Benefits of a Fat-Based Caloric Intake: Ketogenics

Conspirator

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 2:36 am » by Harbin

Dietary fat has been the subject of considerable derision, misinformation and disinformation through medical authorities, public policy campaigns, conventional nutritionists and the mainstream media for most of the last century. Conversely, dietary carbohydrates have been lauded as foundational to human dietary needs.

Human physiological makeup and the history of our ancestral diet, however, has not been consistent with these claims. Dietary fat is demonstrably central to our most basic energy, metabolic and physiologic needs and by restricting its intake we foster a much less healthy and unnatural dependence upon carbohydrates, to the considerable detriment of societal physical and mental health.

About the author

Nora Gedgaudas, C.N.S., C.N.T. is the author of the international best selling book, Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life. She is an international speaker on the subject of paleolithic diets and operates a successful private practice in Portland, OR offering neurofeedback and nutritional therapy/consultation services.

http://www.sott.net/article/254671-The-Holy-Grail-of-primal-health-Benefits-of-a-fat-based-caloric-intake-for-body-and-brain
Antiwar.com

Conspirator

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 3:56 am » by Cia212

It's the induction phase of the Atkins diet and it does work. Bodybuilders use a modified version to cut fat before contests - eating protein and fat helps them get to 1-2% body fat.

Initiate

PostFri Dec 14, 2012 1:14 pm » by Alexrubic

I have been eating this way for the last several years and my general health has never been better. Even managed to clear up life-long allergies and crippling migraines!

Weight and body composition-wise, it is the easiest way to maintain without effort, hunger or feelings of privation. No need to slavishly count calories or control portion sizes - I just eat when I am hungry and stop eating when I am full. Often I can eat just one generous meal per day and go for several hours (can be up to 24 hours when eating one meal per day!) without any dips in energy. Also found my mental acuity improved.

I make sure at least 70% of my total caloric intake come from dietary fats (mainly saturated animal fats) and most of the rest from protein. I try to keep carbohydrates to an absolute minimum - usually no more that 5% of total caloric intake per day.