Congruence in form and meaning

Conspirator

PostThu Mar 22, 2012 2:27 pm » by Tertiusgaudens

"Congruence is the state achieved by coming together, the state of agreement. The Latin congruō meaning “I meet together, I agree”. As an abstract term, congruence means similarity between objects. Congruence, as opposed to equivalence or approximation, is a relation which implies a kind of equivalence, though not complete equivalence", is written in Wikipedia.

Congruence appearances in both, form and meaning, are not seldom like walking on a slippery ground. Like traps they often lead us astray.

A form congruence works with same forms of words and different meanings.

My soul is shaking meaning my soul is in uproar.

The earth is shaking meaning an earthquake.

Congruence of meaning works with different words having a similar meaning.

Elli passed away.

Elli died.

Actually this is no big deal, most people are aware of it, and it should be not necessarily have special consideration. Nevertheless, if there were not problematic mixes of both congruences leading to inacceptable results.

I speak especially from the field of using biblical sciptures. It is strange, but there has been always such tendencies of mixing forms and meanings.

One deep reason lies in the fact, that meaning expressions are able to deeply effect soul affairs like feelings. I will give some examples.

1. Many love the word in Isaiah 43:

1 But now, this is what the LORD says—
he who created you, Jacob,
he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine..."

finding a congruence in meaning in the word, which allows them to say: This is a word God spoke to me personally!

What they not want to see - this is not a word spoken to them personally, but to Jacob alias Israel more than 2500 years ago!

2. Many have used congruences or similar patterns of the history of ancient Israel - because they believed it`s the etarnal word of God - to find explanations for political patterns in modern times. Warlords did often so.

i`ll go a step further. Many evangelical people use biblical prophecy this way. Using preliminarily Daniel and the Revelation of John as playground (actually both have their own time, backround and occasion for having been written), they lookfor similar pattern, numbers and time frames thus trying to get a time table for the events in word`s history, possibly till the Lord comes a second time.

Now I must confess, that I deeply love Eliakim, but she is an example of such working, which I find problematic. In her last post she made statements on Daniel, Mitt Romney, lions in Daniel and in Mormon places etc. etc. This is clearly a congruence mixing, which is a logical fallacy. Period.

3. The affinity of feeling souls to meaning makes it hard to discuss that subject, because it is considered a heavy soul attack from someone, who wants to steal meaning. And stealing meaning is the biggest crime to those, who always look for meaning - and congruences. Then congruence mixing is not considered that important.

But it is important to me having here a clear insight. But I have also to say, that I consider love higher than having always right.

But I wanted to mention it...
Hope is the thing with feathers...
Emily Dickinson

Conspirator

PostThu Mar 22, 2012 7:52 pm » by Tertiusgaudens

An interesting example of form congruence, but opposite meaning is in an old story from king David. The different redaction of some old basic texts obviously came to contradictive conclusions.

2 Samuel 24

English Standard Version (ESV)
David's Census

24 Again the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, “Go, number Israel and Judah.” 2 So the king said to Joab, the commander of the army,[a] who was with him, “Go through all the tribes of Israel, from Dan to Beersheba, and number the people, that I may know the number of the people.” 3 But Joab said to the king, “May the Lord your God add to the people a hundred times as many as they are, while the eyes of my lord the king still see it, but why does my lord the king delight in this thing?” 4 But the king's word prevailed against Joab and the commanders of the army. So Joab and the commanders of the army went out from the presence of the king to number the people of Israel. 5 They crossed the Jordan and began from Aroer, and from the city that is in the middle of the valley, toward Gad and on to Jazer. 6 Then they came to Gilead, and to Kadesh in the land of the Hittites;[c] and they came to Dan, and from Dan[d] they went around to Sidon, 7 and came to the fortress of Tyre and to all the cities of the Hivites and Canaanites; and they went out to the Negeb of Judah at Beersheba. 8 So when they had gone through all the land, they came to Jerusalem at the end of nine months and twenty days. 9 And Joab gave the sum of the numbering of the people to the king: in Israel there were 800,000 valiant men who drew the sword, and the men of Judah were 500,000.

1 Chronicles 21

David's Census

21 Then [b]Satan
stood against Israel and incited David to number Israel. 2 So David said to Joab and the commanders of the army, “Go, number Israel, from Beersheba to Dan, and bring me a report, that I may know their number.” 3 But Joab said, “May the Lord add to his people a hundred times as many as they are! Are they not, my lord the king, all of them my lord's servants? Why then should my lord require this? Why should it be a cause of guilt for Israel?” 4 But the king's word prevailed against Joab. So Joab departed and went throughout all Israel and came back to Jerusalem. 5 And Joab gave the sum of the numbering of the people to David. In all Israel there were 1,100,000 men who drew the sword, and in Judah 470,000 who drew the sword. 6 But he did not include Levi and Benjamin in the numbering, for the king's command was abhorrent to Joab.

And there are many more examples to be found...
Emily Dickinson

Conspirator

PostThu Mar 22, 2012 7:55 pm » by Tertiusgaudens

An interesting example of form congruence, but opposite meaning is in an old story from king David. The different redaction of some old basic texts obviously came to contradictive conclusions.

2 Samuel 24

David's Census

24 Again the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, “Go, number Israel and Judah.” 2 So the king said to Joab, the commander of the army, who was with him, “Go through all the tribes of Israel, from Dan to Beersheba, and number the people, that I may know the number of the people.” 3 But Joab said to the king, “May the Lord your God add to the people a hundred times as many as they are, while the eyes of my lord the king still see it, but why does my lord the king delight in this thing?” 4 But the king's word prevailed against Joab and the commanders of the army. So Joab and the commanders of the army went out from the presence of the king to number the people of Israel. 5 They crossed the Jordan and began from Aroer, and from the city that is in the middle of the valley, toward Gad and on to Jazer. 6 Then they came to Gilead, and to Kadesh in the land of the Hittites; and they came to Dan, and from Dan they went around to Sidon, 7 and came to the fortress of Tyre and to all the cities of the Hivites and Canaanites; and they went out to the Negeb of Judah at Beersheba. 8 So when they had gone through all the land, they came to Jerusalem at the end of nine months and twenty days. 9 And Joab gave the sum of the numbering of the people to the king: in Israel there were 800,000 valiant men who drew the sword, and the men of Judah were 500,000.

1 Chronicles 21

David's Census

21 Then Satan stood against Israel and incited David to number Israel. 2 So David said to Joab and the commanders of the army, “Go, number Israel, from Beersheba to Dan, and bring me a report, that I may know their number.” 3 But Joab said, “May the Lord add to his people a hundred times as many as they are! Are they not, my lord the king, all of them my lord's servants? Why then should my lord require this? Why should it be a cause of guilt for Israel?” 4 But the king's word prevailed against Joab. So Joab departed and went throughout all Israel and came back to Jerusalem. 5 And Joab gave the sum of the numbering of the people to David. In all Israel there were 1,100,000 men who drew the sword, and in Judah 470,000 who drew the sword. 6 But he did not include Levi and Benjamin in the numbering, for the king's command was abhorrent to Joab.

And there are many more examples to be found...
Emily Dickinson