Corporate food manufacturers know you are eating shit

Initiate

PostMon Aug 23, 2010 5:27 am » by Truthseekerx

Food, Inc. (nominated for an Oscar) is a must see film for anyone who buys food from a grocery store:

http://www.zshare.net/video/66745495f40e88e9/

You will be shocked by what you are actually eating. :vomit:
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.

Initiate

PostMon Aug 23, 2010 6:14 am » by Slowlyawakening

I try to not eat any junk and try to be a vegetarian but goddammit if I can't say no to cheap microwave burritos.

Initiate

PostMon Aug 23, 2010 8:04 am » by Mikemess

truthseekerx wrote:Food, Inc. (nominated for an Oscar) is a must see film for anyone who buys food from a grocery store:

http://www.zshare.net/video/66745495f40e88e9/

You will be shocked by what you are actually eating. :vomit:

What I was really shocked about was how it's all based on greed...

Initiate

PostMon Aug 23, 2010 9:53 am » by Buckweedbertha

Enough to put a person off eating altogether!

Now I know why, when I walk around the supermarket, others are looking at food but I just see stuff; in a box, in a packet, frozen stuff, tinned stuff but none of it appeals once I look at the ingredients.

It is almost impossible and extremely expensive to maintain a 'healthy' diet today

Conspirator

PostMon Aug 23, 2010 10:17 am » by Iwanci

We all know that there is crap in our food, we need to be aware that there are also chemicals in the soil we grow our vegetables, the water we use to water our vegetables, and the sea we fish in is also full of shit, literally.

I think we need to come to terms with most of this until we decide, as a race, that we will start investing in ‘safe’ produce. Greed is only a part of the equation because we all want cheaper goods, so the growers need to constantly look at ways to produce en mass and cheaper. Unfortunately, sometimes we have no choice but to demand cheaper goods, otherwise we would all need higher wages, which in itself perpetuates the growth in prices and further need to control profits by using inferior mass production methods. A constant tug of war between profit and quality. Not surprising at all, rather its disturbing in that we know it is happening and no-one is able to curb it.

In France they have a growing ‘green’ market which purports to lend to providing good quality produce grown without the additives etc. What is not clear is how sustainable the market is. Assuming the population moves en mass to these goods, the grower will need to find better ways to produce en mass this in itself will lead it to using alternative sprays etc. Assuming that more farmers enter the market, this will lead to greater competition which in turn will lead to a price drop, which in turn will lead to lessened profits which in turn will lead to more alternative ways of mass production being sought, and so on the story perpetuates pretty much in the same fashion the main farming market has evolved.

Take profit out of the equation and no one will want to farm the land. No one will invest their money into the farming industry where the profits are low. A solution would be for governments to begin harvesting crops and farming quality clean products, give the unemployed people who are able to work but cannot find work a job in substitution of the welfare payments. You will then have a situation where you get price reduction because your overheads are lessened, the government pays the unemployed anyway so it gets labor almost free. Naturally you would get paid more for working than for not working, but the principle remains the same, a government funded and owned network is the only real way to produce mass quality produce and keep prices under control.

My opinion only of course and its simplest form.
Fortes fortuna iuvat

Initiate

PostMon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 am » by shifter

buckweedbertha wrote:Enough to put a person off eating altogether!

Now I know why, when I walk around the supermarket, others are looking at food but I just see stuff; in a box, in a packet, frozen stuff, tinned stuff but none of it appeals once I look at the ingredients.

It is almost impossible and extremely expensive to maintain a 'healthy' diet today

Amen to that. I was thinking about that about a week ago while in the market. So many preservatives, monosodium glutamate, artificial sweetners......the list goes on. I noticed when I started feeling better was when I switched to distilled water and fresh foods. But finding fresh grown without chemicals is getting harder with all the polluton........sigh.
As much as I like a good steak, chicken and fish is the way I like it now.

Conspirator

PostMon Aug 23, 2010 10:36 am » by Iwanci

true that...
Fortes fortuna iuvat

Initiate

PostMon Aug 23, 2010 2:24 pm » by Truthseekerx

After seeing this film, I've concluded the following:

---Shareholder pressure makes it impossible for corporations to produce "food" based on anything other than profit. Nutrient content (and safety for that matter) probably don't even factor in.
---It is vital that we know exactly the conditions that our food is grown under, and what the nutrient content of the food is. If there is no real nutrient content, can it really be called "food"?
---Food should be purchased in its whole form, not processed beyond recognition.
---Whenever possible, we should either grow our own food or buy directly from organic farmers who focus on quality. Community Support Agriculture programs exist all over the world.
---Cutting out the corporations is not only possible, it is imperative for the health of the human race. Who do you think lobbies for Codex Alimentarius?
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.

Conspirator

PostTue Aug 24, 2010 6:33 am » by Iwanci

Truthseeker, the problem we have is that most if not all of our retirement savings are invested in large corporations. The better they do (in profit terms) the easier it becomes for us to retire and receive an income. Whilst there are large profits to be made, the large corporate will undercut smaller producers to the point where it becomes unviable for them to continue trading, ie, they will never be able to sell their produce and make a good living. Further, I can almost guarantee that if the large corporate feel in anyway threatened, they will simply take over the smaller producer and shut him down. Everyone has a price unfortunately so the small guy will eventually and sadly almost always lose out.
But that is simply the nature of the world we have developed. If I was to tell investors that the money they invested in my corporation was only going to return them a modest rate of return this year, but the food was going to taste nicer and be more nutritious, they would appreciate it and at the same time take their money away for investment in another producer or industry where their returns could be larger. It is the greed of the common people that feeds the greed of large corporations, sad as it may sound it is unfortunately true.
You therefore need a corporate player who is not driven by ‘common’ greed and has the goodwill of its people in its mind. Yet again and unfortunately I think the only solution is government owned producers. A little simplistic but I think you get my idea at least…
Fortes fortuna iuvat