Asteroid Toutatis 12/12/12 Fly By - View Live Online

Super Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 6308
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 7:03 am

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 4:16 am » by Seahawk

Upload to

Published on Dec 11, 2012 by CreativeMessage

Newly discovered small asteroid just misses Earth; next up is much bigger 12/12/12 asteroid

Massive asteroid 4179 Toutatis, which is approximately 3 miles wide, will appear the closest within 4.3 million miles to planet Earth on early Wednesday morning. Spectators can view the extraordinary phenomenon on their computers. ... -near-ea...


Next Online Events

Potentially Hazardous Asteroid (4179) Toutatis close encounter more on 13 Dec 2012 21:00
in 1 day and 17:18 hours.
Next Online Events

Upload to

We gather knowledge faster than we gather wisdom. - William Bell

Master Conspirator
User avatar
Posts: 16199
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 10:32 pm

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 4:46 pm » by Willease

Asteroids Toutatis and XE54 Pass Close To Earth

Published on Dec 12, 2012

Toutatis and XE54 give Earth a close flyby, while stargazers prepare for biggest meteor shower of the year.

Upload to

Two points of personal interest...
1) Only 30% of near Earth astroids have been discovered and are being tracked. Meaning we won't have advanced warnings about the other 70%... :scary:
2) XE54 passed close enough that Earths gravity changed it's orbit. In a couple years when it swings by again, impact is likely.

Scientists have discovered about 9,000 near-Earth asteroids to date, but perhaps a million or more such space rocks are thought to exist.

And some of them are potentially dangerous. Observations by NASA's WISE space telescope suggest that about 4,700 asteroids at least 330 feet wide come uncomfortably close to our planet at some point in their orbits.

So far, researchers have spotted less than 30 percent of these large space rocks, which could obliterate an area the size of a state if they slammed into Earth.

But there are much bigger asteroids out there, such as 4179 Toutatis, a 3-mile-wide behemoth that's in the process of flying by Earth now. Toutatis will remain 4.3 million miles away during its closest approach Wednesday morning, but it may come closer on future passes.

Toutatis would inflict devastating damage if it slammed into Earth, perhaps extinguishing human civilization. The asteroid thought to have killed off the dinosaurs 65 million years ago was about 6 miles wide, researchers say. ... zes-earth/

Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:27 pm

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 10:36 pm » by Bystander

Not one, but that's ok, I know why. I am just worn from the lies. What would you say if I told you that
Asteroid 4179 Toutatis is "NOT" a rock at all? And I have real proof. What would you say then? :headscratch:

Super Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 21457
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:20 am
Location: Odin's Palace

PostSun Dec 16, 2012 5:28 am » by The57ironman

New milestone for China: Probe snaps close-ups of asteroid Toutatis


China's official news agency is reporting that the country's Chang'e 2 deep-space probe made an amazing flyby of the asteroid Toutatis this week, snapping a series of pictures as it passed by at a distance of just 2 miles. The achievement signals China's entry into yet another exclusive space club.
Only four of the world's space efforts have managed close encounters with asteroids: NASA (with NEAR Shoemaker and Dawn, for example), the European Space Agency (with Rosetta), Japan (with Hayabusa) — and now China with Toutatis.

The official Xinhua news agency quoted officials at the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense, or SASTIND, as saying that Chang'e 2 buzzed past the 3-mile-long (5-kilometer-long) asteroid at a relative speed of 24,000 mph (10.73 kilometers per second). ... tatis?lite

Published on Dec 14, 2012
This video, generated from Goldstone's Solar System Radar, shows the rotation of the asteroid when it was 4.3 million miles from Earth.

Upload to

Collapse is a series of events that sometimes span years.
Each event increases in volatility over the last event,
but as time goes on these events tend to condition the masses.

  • Related topics
    Last post