Damn! no kidnapped Voyager 2 after all

Conspirator

PostMon May 31, 2010 4:24 pm » by Nickelson

So no kidnapping by E.T!!!! Just a late millennium error

NASA engineers have fully revived the far-flung Voyager 2 probe on the edge of the solar system after fixing a computer glitch that scrambled its messages home for nearly three weeks.

A single bit flip in one location in the 33-year-old probe's memory storage caused the problem, and was remotely reset Sunday by engineers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. After a computer reset, the Voyager 2 is back on track, they said.

The malfunction began April 22 while Voyager 2 was flying 8.6 billion miles (13.8 billion km) from Earth in the heliosphere, the magnetic bubble that surrounds our solar system. Mission scientists could not decipher the probe's science data messages and put the spacecraft in an engineering mode to just send health updates to Earth.

The actual cause of the computer glitch is still unknown, NASA's Voyager 2 project manager Ed Massey told SPACE.com.

Voyager 2 hiccup in deep space

Memory bit flips and other electronic problems have affected spacecraft, and even Voyager 2 and its twin Voyager 1, in the past. But they occurred when the spacecraft were much closer to Earth, around 1 or 2 astronomical units (AU).

One AU is the distance between the Earth and the sun, about 93 million miles (151 million km). That's close enough for their onboard systems to be affected by the electric charge of the sun's solar wind, Massey said.

"In some spacecraft that are closer to the sun one could think of single event upsets caused by solar activity. But we're so far away, it's hard to say that's what caused it," he added. "We're like 93, 94 AU out."

Way, way out there

The two Voyager probes are currently the farthest human-built objects from Earth. Voyager 1 is about 10.5 billion miles (16.9 billion km) away from Earth and in perfect health. Their signals take nearly 13 hours to travel to NASA's worldwide Deep Space Network of listening antennas and back.

After detecting the problem on Voyager 2, engineers ordered Voyager 2 on May 6 to only send engineering data to Earth until they could solve the glitch. That occurred on May 12, when engineers realized that a single memory location had been changed from a 0 to a 1.

By May 19, commands to reset the bit were sent to Voyager 2 and the probe resumed sending science data to Earth on May 22. NASA announced the deep space operation's success this week.

NASA launched Voyager 2 in 1977 primarily aimed at studying Saturn, though the spacecraft gained fame for its so-called "grand tour" of the solar system that also included flybys Jupiter, Uranus and Neptune thanks to a planetary alignment that only occurs once every 176 years.

Now, both Voyager 2 and Voyager 1 are headed out of the solar system entirely. Scientists hope the data they are sending back will help answer questions surrounding the magnetic bubble around the solar system.

No known source of magnetic or electric field exists in the membrane which separates the heliosphere from interstellar space, said Massey. Voyager 2 has occupied this region since 2007, said Massey, and has not seen any problems.

"The real question is whether we'll ever know," He said.

space.com

But hey, maybe they're llying again and again and againand again and again

Conspirator

PostMon May 31, 2010 4:27 pm » by Drextin

nick...........you damn well that the alien gas station at the edge of the solar system fixed voyager. We're just lucky they take solid gold records as payment.

Great post as usual nick.
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking
King of my jungle just a gangster stalking

Conspirator

PostMon May 31, 2010 4:32 pm » by Nickelson

Those damn alien IT experts.....they're putting all of us out of jobs.

Having a little vacation in the open Cook cooks nest Drex :D

Conspirator

PostMon May 31, 2010 4:36 pm » by Drextin

Plus all you have to pay them with is cow assholes and the occasional redneck woman.

Conspirator

PostMon May 31, 2010 4:56 pm » by Nickelson

drextin wrote:Plus all you have to pay them with is cow assholes and the occasional redneck woman.

Like the ones destroying this place with there visions?
We've got to many of them, so who cares anyway....JIHAA! ! !

But to get back on topic. I posted this article to proof certain peeps they are really fast going off base on certain unexplained findings and the truth in the end is always very plausible and not so far fetched.

Sure some off my own thought seems a little crazy, but to conclude on everything which seems a bit weird it must be E.T., Haarp, NWO or what ever is a little bit nuts and pure disinformation.

And besides that why would E.T. interfere in a spaceship which is 33 years old for our standards.

Conspirator

PostMon May 31, 2010 5:06 pm » by Drextin

I agree completely. I did entertain the thought about aliens when I first read this stroy when it broke. I mean shit the whole purpose of the mission was the hope an alien might find the probe. I even thought what if aliens are trying to use the probe to contact us.

Sometimes you just have to accept that somethings are just what they seem to be. Not that it doesn't disappoint you when it happens but there is always the next time.

Conspirator

PostMon May 31, 2010 5:11 pm » by Nickelson

drextin wrote:I agree completely. I did entertain the thought about aliens when I first read this stroy when it broke. I mean shit the whole purpose of the mission was the hope an alien might find the probe. I even thought what if aliens are trying to use the probe to contact us.

Sometimes you just have to accept that somethings are just what they seem to be. Not that it doesn't disappoint you when it happens but there is always the next time.

Well I think it one day will happen, the probe eventually will be found and it might already have been found for all I know, but look at the locations of the two probes they travelled shait in space travel time.

But it makes you wonder all together I guess :headscratch:

Conspirator

PostMon May 31, 2010 5:14 pm » by Drextin

Who knows nick. One day I'm sure they will be found if they haven't already. There is still the slight chance that the so called garbled data streams turned out to be something else and they are just not wanting to say.

Conspirator

PostMon May 31, 2010 5:26 pm » by Nickelson

drextin wrote:Who knows nick. One day I'm sure they will be found if they haven't already. There is still the slight chance that the so called garbled data streams turned out to be something else and they are just not wanting to say.

No really man that's just a crazy thought IMO. E.T. won't use our probes to contact us..you really think?

The voyagers are in space for over 30 years now. With all the U.F.O sightings you see being posted right here on this site for example it won't seem plausible they (ET) will use the probe now after all those years; if the sightings indeed are true! And when ET indeed did use the probe I guess the sightings we've all had are all fake after all.

But for the voyager being in space the aliens must be in space also, so my guess is, certain UFO sightings are true and ET took notice of the probe, but really are not willing to pay any attention to it otherwise they would have done it much earlier, so for that the conspiracy story is way out of base on this one IMO.

Conspirator

PostMon May 31, 2010 5:37 pm » by Drextin

Let's say an alien craft was just passing through. They run into the probe. They see its transmitting a signal to somewhere. They then try to use that signal to contact who ever is on the other end. You can't take for granted that every species in the universe knows we are here. Or that they wouldn't be afraid of us because they have better technology. The wise move is to always initiate contact from a distance.

Hell for all we know they have ran across others who were more primitive than us but possessed the ability to control minds. They know that lesser technology does not mean a cakewalk.

We could have been visited by one race for thousands maybe millions of years. Their technology could be what we use secretly that is responsible for 99% of legitimate ufo sightings. So you can't take take it for granted that just because one was here that all are too.

Next