Comet Linear/Closest Comet To Earth In Recorded History.

Super Moderator

PostSat Feb 22, 2014 10:09 pm » by DarkHeart

Upload to Disclose.tv

What we know about Comet 209P/LINEAR. An automated observing campaign, the Lincoln Near-Earth Asteroid Research project (LINEAR), found this small and somewhat dim comet on February 3, 2004. The International Astronomical Union gave it the permanent number 209P on December 12, 2008.

P209/LINEAR is a periodic comet, that is, its orbit around the sun is relatively short so that we see the comet come close to the sun again and again. Comet 209P/LINEAR’s orbit brings it near the sun in just over 5 years. Its next perihelion passage will be May 6, 2014.

The comet itself is not all that exciting. What’s exciting is that calculations of the orbit of P209/LINEAR indicate that – in May 2014 – the comet’s debris trails will pass close to Earth. Debris left behind by the comet may enter our atmosphere and burn up, creating a new meteor shower.

Will Comet 209P/LINEAR create a meteor storm? In 2012, meteor experts Esko Lyytinen of Finland and Peter Jenniskens at NASA Ames Research Center were the first to announce that Earth was due for a May 2014 encounter with debris from Comet 209P/LINEAR. Other meteor experts quickly confirmed this prediction and some did use the words “meteor storm.” The most recent calculations, however, indicate we might get a strong shower, but perhaps not a storm of meteors.

http://earthsky.org/space/comet-209p-linear-meteor-shower-storm-may-2014#comet
Canubis wrote:i recently made some retarded threads and had boon swinging from my nuts

Super Moderator

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 1:43 am » by DarkHeart

Canubis wrote:i recently made some retarded threads and had boon swinging from my nuts