COuld their be good without evil

Initiate

PostSat Dec 04, 2010 7:04 am » by Lavell1

I'm not condoning any evil deeds. What I'm saying is that if evil did not exist, how could one possibly know what good was? If all we had was good, would you know that it was good? Can one exist without the other?

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 04, 2010 7:12 am » by Aragajag

Is there really good or evil at the moment?
Is it not a human herd/tribal/clan thing to give meaning or definition to something. Some tribes consider head hunting the thing to do others cannibalism etc and to them it is not way an evil thing.
'Gee, I wish we had one of them Doomsday Machines, Stainsey..' General "Buck" Turgidson

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 04, 2010 7:13 am » by Megame23

aragajag wrote:Is there really good or evil at the moment?
Is it not a human herd/tribal/clan thing to give meaning or definition to something. Some tribes consider head hunting the thing to do others cannibalism etc and to them it is not way an evil thing.

what makes you think they dont know what they are doing is fucked up?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." ~Edmund Burke

Super Moderator

PostSat Dec 04, 2010 7:14 am » by Spock

There is a light, that shines into every crevice of every evil deed.

On the outside, good and evil are subjective. The measure comes from intent based on pride.

Can there be good without evil? Yes. In our flesh? No.

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 04, 2010 7:20 am » by Aragajag

@megame because its what they do and get standing amongst their society for certain feats, I was only using that as an extreme example of the differences in humanity, no different to a proud young western soldier who kills in the name of a flag really imo. Sideline to that most of those cultures dont screw up their environment like we do either.
'Gee, I wish we had one of them Doomsday Machines, Stainsey..' General "Buck" Turgidson

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 04, 2010 7:48 am » by Megame23

aragajag wrote:@megame because its what they do and get standing amongst their society for certain feats, I was only using that as an extreme example of the differences in humanity, no different to a proud young western soldier who kills in the name of a flag really imo. Sideline to that most of those cultures dont screw up their environment like we do either.

when they butcher people and hear their screams, watch them suffer as they die, they know. whether they acknowledge it or not, they know. people know right from wrong, its obvious.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." ~Edmund Burke

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 04, 2010 9:10 am » by Aragajag

megame23 wrote:
aragajag wrote:@megame because its what they do and get standing amongst their society for certain feats, I was only using that as an extreme example of the differences in humanity, no different to a proud young western soldier who kills in the name of a flag really imo. Sideline to that most of those cultures dont screw up their environment like we do either.

when they butcher people and hear their screams, watch them suffer as they die, they know. whether they acknowledge it or not, they know. people know right from wrong, its obvious.

You missed my point. They have been born and grown up in the cultures where the taking of heads is the normal thing to do, according to the practices of the tribe. Dad done it and had a proud bounty of x amount of heads at the door to show his kin, so sonny grows up wanting to be respected just like dad, generation after generation it happened, it is normal practice to that culture.
This is only an example of what the original question is about and my thoughts on it, what one society calls evil may be good to another.
As you say people know right from wrong but in what context is right and wrong when it comes to way differing cultures.
So what is good and what is evil?
Anyways offline for awhile.

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 04, 2010 9:13 am » by Mediasorcerer

they are extremes of the same thing,polar opposites,the real question,is what is the grey area inbetween?
with the power of soul,anything is possible
with the power of you,anything that you wanna do

Conspirator
Location: 'Happiness is the angle at which the wise are gathered'

PostSat Dec 04, 2010 10:28 am » by SamueltheLion

in one sense there can be: you can recognize the evil within you, take it as a warning, and not act on it, and you can recognize the good within you, and immediately act upon it: thus, good & no evil, other than that, i don't really see how.

It's a constant struggle :)
Your faith will make you whole

Conspirator

PostSat Dec 04, 2010 12:01 pm » by Hansom

What we are dealing with here is duality.
And this reality cannot exist without it.
From protons, neutrons and electrons.

Why does the OP ask if there can be good without evil.
Can there be evil without good ?

This symbol shows duality at it's best.

So as much as I love all of creation, I hold it in equal contempt.
In Lak'ech

May the force be with you, always.

Next