Can We Talk About Religion or God?

Conspirator

PostThu Nov 04, 2010 3:06 pm » by Redwoodrick

Hi,not being snarky...just unsure as to what is allowed on DTV these days.Am I right to assume we can NOT talk about God or religion in our threads without getting deleted?And if so isn't it a little odd to have a Spirituality forum??
I have sworn on the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man- Thomas Jefferson

To be honest I'm not even sure what "alien" means. Alien to what? The universe is teeming with life.

Conspirator

PostThu Nov 04, 2010 3:10 pm » by Hansom

You can talk about it all you like.
Whether anyone listens though, that's another matter.
In Lak'ech

May the force be with you, always.

Super Moderator

PostThu Nov 04, 2010 3:11 pm » by TheDuck

Talk about anything, its the keyword > AGENDAS that are a no no.
www.Vigusto.com - Premium E-liquid

"The Truth Cannot Be Told... It Must Be Realized"

Master Conspirator

PostThu Nov 04, 2010 3:18 pm » by Boondox681

:flop:
"Doing stuff is overrated.Like Hitler.He did a lot.But don't we all wish he woulda' just stayed home and gotten stoned?"

Conspirator

PostThu Nov 04, 2010 3:29 pm » by Aragajag

The lines get blurred when it comes to the god or religion thing over ones personal spirituality. I am pretty much agnostic but many on here are tired of some of the religious rantings going on. So if it doesnt cross this line
2h. Agenda posting: Do not use the site to promote an agenda. This often involves the starting of forum threads or making posts which appear to be legitimate in nature but which are aimed at surreptitiously promoting some political view, religious belief or to attack or criticise other members, beliefs or views in an underhand manner which detracts from unbiased and fair discussion.
2j. Preaching: Do not promote or push religious beliefs on to others, we have visitors from all over the world of many different faiths and we ask that all beliefs be respected. Using the site to preach to, convert other members or to 'advertise' a belief system is disallowed, this board is about letting people decide for themselves what to believe.

All should be good, we mods are human and have or dont have a personal belief system in place so things in this area are not so easy to mod on how each of us sees things. The members need to take in to account the above agreement made on joining DTV. There are a lot of members that dont want to continue to see the site being used as a platform for whatever agenda and see how things get ugly very quick. If no moderation was done the forum would soon turn into a muck pile. Those are my thoughts on the matter.
'Gee, I wish we had one of them Doomsday Machines, Stainsey..' General "Buck" Turgidson

Conspirator

PostThu Nov 04, 2010 4:05 pm » by Redwoodrick

@Aragajag- well said and duly noted.I agree with the spirit of these rules 100%..but I must admit that the following byline seems a bit vague:
2j. Preaching: Do not promote or push religious beliefs on to others, we have visitors from all over the world of many different faiths and we ask that all beliefs be respected. Using the site to preach to, convert other members or to 'advertise' a belief system is disallowed, this board is about letting people decide for themselves what to believe

...brings to mind a few interesting questions for me though.
For example: Atheism.
Wouldn't that be considered a belief system?So if I rant and rave that there is no God,am I running afoul of the agreement?
What if I started a thread called " I Can Prove There Is No God"?
These are tricky areas but if there is a consensus between mods it would be nice to know where our allowances for expression fall in this subject.Dont get me wrong, I am sure I know the difference between expressing one's personal beliefs and proselytizing,but I wonder if it is clear to all?
Personally I think the mods here do a great job.I am not finding fault with any of them.It is a hard job with no pay.I get it.But I also enjoy theosophical debate when done in good nature.If the spirituality forum is not safe harbor for such dialogue,then I think it runs the danger of contradicting itself in the forum title.
If a member goes to the spirituality forum,for example,and opens a thread called "Jesus and the Apostles",should they really have the right ti feel indignant at finding religious dogma in there?What about the Keys of Enoch?..See where I'm going with this?Religion and god,gods,and goddesses are an integral part of our cultural heritage and the mysteries we try do disclose here.Banning religion from threads and conversations is a very slippery slope which can become more polarizing and harder to define the farther down it you travel.
Mod discretion is the only answer in my opinion.
Let us all hope our hardworking and selfless mods will use the wisdom of Solomon in ..uh..oops.Sorry for the biblical reference.Wont happen again :alien51:
Anyways keep up the good work mods,and thanks. :sunny:

P.S. Sorry if I took this to too fine of a point but I think it may end up being useful to know!
I have sworn on the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man- Thomas Jefferson

To be honest I'm not even sure what "alien" means. Alien to what? The universe is teeming with life.

Writer

PostFri Nov 05, 2010 4:03 am » by 2edgeswordjesus

Funny thing this site promotes truth revealed but gods not allowed! Well Here
in the good "O" USA and our bill of rights we recognize we have our rights
given to us by who? ( our creator GOD Almighty) not by superduper moderator
And religion is a freedom so my god can reign non stop 24/7 ,365 days a year
BELIEVE IT!

Conspirator

PostFri Nov 05, 2010 4:04 am » by sockpuppet

boondox681 wrote:Image
:flop:

LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouyVS6HOFeo

Conspirator

PostFri Nov 05, 2010 4:11 am » by Harbin

redwoodrick wrote:Hi,not being snarky...just unsure as to what is allowed on DTV these days.Am I right to assume we can NOT talk about God or religion in our threads without getting deleted?And if so isn't it a little odd to have a Spirituality forum??

We can talk about it, but YOU, redwoodrick cannot.
Antiwar.com

Conspirator

PostFri Nov 05, 2010 4:17 am » by Aragajag

2edgeswordjesus wrote:Funny thing this site promotes truth revealed but gods not allowed! Well Here
in the good "O" USA and our bill of rights we recognize we have our rights
given to us by who? ( our creator GOD Almighty) not by superduper moderator
And religion is a freedom so my god can reign non stop 24/7 ,365 days a year
BELIEVE IT!

This is not the USA it is the internet. Where did god turn up with the bill of rights for the good old USA? Also you signed an agreement when you came here before you could post, so your agreement/word means nothing than basically a lie on electronic media to push a belief system where when you signed up it clearly states about religious agendas.
I really think there are alot of members who think their agreement was not for use in the forum. Or the mods shouldnt mod anything at all about trying to keep the forum running close to the agreement made by all who post. So many carry on as if everything here gets stifled to the max when it is very much an open forum and the agreement is not strictly enforced.
'Gee, I wish we had one of them Doomsday Machines, Stainsey..' General "Buck" Turgidson

Next