Detroit police chief to citizens: Arm yourselves

Conspirator

PostMon Jan 06, 2014 6:11 am » by Evildweeb

2ND AMENDMENT UNDER FIRE

Detroit police chief to citizens: Arm yourselves

Former gun-control advocate changes tune in combating crime

author Drew Zahn

Drew Zahn is a WND news editor who cut his journalist teeth as a member of the award-winning staff of Leadership, Christianity Today's professional journal for church leaders. A former pastor, he is the editor of seven books, including Movie-Based Illustrations for Preaching & Teaching, which sparked his ongoing love affair with film and his weekly WND column, "Popcorn and a (world)view."

Detroit Chief of Police James Craig

During his 28 years on the police force in Los Angeles, James Craig tended to agree with his state’s tight control over concealed carry permits, believing fewer guns would lead to fewer violent crimes.

But when he moved to Portland, Maine, in 2009 to serve as the city’s new police chief, he discovered a different culture – one where guns actually made people safer.

Now Craig, the chief of police in Detroit, Mich., has a message for the law-abiding folks in his crime-ridden city: Arm yourselves, and criminals will think twice about attacking you.

At a press conference at police headquarters Thursday, the Detroit News reports, Craig praised the deterrent power of a legally armed citizenry.

“When we look at the good community members who have concealed weapons permits,” he said, “the likelihood they’ll shoot is based on a lack of confidence in this Police Department.”

Craig’s statements echoed those he made Dec. 19 on WJR Radio’s “The Paul W. Smith Show”: “There’s a number of [concealed pistol license, or CPL] holders running around the city of Detroit. I think it acts as a deterrent. Good Americans with CPLs translates into crime reduction. I learned that real quick in the state of Maine.”

At the press conference Thursday, Craig described his conversion from gun hater to gun advocate.

“Coming from California, where it takes an act of Congress to get a concealed weapon permit, I got to Maine, where they give out lots of [carrying concealed weapon permits, or CCWs], and I had a stack of CCW permits I was denying; that was my orientation,” he said. “I changed my orientation real quick. Maine is one of the safest places in America. Clearly, suspects knew that good Americans were armed.”

Robyn Thomas, director of the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence in San Francisco, however, criticized Craig’s conclusion.

FULL STORY @ WND.COM

http://www.wnd.com/2014/01/detroit-poli ... ourselves/

:think:

Beer acquisition continues up to the point of some form of saturation and is driven on a course directed by the path of least resistance to the fridge

Conspirator

PostMon Jan 06, 2014 6:56 am » by Cia212

He'll be discredited pretty quickly.

Writer

PostMon Jan 06, 2014 7:12 am » by Doctor of ?

It's funny how when things looks tuff, good liberals turn into better conservatives..........No atheists in a foxhole LOL

Conspirator

PostTue Jan 07, 2014 10:32 pm » by Thebluecanary

Evildweeb wrote:

Arm yourselves, and criminals will think twice about attacking you.

At a press conference at police headquarters Thursday, the Detroit News reports, Craig praised the deterrent power of a legally armed citizenry.

Our NYC cop friend claims this is why we haven't had massive occurrences of "Knock out" in the South. Because you never know who might be packing, even your sweet old Grandma.

I would imagine that there are other factors that also contribute to the safety of Maine, but lots of potentially armed "victims" can't hurt. I'm interested overall in seeing what happens with Detroit. I'm also interested in seeing what happens in NYC now that "stop and frisk" is no more. That's another place where it takes a virtual act of Congress to get a gun permit.
Remember, in a real conspiracy, all players are pawns regardless of their rank.
-----Christopher Hyatt