPS devices on every car and tax you out of the savings you thought you were gonna have in fuel cost. Have a nice day:)

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 11:04 pm » by Doogle

Artificial scarcity? Well that's a tricky one, but I think I get the gist of sonny's post.

The manipulation of supply and demand of commodities is real. And other things. Anyone familiar with the story of the Bank of England spreading the word that Nelson had been defeated causing share values to drop, they then snaffled up half of London only for the real story to come out and bingo, the shares they bought rocketed?

In terms of inventions etc, well, can it be argued that it would be someone's right to withhold intellectual property or inspired designs that would serve the general populace and better society? Probably yes; But what if it were considered immoral by the majority in doing so? Would the holder then have the right? I don't know.

But, maybe this is as much about artificial "needs". I think the majority of people cannot distinguish between need and want. I mean, what do we really need in life?
Which brings me to the control by the few of the many when it comes to natural resources, need it be such a dirty game?

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 05, 2013 11:42 pm » by Cia212

Tntbw wrote:

Wow, what a loaded question that was. Obviously this is not a black and white issue. If you are talking about luxury goods, then sure, they can limit their supply all they want, to keep the price up and to add to the mystique of consuming such fine items. On the other hand, fuel and electricity are a need for most people, not a luxury. When all the major players in the oil industry shut down refineries in the 80's, it was to keep from having an abundant supply of gasoline, which would lower the price. Then their excuse for high gas prices was a lack of refineries when major Hurricanes hit the Gulf Coast ect...

As far as gasoline, we are screwed either way here in the States. Our government has been talking about a mileage tax for years now. If and when Hybrids and/or straight electric cars become the norm, they'll just slap GPS devices on every car and tax you out of the savings you thought you were gonna have in fuel cost. Have a nice day:)

I see, so does a farmer have a right to sell his corn at any price he'd like? Or not at all? For simplicity, assume he's the only producer. Same for a guy who invents a cure for cancer...