Bright New Star In The Sky

Conspirator

PostSat Jan 29, 2011 3:09 pm » by Mozi!!a

[youtube]7qRWVaA0ONE&feature[/youtube]
Having heard the rumors of a bright star in the morning sky here in Central California, I got up early this morning to explore what should be the planet Venus for myself. I have been watching Jupiter in the evening sky which has also been abnormally bright, enough so that I had to break out my old telescope.

So This morning, I took my $99 telescope to the street in front of my house. Not the best area for star watching, but this thing was so bright there was no need to find a darker place. The view of the moon next to this bright star was ominous. The star was so bright that it could easily take your attention away from the moon. The moon was illuminated from the eastern side making for a beautiful half moon. Theoretically, Venus should also be illuminated on only one side as well but was not. (image above)

Conspirator

PostSat Jan 29, 2011 4:26 pm » by Richc

Hi mate.

Have you got sheep bollocks hanging from your tripod.? :alien51:

Seriously though i finish work at 6am here in the UK and i can also see the very bright star/venus.

You are correct, it is so bright it takes your attention away from the moon.

Im sure it is Venus though.? At least i hope it is.. :)

RIK
"Theres A Storm Coming!"

Initiate

PostSat Jan 29, 2011 4:54 pm » by Lisko

demobe wrote:[youtube]7qRWVaA0ONE&feature[/youtube]
Having heard the rumors of a bright star in the morning sky here in Central California, I got up early this morning to explore what should be the planet Venus for myself. I have been watching Jupiter in the evening sky which has also been abnormally bright, enough so that I had to break out my old telescope.

So This morning, I took my $99 telescope to the street in front of my house. Not the best area for star watching, but this thing was so bright there was no need to find a darker place. The view of the moon next to this bright star was ominous. The star was so bright that it could easily take your attention away from the moon. The moon was illuminated from the eastern side making for a beautiful half moon. Theoretically, Venus should also be illuminated on only one side as well but was not. (image above)

Acording toStellarium ,the moon is between Venus and Antaris :flop:

Conspirator

PostSat Jan 29, 2011 5:02 pm » by Richc

Hi lisko.

I love Stellarium. Ace bit of software.

I even used it to go back to the Birth of Christ to see what was in the sky at the time over the middle east.

Seems like the Star of Bethlehem was Sirius. :D

As you say though the bright star up there at the moment is infact Venus. :flop:

RIK
"Theres A Storm Coming!"

Master Conspirator
Location: Packing my stuff and moving to Denver like you should be doing

PostSat Jan 29, 2011 5:59 pm » by Savwafair2012

:flop:

FAIR USE NOTICE.
Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, . http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml