Birmingham Survival Kit?

PostFri Mar 05, 2010 1:23 pm » by Locneverstop

http://www.birminghampost.net/news/2010 ... -25958905/

What the hell?

Since when does Birmingham experience disasters warranting this? Granted we enjoy a good riot in the West Mids, but a SURVIVAL KIT?

What do the other UK guys reckon?

Initiate

PostFri Mar 05, 2010 1:44 pm » by Timewarp

I think having a basic survival kit makes common sense.Just in case of power shortages or flooding due to bad weather etc.I have a food and water storage ready for my family just in case.
It doesn't do any harm to play it safe.

Conspirator

PostFri Mar 05, 2010 1:49 pm » by Badger

timewarp wrote:I think having a basic survival kit makes common sense.Just in case of power shortages or flooding due to bad weather etc.I have a food and water storage ready for my family just in case.
It doesn't do any harm to play it safe.

Completely agree Timewarp.

Being prepared in case a disaster happens is good practice and I already have most of the items on the list in the link.

Initiate

PostFri Mar 05, 2010 2:01 pm » by Timewarp

Congrats Badger on your new post :flop:
Nice to have a Brit on the board so to speak :D

Initiate

PostFri Mar 05, 2010 2:03 pm » by 1ofakind

I always thought a Birmingham survival kit was a hammer, a balaclava and 20 B&H. (Oh yea, and a fantastic sense of humor).

Conspirator

PostFri Mar 05, 2010 2:09 pm » by Badger

timewarp wrote:Congrats Badger on your new post :flop:
Nice to have a Brit on the board so to speak :D

Thanks mate, even though I'm the first Brit I'm still heavily out numbered by our friends across the pond!

1ofakind wrote:I always thought a Birmingham survival kit was a hammer, a balaclava and 20 B&H. (Oh yea, and a fantastic sense of humor).

ROTFLMAO!! :mrgreen: :flop:

Writer

PostFri Mar 05, 2010 2:19 pm » by Themisfit

Thanks for the heads up, I'm in birmingham uk so maybe I should take heed and get my ass to the shops, This might start a buisness boom in the mids! :rtft:

Initiate

PostSun Mar 07, 2010 12:19 pm » by Hayden

Hi to all fellow brum dwellers! I saw that article and scratched my head! When they closed the McDonalds in Kingsheath, half the Maypole starved to death! I'm storing what I can and planting veg in what little garden I have. Also joining the Landshare scheme so we can grow more locally. Lots of big gardens around here that are not used. I think taking back control of our food supply is vital whatever does or doesent happen.Peace. :cheers:

Conspirator

PostSun Mar 07, 2010 2:26 pm » by Svaha

hayden wrote:Hi to all fellow brum dwellers! I saw that article and scratched my head! When they closed the McDonalds in Kingsheath, half the Maypole starved to death! I'm storing what I can and planting veg in what little garden I have. Also joining the Landshare scheme so we can grow more locally. Lots of big gardens around here that are not used. I think taking back control of our food supply is vital whatever does or doesent happen.Peace. :cheers:

Yes, I believe you are right.
Downscaling everything to a community or 'tribal' level will be the answer for the years to come, not only regarding food, but also energy and cultural / social.
Follow your bliss(ters) - Joseph Campbell

Initiate

PostSun Mar 07, 2010 4:50 pm » by Hayden

:cheers: Small scale local energy production ideas please! especially in urban area's? We have huge amounts of combustable refuse...Isnt it a shame that it usually takes a disaster to get people to work together? to think outside the box? to value each other! We share so much on the net yet walk passed each other on the street! Peace second half Villa vReading just kicked off! 2 nil down!!! :hugging:

Next