"BIG NEWS" SETI Picks Up Regular Laser Pulse From Space

Conspirator

PostSat May 16, 2009 1:57 pm » by Drextin

WOW!

let's just hope he can pick the signal up again.
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking
King of my jungle just a gangster stalking

Initiate

PostSat May 16, 2009 2:14 pm » by Kurious

If this is true it's huge ! Great post Slushpup. I don't generally like these posts that say 'I have a feeling something is going to happen soon' with regards to the UFO subject but these past few months even this old cynic has to admit to wondering what is with this sudden flow of relevant & almost real evidence based info ?
SHUT UP YOU FUCKING CONSPIRACY BASED LUNATIC

Conspirator

PostSat May 16, 2009 2:18 pm » by Eaganthorn

Depending on the frequency and wave length of laser, it may indicate that the source knows of us and is specifically attempting to communicate with us or to those who are in close proximity. The former is great news, the latter may be of concern.
Science is truth, God is truth, therefore

God is Science.

All religions were written by men, to control the hearts and minds of other men.

Conspirator

PostSat May 16, 2009 2:20 pm » by Drextin

kurious wrote:If this is true it's huge ! Great post Slushpup. I don't generally like these posts that say 'I have a feeling something is going to happen soon' with regards to the UFO subject but these past few months even this old cynic has to admit to wondering what is with this sudden flow of relevant & almost real evidence based info ?

In regards to ufos........yeah the feeling you get now is a lot more electric than in previous years.

I'm almost half expecting to one day go to one of the news sites I visit and see the headline saying something about them being real.

To coin one highly overused statement....

"it's not a matter of if but a matter of when"

Conspirator

PostSat May 16, 2009 2:34 pm » by Drextin

slushpup wrote:I actually think this guy is on the right track. More so than listening for Radio frequencies. If a civilization is advanced, then information and communication would be beyond our means we use. Light, lasers, particle beams would be more likely. More info and data can be sent in a simple short pulse. It is exciting to think about the possibilities. So now if he pinpoints it again, will we be able to understand what is being said.

Not only that slush but if I'm not mistaken looking for signal from lasers is better since the message would be in the form of some kinda binary/digital and would make it a little easier to decipher and possibly understand with the help of computers. While radio/analog signals would have to be somewhat defined before entering them into a computer for analysis.

Initiate

PostSat May 16, 2009 2:41 pm » by Taymour

I think that SETI must point its radiotelescopes not into deep space but behind the corner of our solar system...
:robot: :look:
“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”
Sir Winston Churchill

Initiate

PostSat May 16, 2009 2:55 pm » by Taymour

I think that the "truth" :alien: is much more near us... of what we can immagine and easy, really easy to find... Not interstellar or galactical civilizations but Planetary Neighbours... :look:
“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”
Sir Winston Churchill

Conspirator

PostSat May 16, 2009 3:12 pm » by Eaganthorn

slushpup wrote:I actually think this guy is on the right track. More so than listening for Radio frequencies. If a civilization is advanced, then information and communication would be beyond our means we use. Light, lasers, particle beams would be more likely. More info and data can be sent in a simple short pulse. It is exciting to think about the possibilities. So now if he pinpoints it again, will we be able to understand what is being said.

Yes, these have a greater advange to send to specific sites, which I think might be, and should be, taken into consideration. Radio waves are slow and primitive but are broadcast outward in such a way as to cover all of space. Beams are directed to a specific target. True enough that lasers do disperse over a distance, they are still target specific.
Science is truth, God is truth, therefore

God is Science.

All religions were written by men, to control the hearts and minds of other men.

Conspirator

PostSat May 16, 2009 4:09 pm » by Drextin

Slush,
One of the most depressing articles I've ever read was one about man's technological ability to launch better and better satellites and space based telescopes might actually encourage us to stay home and look for clues rather than trying to solve deep space travel.

If that is the case then possibly an alien race similar to ours would feel the same way. The possibility that the only contact we will ever have is through this means is disheartening. Which is why I hold strong on the fact we have made physical contact......because I don't want to believe that all we might have is some alien's version of the lifetime network. Instead of the burning bed they will have "the vaporized rectangular sleeping apparatus"

Conspirator

PostSat May 16, 2009 4:36 pm » by Drextin

I'm with you on that one. I'm hoping our explorer spirit will keep it alive. Now if some politicians will get off their ass and push nasa back to the moon or on to mars we will be in good shape.

All I know is if I am an astronaut and I am going to put my life on the line then I want it to be for something major not a quick trip to the outer atmosphere. We have military and scientific balloons that travel almost 90% of the distance that the shuttle normally orbits. So they strap themselves to a controlled explosion to just beat a balloon by a couple hundred miles at best.

Next