Britain's Silent War against the US in the Asia-Pacific,

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 3:13 am » by Harbin

Antiwar.com

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 2:30 pm » by Tuor10

Interesting to note that Britain's war plan's prior to and after WW1, were geared towards fighting a war with America.

I have seen the naval plans that were drawn up after WW1, in the national archives.

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 4:58 pm » by Tuor10

Couple of things in that video that are – how should we say – erroneous.

Britain, after WW1, was skint. She could have quite easily kept pace with any build up of American naval hardware, given the fact that our industrial capacity to produce capital ships, in this period, was greater than any nation on the planet. America, after WW1 did not have the the industrial infrastructure that they later had. What America had was money, and lot's of it. They also had the 'capability' to match – and eventually over-take Britain - if she wanted too. Of course, this did not transpire, as a naval agreement was agreed – limiting the tonnage of the respective naval fleets of the worlds major players'.

Britain's war plans were two fold: To cripple the United States Atlantic fleet and to protect Canada from American invasion.

The whole reason for Britain's militancy towards the United States, stemmed purely from the desire to control the trade routes, which, hitherto, they had done: No big dog likes to give up the juicy bones.

Before 1905, Germany was seen as Britain's natural ally. This view became quite prominent in Victorian England. This coincided with Britain's Anglo-Saxon renaissance, where the Victorians' viewed our Germanic ancestors as bastions of strength and courage – who came to Britain after the Romans left and brought civilization back to the British isles. Obviously, after 1905, Germany and anything associated with Germany, including England's Germanic heritage, was quashed and replaced with the mythological history of King Author, which pretty much remains to this present day, even in the face of hard empirical evidence.

With regards to Britain and America's relations, many within the British establishment in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, still viewed America as refractory children, who would always be tied to her mothers apron strings. This view still persisted, to some extent, after WW2. What it really boils down to is the fact that many of the old guard didn't want to recognise the fact that Britain was no longer a major world power.

Anyway, I waffle too much; but I hope I have given some food for thought.

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 19, 2013 10:09 pm » by Harbin

Thanks Tuor10 !
Antiwar.com

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 20, 2013 1:06 am » by Tuor10

Harbin wrote:Thanks Tuor10 !

I should be thanking you. It is not often that I get to discuss this topic. Very interesting.

:cheers:

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 20, 2013 2:01 am » by Cwmman

Of topic sorry, but i thought it was the royals that quashed the truth and rewrite the history books for self benifit.
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—
after they’ve tried everything else.
Winston Churchill.

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 20, 2013 2:46 am » by Tuor10

Cwmman wrote:Of topic sorry, but i thought it was the royals that quashed the truth and rewrite the history books for self benifit.

The then government of the day, pretty much forced the Monarchy into renouncing their German heritage. During the Victorian period, the whole love affair with the Anglo-Saxon's was partly a propaganda ploy - intended to win over the general population, because of Queen Victoria's decision to marry a German.

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 am » by Dagnamski

HAhaha!!

when they thought we were making ships we were inventing drivable shopping trolleys!

:ohno:

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it”

>>>>>Image