Chocolate and Science

Initiate

PostWed Oct 29, 2008 9:59 pm » by Bobbyinedmonton

For anyone who hasn't played around with Googles new little toy, Trends (A Gooble Labs invention), let me explain it a bit:

Since about the beginning of 2004, Google has been keeping very detailed records of what is being searched by people. They have also been keeping records of News events and media related statistics. By using Google Trends, you can type in a search term and the result will be a graph showing how much something has been searched since 2004. By entering two search terms, separated by a comma (,), Trends will draw a graph with two different colors representing each of the terms you entered.

Under the main graph, there is also a graph of news related events, again separated by color for each search term you enter.

Like Google Earth, weird little anomalies can show up. Real, honest trends that seem to line up with world events, dates, or media coverage. One of the weirdest Trends I have been able to find is that of Chocolate and Science (I tried Chocolate and sex first):

The thing I find weird about this is how Science drops off around Christmas and chocolate rises during Christmas. As weird as it is, there is an obvious trend between chocolate and science... At least in google world anyways.

Any theories on why this trend exists, and why both Chocolate and Science trends seem to oppose each other, yet stay symmetrical for the most part?

Initiate

PostThu Oct 30, 2008 6:44 am » by Axeman

http://trends.google.com/trends?q=ufo%2C+terror&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2008&sort=0

Hmm UFOs spikes in some strange places..Nice tool haven't played with it in awhile..Funny to look up important things..like Paris Vs Britney..and Roe Vs Wade lol

Initiate

PostThu Oct 30, 2008 7:29 am » by Bobbyinedmonton

Writer

PostTue Nov 04, 2008 12:52 pm » by Lastpoets