Comet 15 times brighter than the Moon to cross night sky

Initiate

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 4:46 pm » by Arella

They are one of the most spectacular views a human could hope to see - and next year a comet which could outshine the moon is due to fly by the Earth.
Comet ISON is visiting the inner solar system and is set to put on spectacular views for the Northern Hemisphere across November and December as it heads towards the sun.
It may prove to be brighter than any comet of the last century - visible even in broad daylight - and this may end up being its one and only trip to the solar system, as its trajectory may see it plunge into the sun in a fiery death.

Look to the skies next year: Comet ISON could produce a spectacular show when it flies by next year - similar to the 1997 appearance of Hale-Bopp (pictured)

How Hale-Bopp looked above Alaska: Next year's comet is predicted to be even more spectacular, and remain in the skies for weeks

It is currently moving inwards from beyond Jupiter, and as it approaches the Earth, the 'dirty snowball' could produce a dazzling display, burning brighter than the moon and potentially being visible in broad daylight.
The comet, discovered by astronomers using the International Scientific Optical Network telescope in Russia, will pass within two million miles of the sun's surface - making it s 'sun-grazing' comet.
It is on a 'parabolic' orbit, which means it probably originated from the outer skirts of the solar system, perhaps from the Oort cloud - a mass of icy debris which lies 50,000 times further from the sun than the Earth does.
If comet ISON survives the encounter, it could take thousands - potentially millions - of years before the comet passes back through the inner solar system.

The comet will begin brightening once it gets within Jupiter's orbit, as the sun's heat begins boiling the ice locked within the comet, converting it directly into gas.
It is likely to recall the excitement of Comet Hale-Bopp, which sailed past the Earth in 1997, appearing as a static-looking smear in the skies across the Northern Hemisphere.
It is also set to outshine 'the greatest comet of the last century' - Comet McNaught, which shone brighter than Venus as it passed above the southern hemisphere in 1965.
Comets are known as 'dirty snowballs', although technically a better definition would be 'snowy dirtballs', as comets are generally rocky at the surface, with chemical-laden ice within the interior.

Initiate

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 5:31 pm » by Boatman

Can't wait, i hope it doesn't hit us.Image

Conspirator

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 5:49 pm » by SUKHOV

I saw hale bopp as a kid, such an awesome thing to see!

I can't wait either boatman, Comet watch party!!! WOO!!!
The True Sons of Liberty are alive and well.
Мое сердце, мой спаситель, да будет свет.

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 12:48 am » by Kinninigan

Arella wrote:

This is a great pic. Too bad i never seen a comet. My city is so chemtrailed and polluted i am lucky to see half the stars some nites..

great thread arella

:cheers:

Upload to Disclose.tv

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinninigan
http://www.disclose.tv/user/kinninigan/

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 1:39 am » by SUKHOV

Kinninigan wrote:
Arella wrote:

This is a great pic. Too bad i never seen a comet. My city is so chemtrailed and polluted i am lucky to see half the stars some nites..

great thread arella

:?

Sorry Kinninigan....They are awesome to watch. Hale Bopp is what got me really interested in the universe and planetary stuff. GAHHH that bothers me... :(
The True Sons of Liberty are alive and well.
Мое сердце, мой спаситель, да будет свет.

Initiate

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 1:42 am » by Crusader

Something to look. Forward to, assuming we all make it to next year lol
Regular is not a unit of measure

Initiate

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 2:49 pm » by Arella

Kinninigan wrote:
Arella wrote:

great thread arella

Im excited for you kinninigan because if you get to see this comet its such a magical sight to see. :D

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 3:07 pm » by Kinninigan

Arella wrote:Im excited for you kinninigan because if you get to see this comet its such a magical sight to see. :D

hope i do too!

Upload to Disclose.tv

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinninigan
http://www.disclose.tv/user/kinninigan/

Conspirator

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 3:11 pm » by Noentry

Arella thanks for the heads up. :cheers:

Hope it can be seen in London.
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Initiate

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm » by Arella

Noentry wrote:Arella thanks for the heads up. :cheers:

Hope it can be seen in London.

Should be around my daughters first birthday too so will be sat in the garden with her watching it :flop: im in the west midlands.

Telescope at the ready ofcourse lol

Next