BP fit new Gulf of Mexico oil cap

Conspirator

PostTue Jul 13, 2010 4:50 pm » by Scoundrel1975

I've just been looking at the photo's in the DTV News section about the oil spill...

I am furious... :hell:

:alien:
"These are Scoundrel Days"

Conspirator

PostTue Jul 13, 2010 4:52 pm » by Megame23

I know man... those photos are proof of their evil... Hell, even if it wasn't completely on purpose, they would still be evil bastards for not spending more on precautions to prevent this.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." ~Edmund Burke

Conspirator

PostTue Jul 13, 2010 4:56 pm » by Scoundrel1975

megame23 wrote:I know man... those photos are proof of their evil... Hell, even if it wasn't completely on purpose, they would still be evil bastards for not spending more on precautions to prevent this.

I couldn't agree with you more...

i am riddled with disgust at the destruction, Death and the alarming threat of extinctions
"These are Scoundrel Days"

Initiate

PostTue Jul 13, 2010 5:01 pm » by Samkenman

Last I heard there were a total of three leaks...and....oil was seeping from small cracks in the sea floor around the well head.... :headscratch:

It will happen again....they will play it safe for a while to save face, then as time goes along and money begins to out power reason...BOOM!

Wasn't there an article posted here recently that said that there were nearly 75,000 abandoned well heads in the gulf and that 3500 of them haven't been capped properly??

Oil will forever be an issue until existing alternative energy sources are applied throughout the world in grand scale.
Take it easy...and if its easy...take it twice!!

Conspirator

PostTue Jul 13, 2010 5:03 pm » by Punjedi

So the stacking operation went well, they said the rovers will choke the new valve now, well, it's been quite a few hours this morning and they are still just watching the flow come out of the top stack. Come on, CHOKE IT CLOSED!!!

It's all money, it has to be. Otherwise they would have been trying to seal this leak for 3 months, not contain and capture. Even in the face of tragedy to life and planet, BP still thinks about its own pockets first.

Oil will forever be an issue until existing alternative energy sources are applied throughout the world in grand scale.

On that note, I am either walking, or riding a bike to my shop today.
Nihil Sine Fide!

Conspirator

PostTue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 pm » by Svaha

Well, it's not that simple, even if we did not use gasoline, almost our entire world is made of 'oil', using products that come forth from oil.
But I think it's proven now beyond doubt that there is oil enough and that the price is kept high for other reasons, because for instance the dollar does well with a high oil price (as long as the dollar is aaa).
Follow your bliss(ters) - Joseph Campbell

Conspirator

PostTue Jul 13, 2010 11:50 pm » by Punjedi

svaha wrote:Well, it's not that simple, even if we did not use gasoline, almost our entire world is made of 'oil', using products that come forth from oil.
But I think it's proven now beyond doubt that there is oil enough and that the price is kept high for other reasons, because for instance the dollar does well with a high oil price (as long as the dollar is aaa).

Oh no, I agree totally. Not to get into too big a discussion about it. Imagine a standard dinner table. Seats about 8. Now. That is Alaska. Now set a sugar cube at one corner of the table. That is the proposed drilling spot being asked for in ANWR. Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Granted yes, it is a reserve but they are asking for less than .1% of the entire scope of the Refuge.

Yes, Less than 0.1% .08 to be more precise.

Now, not only is land based drilling safer and easier to clean up in the event of spills, but that particular spot they are asking for would have helped us get (I believe) about 60% off of foreign oils. If not more. In that proposed .08% Nice going EPA, shove them to the Gulf and look what happens.

This is vs. Deep Sea, or Shoreline Rigs....

Disadvantages.

1. Land based rigs do have a large footprint but with todays technologies and Alaska regulations, they are much smaller and highly efficient. Damage to the surrounding Tundra and animal life is very minimal.

2. It is still a crude oil product so an accident would still lead to leakage upon the ground.

Advantages.

1. Due to the extreme nature of the cold winters in Norther Alaska, the ground is very solid and doesn't allow for much soaking and absorption thereby minimizing the damage a spill would incur and increasing the response time to effectively clean it up before any environmental impact begins.

2. Due the to the extra warmth carried along the pipelines and around the footprint of the rigs, winter animals have spots that help to encourage the species. Moose and other animals can find spots of warmth and even areas of melted snow to aid in water and grazing.

3. By reducing the need for offshore drilling, we can provide a safer and more long term method of providing fossil fuels to the needy public and still buy enough time in a more confident timeframe to begin moving to greener sources of fuel.

Lastly, If there was anything the Fed started to get right...it was this...

"The Bush administration has rebuffed claims that oil and gas development would harm the environment inside of the Artic National Wildlife Refuge. They point out that recent technological advances would enable oil and gas exploration to occur through responsible development while leaving very little of a footprint on the environment. One way in which oil companies are decreasing their footprint is in the creation of ice pads and ice roads. Using ice as roads alleviates the need for gravel in many areas and when the temperature rises, the ice simply melts away (http://www.anwr.org/techno/ techno1.htm). Another way in which technology is improving is in drilling techniques. New advances in 3D seismic technologies and advances in multi-directional drilling are also being shown to decrease the environmental footprint that drilling would have in the ANWR region (http://www.anwr.org/features/pdfs/tech-facts.pdf). With these new advances in technology, oil proponents feel that there is very little environmental risk in exploring ANWR’s oil and gas reserves. "

Source - http://www.unc.edu/~money/geography/anwr1.html

One can hope.
Nihil Sine Fide!

Writer

PostMon Jul 19, 2010 5:25 am » by Fub1966

Look what we have become for the all mighty dollar! Lets destroy the very thing that sustains us. :bang; We don't have a prayer as a species.

Previous