Death bed promise....

Super Moderator

PostSun May 17, 2009 1:20 pm » by Slith

Would awareness constitute consciousness?

Canubis wrote:
i consume more hard liquor a night then all dtv together...

yet i am so god dam smart....and own this shit in my world..

Super Moderator

PostSun May 17, 2009 1:30 pm » by Spock

dlslith wrote:Would awareness constitute consciousness?

I wondered that too - I would have to say yes.

Conspirator

PostSun May 17, 2009 2:14 pm » by Drextin

That is the conundrum..........our energy lives on but do we live on within it.

One theory states that how our energy is used after death is solely dependent on how the universe decides to use the energy. You could wind up being part of a lightening storm or the process that keeps a star burning. Where ever energy is needed the universe will put you.
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking
King of my jungle just a gangster stalking

Super Moderator

PostSun May 17, 2009 8:28 pm » by Spock

drextin wrote:That is the conundrum..........our energy lives on but do we live on within it.

One theory states that how our energy is used after death is solely dependent on how the universe decides to use the energy. You could wind up being part of a lightening storm or the process that keeps a star burning. Where ever energy is needed the universe will put you.

Well, that sux - I would hate to be the conscious energy of a cow's fart, or a dwindling spark from a blown out transformer. That's my luck though. I hope there is something that carries our awareness to a higher plain.

Initiate

PostSun May 17, 2009 8:48 pm » by Bobbyinedmonton

Here's one way I've looked at it:

Let's say that I am observing you drinking a cup of coffee out on the patio of Tim Hortons. Let's also say that I have the ability to move backward and away at the speed of light. As I move away from you at the speed of light, the light that has been reflected off of you would travel in the same direction as me.

Technically, if I am travelling at the speed of your reflected light, in the same direction it is being reflected to, I will stay in that observable moment of you drinking coffee on the patio at Tim Hortons.

It is really hard to explain what I mean, but it's the same idea that we are witnessing the light of stars that is hundreds to billions of years old. You may look at a star in the night sky and enjoy it's light, thinking that it still exists, but it may have well gone supernova millions of years ago, but the light pattern of that event has yet to reach this point in space. So, while technically the star doesn't exists anymore, we observe it to exist and know no better. But even if we are lucky enough to witness the last of a dying star's light, the entire history of it's light is still zooming through space. Meaning that another observer behind us, will still believe that star to exist.

And since light is energy, and it will always continue to travel away and toward us with some personality of the object or experience it has been through. Meaning that, as long as the light from that dead star is still hurdeling toward the edge of the universe, it will somehow always exist, regardless of what we believe about it's physical being.

Because of Atheism and the belief that death is just death, I sort of stumbled on this cold hard scientific reality of light. Now I believe that as beings of complex energy, we will forever transcend the physical molecular world we now live in.

Initiate

PostSun May 17, 2009 9:32 pm » by Captchaos

Snake, thanks for the post.
This is a interesting topic to me. (i have thought this out over and over, typing this again and again. never to get my thoughts just right)
I think we live our life in a loop until we get it just right. We are either blessed or doomed to play this life out until we have learned the lesson that was given to us at that eternal moment just before our birth. When we have figured it out, only then can move on to the next.
We chose who we want to be, the time and place. The scenario is the same the souls are the same, we r all bound to each other. In between life and death time stands still it could be a moment or a century in time before we start it all over again.
I think your grandfather had a realization maybe something just like that and shared his thoughts or a thought, of eternity w/u. Could be he is already amoungst' u or waiting to be your brother in your next go around. which ever way maybe he has already told u what he needed to say.

PostSun May 17, 2009 9:49 pm » by Hesop

Setting aside all the other stories I've heard, and things I believed I saw, I had one personal experience that absolutely blew me away.

My ex-wife had a grandma. It was her mothers mother. We married kinda quickly after we met, so there was still a lot of "newness" there, the first time I went with her to meet her "granny". She was in her upper 80's. A pretty frail, thin looking woman of short stature. I was introduced to her, she was very pleasant. But yet I was the outsider here as well, so after the pleasantries, I went outside so they could visit. I met her 2 times this way. The stays were never very long, as she tired quickly.

Then one day, the call came, that granny was in the hospital, with not much time left. Her body was slowly shutting down. So we went to the hospital, to see her for what may have been the last time. All of my ex-wifes aunts and uncles were there. About 7 in all. Lined up sitting against the wall beside the bed. When we entered the room, granny was just lying in her bed, only moving her eyes down to see who had entered. We stepped up beside the bed, and my wife took her grannies hand. Her eye's were glassy, but she looked at both of us, and said a faint "hi". Again, as the outsider, I let them have their stay, not wishing to intrude on such a personal family situation. I only stood by to show support for my wife.

That night, at home, Kim (my ex) asked me if there wasn't something I could do. I must interject here, that Kim was very aware of circumstances surrounding me, having been a personal witness many times. I told her I had no idea what I could possibly do to offer any assistance in this situation, but I would think on it hard. That night, I had an extremely profound dream. I was standing at the front of a pathway in a meadow, holding Granny's hand, she was at my side. The path was at the top of a knoll. It was a grassy path that looked as if it was mowed. On either side was tall grasses and wildflowers. Ahead of us, the path came to a tee. As we aproached the tee, a woman came walking up from the left side and turned to greet us. She looked to be about 55 or 60 years old. Kind of darker grey hair, with a streak of silver on either side in the front. She said "Granny, come, we're waiting for you". Granny left my side and joined her. Then this lady gave me what I considered, a scary look. "You go back now. You don't belong!"

Well, that spooked me enough to awaken me, and I raised quickly. That woke up Kim, so I told her the entire dream. But I also told her, that even though it was not spoken of, I felt the strong realization, that there was some unsettled dispute between Granny, and 2 of her sons. Kim could only acknowledge that there were some family rumors of this, but she didn't know the details. The place was beautiful, surreal. But so profound. Unlike other dreams, I could actually smell all the flowers, feel the breeze in my face, and hear distant birds. I had to get up for a bit and clear my head, before going back to sleep.

The next day, after work, we were to go back to the hospital again. Granny's condition was steadily deteriorating. When we opened the door, it was exactly as the previous day. Everyone was there. When we approached the bed though, Granny turned to see us and raised up, held out both her arms towards me, and repeated my name over and over. So I went to her and she grabbed my hands, repeating my name. " That was so beautiful" she said, "So many wonderful things that woman showed me!" "Oh, I love you so much for taking me there", and she kissed my hands.Kim was kneeling on the bed next to me, staring at me bugged eyed. I heard movement behind me. Granny's sons and daughters stood up. Granny then took Kim's hands, and told her"I've got just a few things to do sweetheart, then old granny here will leave you". Everyone else in the room was giving me terrible looks, so I kissed granny's hand and told her goodbye, and left the room.

Later that night at home, we got a call from Kims mom at the hospital. She said that granny had a talk with her 2 sons, laid back to rest, and passed away. I have no explanation as to the events and how they came about. But the witnesses are indisputable. It was one of the most profound moments in my life, that I still do not fully understand.

Super Moderator

PostSun May 17, 2009 9:50 pm » by Slith

Interesting Bobbie, very well thought out. The only part I disagree with is the patio at Timmies, never seen one in my area. I really like the train of thought though

Canubis wrote:
i consume more hard liquor a night then all dtv together...

yet i am so god dam smart....and own this shit in my world..

Master Conspirator

PostSun May 17, 2009 10:04 pm » by Cornbread714

What a beautiful story, Hesop.
I've had several experiences that certainly made me consider the possibility of an afterlife.
One or two I've already talked about on other threads.
I could give a few more personal examples, but they are rather personal and would take a lot of space to tell the full stories, but I've heard and read of so many other people's similar experiences that I have to be open-minded.

Your account is really compelling and I'm sure you are being completely sincere and honest. When something like this happens in someone's life (as it has in mine and yours and countless others) it is really difficult to discount or ignore.
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

Master Conspirator

PostSun May 17, 2009 10:11 pm » by Cornbread714

bobbyinedmonton wrote:Here's one way I've looked at it:

Let's say that I am observing you drinking a cup of coffee out on the patio of Tim Hortons. Let's also say that I have the ability to move backward and away at the speed of light. As I move away from you at the speed of light, the light that has been reflected off of you would travel in the same direction as me.

Technically, if I am travelling at the speed of your reflected light, in the same direction it is being reflected to, I will stay in that observable moment of you drinking coffee on the patio at Tim Hortons.

It is really hard to explain what I mean, but it's the same idea that we are witnessing the light of stars that is hundreds to billions of years old. You may look at a star in the night sky and enjoy it's light, thinking that it still exists, but it may have well gone supernova millions of years ago, but the light pattern of that event has yet to reach this point in space. So, while technically the star doesn't exists anymore, we observe it to exist and know no better. But even if we are lucky enough to witness the last of a dying star's light, the entire history of it's light is still zooming through space. Meaning that another observer behind us, will still believe that star to exist.

And since light is energy, and it will always continue to travel away and toward us with some personality of the object or experience it has been through. Meaning that, as long as the light from that dead star is still hurdeling toward the edge of the universe, it will somehow always exist, regardless of what we believe about it's physical being.

Because of Atheism and the belief that death is just death, I sort of stumbled on this cold hard scientific reality of light. Now I believe that as beings of complex energy, we will forever transcend the physical molecular world we now live in.

Good post, and I agree with your hypothesis. Also, if you take your analogy back to the microcosm, the light from your friend across the table is also reaching yours eyes after the event happened, even though he is only a few feet away.
When you look at all of reality from this relativistic viewpoint, the question of what "now" is becomes very slippery indeed.
Where's the beer and when do I get paid?
- Jimmy Carl Black (the Indian of the group)

PreviousNext