Baby born with heart outside body survives after surgery

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 04, 2009 7:18 pm » by bugmenot

Baby born with heart outside body survives against the odds after life-saving surgery :obsessed: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... rgery.html

The unnamed boy had his heart tucked inside his chest during a four-hour operation

A 10-day-old baby born with his heart outside of his body, has undergone revolutionary life-saving surgery.

During the four-hour operation, 13 surgeons created a space for the baby's heart inside his body by shifting his lungs and liver. They did not stop the heart at any point.

'As there was no place for the baby's heart in his chest, we had to create it,' Dr Yogendra Gupta said.

The brave youngster has already amazed doctors at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi for surviving so long.

The incredibly rare defect ectopia cordis affects only eight in every million births and ninety per cent of these are stillborn or die within three days.

Dr RC Deka, the director of AIIMS said: 'The baby has been shifted to the ICU. Though he is stable, this is a critical time and we are closely monitoring his condition.'

The doctors will keep the boy under observation and decide later whether he will need further surgery.

The baby was taken by his father Majhi, 26 and mother Vibha, travelled with their sick son 685miles in a rickety train compartment to get medical aid.

Doctors replaced the baby's infected blood after he arrived at the hospital and treated him for dehydration.

The baby's father said they were indebted to the doctor in their home state of Bihar in eastern India, who paid for the trip.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... rgery.html :obsessed:

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 04, 2009 8:53 pm » by Lucidlemondrop

That is really awesome!

I am glad that child will have a chance.

It is wonderful that people care enough to travel the world and help people like that.

Reminds me of those doctors that go to other countries and do the clef lip operations on poor children, really warms my heart.
What a long strange trip it's been..............

Initiate

PostSat Sep 05, 2009 12:06 am » by Ihaveseen

lucidlemondrop wrote:That is really awesome!

I am glad that child will have a chance.

It is wonderful that people care enough to travel the world and help people like that.

Reminds me of those doctors that go to other countries and do the clef lip operations on poor children, really warms my heart.

:hugging:
We are one and the same, same joy, same pain

Conspirator

PostSat Sep 05, 2009 12:10 am » by Lucidlemondrop

@ihaveseen

if you still have my email please send me a test message................

If not let me know and I will give it to you, my mail.........
What a long strange trip it's been..............

Initiate

PostSat Sep 05, 2009 12:48 am » by Ihaveseen

lucidlemondrop wrote:@ihaveseen

if you still have my email please send me a test message................

If not let me know and I will give it to you, my mail.........

ygm! :hugging:
We are one and the same, same joy, same pain