Current TV ousts talk show host Keith Olbermann

Initiate

PostSat Mar 31, 2012 3:21 am » by pretzellogic

:alien51: :lol: :alien51: :lol: :lol: :owned: :clapper: :owned: :clapper: :banana: :dancing: :shooting: :cheers:

Current TV ousts talk show host Keith Olbermann

http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?gui ... ccdab0d455

FRAZIER MOORE
From Associated Press
March 30, 2012 8:20 PM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) — Current TV has dismissed Keith Olbermann from its talk-show lineup after less than a year.

The left-leaning cable network announced late Friday afternoon that "Countdown," the show Olbermann has hosted on Current since last June, would be replaced with a show hosted by former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer, beginning Friday night.

"Viewpoint with Eliot Spitzer" will air weeknights at 8 p.m. Eastern time. Spitzer had a short-lived talk show on CNN in that same time slot, and briefly competed with Olbermann.

The sometimes volatile Olbermann came to Current last year as the centerpiece of its new prime-time initiative after a stormy eight-year stint at MSNBC — his second — followed by his abrupt departure in January 2011.

Shortly after, Current announced his hiring, as the start of an effort to transform the network's prime-time slate into progressive talk. His official title was that of chief news officer, charged with providing editorial guidance for all of the network's political news, commentary and current events programming.

In a statement, Current TV founders Al Gore and Joel Hyatt said the network was "founded on the values of respect, openness, collegiality, and loyalty to our viewers. Unfortunately these values are no longer reflected in our relationship with Keith Olbermann and we have ended it."

They offered no details, but it is known that the temperamental Olbermann had clashed with his bosses. During the primary season he declined to host additional hours of election coveragein certain cases and missed a number of broadcasts, as well as complaining about technical problems he said undermined his show.

"We are confident that our viewers will be able to count on Gov. Spitzer to deliver critical information on a daily basis," Gore and Hyatt added in their statement.

In a statement posted online, Olbermann said "the claims against me implied in Current's statement are untrue and will be proved so in the legal actions I will be filing against them presently."

He said he had been attempting "for more than a year" to resolve his differences with Gore and Hyatt internally, "while I've not been publicizing my complaints." Instead of "investing in a quality news program," he said, his bosses "thought it was more economical to try to get out of my contract."

He called his decision to come to Current "a sincere and well-intentioned gesture on my part, but in retrospect a foolish one."

The eruption between Olbermann and his bosses appeared to be a case of history repeating itself. There was ongoing friction between the brash host and his NBC bosses, just as there had been at earlier jobs as far back as Olbermann's star-making, often tumultuous turn as a "SportsCenter" anchor at ESPN in the 1990s.

Just weeks before his departure from MSNBC, Olbermann was nearly fired but instead was suspended for two days without pay for violating an NBC News policy by donating to three political campaigns, including the congressional campaign of Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. He returned and apologized to his fans, but not the network.

At the heart of his grievance with MSNBC, as he explained it, was media consolation. In January 2011, Comcast Corp., the giant cable operator, acquired a controlling stake in Olbermann's already huge employer, NBCUniversal.

The night of Jan. 21, Olbermann told his viewers he was leaving. He said, a bit cryptically, that "there were many occasions, particularly in the last two and a half years, where all that surrounded the show — but never the show itself — was just too much for me."

After that, Current, the privately held network co-founded in 2005 by former Vice President Gore and Joel Hyatt, seemed the perfect fit: It is an independent media outlet.

"Nothing is more vital to my concept of a free media than news that is produced independent of corporate interference," Olbermann said at the announcement of his coming to Current.

Current, the privately held network co-founded in 2005 by former Vice President Al Gore and Joel Hyatt, was redefining itself after ditching its original concept as the go-to site for viewer-generated short videos.

Since "Countdown" premiered, Current has fleshed out its prime-time lineup with "The Young Turks," hosted by Cenk Uygur, and "The War Room" with former Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm.

This week, it introduced a six-hour morning talk block, with live simulcasts of the radio programs "The Bill Press Show" and "The Stephanie Miller Show."

'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C.Section 107, the material on this site is distributed
without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

Read more: posting.php?mode=post&f=19#ixzz1qeYl4qbr

Initiate

PostSat Mar 31, 2012 5:32 am » by Tgwusauk

Don't worry Olbermann will be back shortly when the truth has to come out, they are doing their best to shut up people who think outside of the box, it will not succeed, and the time of change is very close.

Initiate

PostSat Mar 31, 2012 5:44 am » by pretzellogic

tgwusauk wrote:Don't worry Olbermann will be back shortly when the truth has to come out, they are doing their best to shut up people who think outside of the box, it will not succeed, and the time of change is very close.

I am not worried...the guy use to be a good sports personality but has some screws loose - :ohno: he never has anything good to say...he seems like he needs anger management. :hell:

I remember when people use to be honest and were "real" / authentic college educated in communications, degrees in journalism...

not shows that have "talking heads", "personal opinion's" and "attack's" all the time....

In the day, (you probably werent born - not making fun assuming your younger than I) you were allowed to watch and decide for yourself, now its left or right - all crap news its pathetic :vomit: :bang; :bang; :bang;

thanks for sharing..appreciate the post :flop:

This is for obermann if he's watching

Upload to Disclose.tv

Initiate

PostSat Mar 31, 2012 6:00 am » by Tgwusauk

I have only been a US resident for the last 10 years and he and Lou Dobbs who also asked hard hitting questions tptb didnt like, and was also forced out, you find out at a much later date the ones in the media they coerce you into disliking are the ones you should be supporting, for evidence see the media shenangans with Ron Paul.

Initiate

PostSat Mar 31, 2012 6:38 am » by pretzellogic

tgwusauk wrote:I have only been a US resident for the last 10 years and he and Lou Dobbs who also asked hard hitting questions tptb didnt like, and was also forced out, you find out at a much later date the ones in the media they coerce you into disliking are the ones you should be supporting, for evidence see the media shenangans with Ron Paul.

I have no doubt of your passionate feelings...I think all of these people have one thing in mind... also, you say, "the ones in the media they coerce you into disliking"...

My friend, I sincerely dont think anyone could coerce me, maybe you mean this in "general" terms.

Again I will say, I believe I am a little older than you but could be wrong and have seen it all...

I dont think you can even compare Obermann to Lou Dobbs? oh well....Lou Dobbs is a REAL journalist, Obermann is a hack, a personality, and ex sportscaster - sorry

I guess we can agree to disagree... :headscratch:

Initiate

PostSat Mar 31, 2012 8:03 am » by Tgwusauk

I tip my hat to your greater knowledge then, the coercing was to the sheep who blindly follow.

Super Moderator

PostSat Mar 31, 2012 11:02 am » by Spock

Any show, whether TV or Radio that is outwardly liberal and does not even attempt to disguise their view as mainstream, fails miserably. And that's good, because it proves the majority really don't want to hear their seditious vitriol.