Converting plastic into synthetic crude oil

Conspirator

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 4:25 am » by Kaarmaa

http://www.agilyx.com/

Agilyx diverts difficult-to-recycle waste plastic away from garbage streams, complements recycling efforts, extends landfill life, prevents the need for incineration, and provides a cost-effective end-of-life solution for waste plastic.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sustainable-business/cleantech-100-agilyx

"Solving two big problems at once" is how Agilyx co-founder and president, Chris Ulum, describes his company's technology that converts difficult-to-recycle plastic into synthetic crude oil to make fuel for cars and trucks.

The Portland, Oregon-based company is now working with customers in the waste and recycling industries to handle the 26 million tons of plastic that ends up in US landfills or incinerators each year, rather than being recycled.

"It's not that the plastic is impossible to recycle, but it can't be done economically," says Ulum. This is because the waste plastic is either commingled (multiple types of plastic in a single item) or contaminated (with things like food, dirt, paper or oil), which adds time and cost for sorting, separating or cleaning. The company estimates that 77% of the plastic disposed each year in the US falls into this category.

The Agilyx technology uses a chemical process that heats the waste plastic to break it down into short-chain hydrocarbons and ultimately synthetic crude oil, which can be refined together with fossil crude for transportation fuel. What's unique about the Agilyx process is the way its system delivers heat to the plastic and the continuous batch process that moves the product along a series of four vessels, says Ulum. He notes the company now holds 5 patents for their technology with several others pending. On average, about 10 pounds of waste plastic can be converted to one gallon of synthetic crude oil with the Agilyx process. Their base system can convert up to 10 tons of plastic per day.

Ulum says Agilyx is now working on four projects with three clients in the US. One system is already operating commercially and he expects the others will be online early next year. The company is also talking with potential customers in Europe, Asia, South America and the Middle East. Average deal size will range from $10m to $15m, he expects. The modular system design can scale depending on the customer's needs. With the revenues generated from the sale of synthetic crude, customers can recoup their investment in 3.5 to 4.5 years, according to company estimates.

Agilyx will install its systems on the customer's premises, where the waste plastic material is aggregated everyday. Besides providing the technology, Agilyx will build relationships and negotiate contracts with the refiners to ensure there is a market for the oil produced and for this work, it takes a small share of the ongoing revenues.

Ulum co-founded the company in 2006 with Kevin DeWhitt, who now serves as the chief technology officer. Ulum knew he was on the right track after a discussion with his ten-year-old daughter.

"When I explained to her the problem of all this waste plastic and how we were going to make it into a valuable product, she got it immediately and said 'Dad, that's really cool,'" he says.

This intuitive appeal has also caught the attention of some very large strategic partners and investors for Agilyx, including Waste Management Inc., the largest waste processing company in the US, and the French multinational Total S.A, one of world's largest oil and gas companies.

Upload to Disclose.tv

Super Moderator

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 4:52 am » by The57ironman

...what kills me , is the fact that these technologies haven't been used since day one ....

you would have thought these plants would be everywhere today...

......who is the billionaire that invented styrofoam packaging..?..a John Huntsman ..?

seems to me , he should have had this in the works long ago...

...but , no....throw your goddamn styrofoam dunkin donuts cup on the side of the road....

along with your plastic walmart bag.......

:hell: ..we couldn't have stuck with recycling paper though , could we.....

:cheers:

...sarcasm is the body's natural response to stupidity..

www.assholesamongus.com

Conspirator

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 5:04 am » by Kaarmaa

What bothers me isn't so much the fact that back then they didn't think about the futur trash they were creating, it's that todays industries have no legal obligation to prevent pollution. And if they do, I'm not so sure that they respect it.
At least we know that we have the tools to get rid of some unpleasant stuff, one day things will change and everybody will become conscious that we have to clean up the mess we create.

Super Moderator

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 5:26 am » by The57ironman

..... :clapper: ...... :cheers:

Kaarmaa wrote:What bothers me isn't so much the fact that back then they didn't think about the futur trash they were creating, it's that todays industries have no legal obligation to prevent pollution. And if they do, I'm not so sure that they respect it.
At least we know that we have the tools to get rid of some unpleasant stuff, one day things will change and everybody will become conscious that we have to clean up the mess we create.

....i know.........Image

.....what happened to morality and virtue.....?..........righteousness..?...Image

oh , that's right , we gave that up......

...now we let the governmentImage ....take care of that

..........................legal obligations... :badair:

...sarcasm is the body's natural response to stupidity..

www.assholesamongus.com

Conspirator

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 5:34 am » by Kaarmaa

What does Walter do here? Trying to find out if the recycling proceedure can break his wife down into short-chain hydrocarbons? :lol:
:cheers:

Initiate

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 5:51 am » by Baboogdi

This Japanese guy did it a while back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGabror ... ults_video

Conspirator

PostWed Dec 05, 2012 11:50 pm » by Noentry

This deserves a bump.

This is very important for the future of mankind.
We cant keep burring it, this is the answer to the problem of what to do with all the plastics we have littered around the world.
As oil is a limited source it would be fantastic to be able to change plastic back into oil.

Karmaa great find :cheers:
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Conspirator

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 12:20 am » by Kaarmaa

Thank you Noentry, we have it all, machines for converting materials, cures for cancer, anti gravity devices...and we are not "allowed" to use them.
We are like a kid who saw his mama putting candy on the kitchen shelf but won't give it to him.
:yell: "When I grow up, I'll eat candy every day!" :yell:
Let's hope we'll grow up soon and leave mama's house. :cheers:

Conspirator

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 12:37 am » by Noentry

Karmaa your welcome.
It makes my blood boil thinking of all the crap we have to put up with because they want to keep us as slaves.

Their plan is to kill 80%+ then release all this technology.

Well I say fook em.
We want this tech now.
Lets stop screwing our planet before its to late.
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne