Do atheists believe we have souls?

Conspirator

PostSat Mar 29, 2014 4:20 am » by Phoenix rising

Calling all atheists, I know there is a disbelief in a god but do you believe we have a soul... spirit?

I'm not stating that all atheists don't believe we have a soul because a friend who is atheists states he simply doesn't know because nothing is scientifically proven as such, but he personally chooses to believe there is no god, I guess there are different levels of atheistic beliefs much as there are religious beliefs, we can have a moderate atheists and a fanatic one, the fanatic chooses to believe that if it has not been proven by science its not proven while the moderate goes along with the' I don't know which maybe can lean towards agnostic, I would class myself as agnostic, not believing in God as such but believe there is something bigger than myself, maybe in many peoples eyes creators can be interpreted as God where in fact they could be nothing more than advanced beings who have played with the gene pool.

Going back to the soul and spirit there have been documented accounts of surgeons performing surgery where the patient has died on the operating table but is bought back to life, when he comes around some hours later they can recount stories of having witnessed the operation from above looking down and recount the story to the surgeon and other staff with great accuracy, to which the surgeons and related staff are astounded, if there are fanatic atheists how can one dismiss stories like these, its not like all these surgeons and staff are religious folk, many are also agnostic and indeed atheists, then there are collaborated ghost and possession stories witnessed by police amongst other professionals...
We live a one directional life in an omnidirectional existence

Initiate

PostSat Mar 29, 2014 4:48 am » by Middleman

I don't.

I want there to be one, and a significant portion of the alternative research material that I study relies on there being one (Farrell), but if I had to bet, I'd guess it's another mental security blanket still being clutched onto by an immature species.

So atheist on God, more agnostic on the soul, for mine.

Conspirator

PostSat Mar 29, 2014 4:57 am » by Cosmine

Actually someone who doesn't believe in the souls... Should be called an apneumist... From the Greek pneuma.... (breath, spirit, soul. )

BTW, I believe god to be an amazing idiot.... And I even more am even more idiotic....

:cheers:
Cosmine's cohost...:M8

Upload to Disclose.tv

Vocasti! :twisted:

Initiate

PostSat Mar 29, 2014 5:10 am » by Skydog

It's so tough to give an answer as an athiest when i believe everybody is to some extent agnostic,
You would have to be mad to put all your eggs in one basket and commit to one religion or another.One belief in the soul being free,one being forever in prison.I'm confident enough to accept there is no soul.
I'm hard minded enough to accept that if this is it,then so be it.
but how funny and ridiculous that they do believe in an ever after :alien51:

I doubt your soul would exist after your brain was turned off,but you wouldn't care!
All your atoms might migrate but i reckon you would be gone.(Good job too in some cases)
Little electric flashes between clusters of brain cells,that's your thoughts.
An interesting question would be if we got given a leg-up or just evolved into this by chance
and mathematics.(for my 2p worth,it's chance)we are the only result that worked,so therefore
we are here.It is impossible to know though so make your own mind up and remember that
it doesn't really do you any favours to dwell on matters like these.

Initiate

PostSat Mar 29, 2014 5:29 am » by Rumpleforeskin

Phoenix rising wrote: documented accounts of surgeons performing surgery where the patient has died on the operating table but is bought back to life, when he comes around some hours later they can recount stories of having witnessed the operation from above looking down and recount the story to the surgeon and other staff with great accuracy, to which the surgeons and related staff are astounded,

This could be more a perceptional issue/ level of awareness thing then a ethereal entity that encompasses the entirety of your personality that can leave the vessel of its recent origin to go chill Rollin down the street, smokin indo, sippin on gin and juice
Laid back

(with my mind on my money and my money on my mind)

Sorry, I digress

In any case, it is impossible to separate the religious connotation to the word soul, / and or spirit.
Also it is typically the 'go to' when accounts, such as you note, are laid in the realm of subjective evidences.
I am more aware of the anecdotal documentation, of symbols or letters seen, or recounting the events that transpired. Not lab tested induced documentation. Either way, this could be more a trigger to heightened perception, due to an event than divine inspired narrative.
"If you ask me, beer is no different then piss, that stuff will never get you drunk. A Real man takes Rum."

Upload to Disclose.tv

Initiate

PostSat Mar 29, 2014 8:30 am » by Tntbw

Cosmine wrote:
BTW, I believe god to be an amazing idiot.... And I even more am even more idiotic....

:cheers:

Well if you were made in his image, then you are absolutely correct. I could talk about his track record, but what's the point, we all know it sucks.

I do believe in people having souls, or a form of energy that can either be reused (reincarnation) or can transcend into a higher state of being. If given the choice, I would choose go elsewhere, this planet sucks.

PostSat Mar 29, 2014 8:57 am » by phauqhue

So, ya want to know if I believe a human being possesses a soul. I can only imagine your definition of a soul, and regardless of what that may be, I have a strong feeling that you believe it, (the soul.), continues beyond death.
That is the big brass ring in your belief, isn't it? Eternal life. The body may die, but the soul will end up in heaven or hell, right?
What I'd like to do is forget for a moment the wonderful mystical power of the "Soul" and it's glorious ability to live forever, and spend a moment to consider just exactly what the soul is. What is the Soul?
I have to imagine the soul is unique to each individual and that each one would have a name, much like people with actual bodies have a name. So the soul is you or me, or somebody else, but it's an individual. Does the soul you speak of have the memories of it's lifetime?
You must believe that it does because I've heard you think that after you die, your christian soul leaves your body and rises to heaven, or hell, to either laugh with the sinners or cry with the saints.
So if I may be so bold, I am going to assume that you believe the "Soul" is the essence of an individual. The lifetime of experiences and memories that make up who a person is. That is, I think, what you believe we take to heaven or hell, and call "The Soul".
I believe, on the other hand the Soul, as you call it, is located inside our brain. I call it memory. And I don't believe we take it with us when we die, but isn't that the closest thing to a soul there is?
All of my memories combined, make me who I am.
I remember, for instance, the first time I made love, hell I remember the first time I noticed her. That memory is mine. You didn't live it, I did. It's in my head. My brain. Every fucking thing I've ever done in my whole life has been witnessed by my brain, except for those blackout drunk days in the early eighties, again very sorry about your car Sarah.
My point is that memories are physical. They are stored in our heads like 1's and 0's on a hard-drive, and if you don't think they can't be removed check out the poor fuck with the frontal lobotomy who can't remember his wife's name or what a spoon is. Where did his memories go? Most likely a piece of brain-meat now called medical waste.
So if my "soul" is a physical thing which resides inside my brain as a stockpile of memories, than I believe that after I die, my brain, along with the rest of my body will meet the worms in the ground. My Brain, as well as the rest of my body will slowly rot in the ground and my memories, which are stored on that flesh hard-drive will rot and disappear also. This does not frighten me. It is the natural way of things. All things die.
The solar system we live in, will one day no longer be. If you believe the expanding universe, will one day begin to contract as I do, than the very universe itself will die. Why be so pompous as to believe that a puny human will live forever. And why would you want to. That's another thing. If I'm gonna live forever, than I'm gonna need a body because livin' ain't livin' unless I can eat, dance, gaze in wonder, or touch beauty, and for all that I need a body, but I would be buried with the worms. See the problem yet?
Why would I want to live for eternity with no physical body.
So, to summarize. Your soul is that essential part of your being which makes you, you, and me, me. The only difference between who you are, and who i am, are the memories each of us possess. If I had your memories, and you had my memories we would be each other. I think there was a Star Trek episode like that.
Our soul/memories, as we are alive, can be ripped from our body by serious head injuries, viruses, drinking salt water and everyone's favorite, the aforementioned frontal lobotomy. When we die, the same brain that holds all those memories will wither and rot, the flesh will be reduced to dust and you will be no more.
I don't believe, as the god followers do, that my memories will live on, and I accept the fact that my body is dead and buried. I don't see myself eating lobster with the dearly departed up there in heaven because, you see, my body is in the ground rotting.
And don't tell me there's no lobster in what you god followers call heaven, no place would be called heaven unless there was lobster...and pizza. Sausage and onion, with extra garlic. Aww but the body. Coffin, rotting, worms. How will I eat my lobster, oh and chicken a la king. Love that stuff, without a body. If I gotta live for eternity I'm gonna need some chicken a la king, and for that I need taste buds, and a stomach, and you know, a mouth, with teeth. Is any of this getting thru? You can't eat without a body and well, I hate to tell ya, but it's no longer able to do that stuff when it's in a grave.
Atheists, such as myself, believe life is a one shot deal. Make the most of it 'cause one go-round is all each of us get.
Now to literally answer your question, no Virginia there is no soul, not in the mystical gonna live forever at the right hand of God type of Soul. You see Virginia, that's what people with brains call "a story." There are only the memories of a lifetime of days and nights, and the adventures we endure, then transmission ends and poof, nothing. An atheist is OK with that.

Super Moderator

PostSat Mar 29, 2014 9:04 am » by Slith

That's a hell of a lot of F'cks for your first post.

Tone it down. We all have opinions, make your responses at least respectful

marnysad wrote:How to Pee a Brain Injury Rectification Involve Brain hurt

Initiate

PostSat Mar 29, 2014 9:07 am » by Tntbw

phauqhue wrote:So, ya want to know if I believe a human being possesses a soul. I can only imagine your definition of a soul, and regardless of what that may be, I have a strong feeling that you believe it, (the soul.), continues beyond death.
That is the big brass ring in your belief, isn't it? Eternal life. The body may die, but the soul will end up in heaven or hell, right?
What I'd like to do is forget for a moment the wonderful mystical power of the "Soul" and it's glorious ability to live forever, and spend a moment to consider just exactly what the soul is. What is the Soul?
I have to imagine the soul is unique to each individual and that each one would have a name, much like people with actual bodies have a name. So the soul is you or me, or somebody else, but it's an individual. Does the soul you speak of have the memories of it's lifetime?
You must believe that it does because I've heard you think that after you die, your christian soul leaves your body and rises to heaven, or hell, to either laugh with the sinners or cry with the saints.
So if I may be so bold, I am going to assume that you believe the "Soul" is the essence of an individual. The lifetime of experiences and memories that make up who a person is. That is, I think, what you believe we take to heaven or hell, and call "The Soul".
I believe, on the other hand the Soul, as you call it, is located inside our brain. I call it memory. And I don't believe we take it with us when we die, but isn't that the closest thing to a soul there is?
All of my memories combined, make me who I am.
I remember, for instance, the first time I made love, hell I remember the first time I noticed her. That memory is mine. You didn't live it, I did. It's in my head. My brain. Every fucking thing I've ever done in my whole life has been witnessed by my brain, except for those blackout drunk days in the early eighties, again very sorry about your car Sarah.
My point is that memories are physical. They are stored in our heads like 1's and 0's on a hard-drive, and if you don't think they can't be removed check out the poor fuck with the frontal lobotomy who can't remember his wife's name or what a spoon is. Where did his memories go? Most likely a piece of brain-meat now called medical waste.
So if my "soul" is a physical thing which resides inside my brain as a stockpile of memories, than I believe that after I die, my brain, along with the rest of my body will meet the worms in the ground. My Brain, as well as the rest of my body will slowly rot in the ground and my memories, which are stored on that flesh hard-drive will rot and disappear also. This does not frighten me. It is the natural way of things. All things die.
The solar system we live in, will one day no longer be. If you believe the expanding universe, will one day begin to contract as I do, than the very universe itself will die. Why be so pompous as to believe that a puny human will live forever. And why would you want to. That's another thing. If I'm gonna live forever, than I'm gonna need a body because livin' ain't livin' unless I can eat, dance, gaze in wonder, or touch beauty, and for all that I need a body, but I would be buried with the worms. See the problem yet?
Why would I want to live for eternity with no physical body.
So, to summarize. Your soul is that essential part of your being which makes you, you, and me, me. The only difference between who you are, and who i am, are the memories each of us possess. If I had your memories, and you had my memories we would be each other. I think there was a Star Trek episode like that.
Our soul/memories, as we are alive, can be ripped from our body by serious head injuries, viruses, drinking salt water and everyone's favorite, the aforementioned frontal lobotomy. When we die, the same brain that holds all those memories will wither and rot, the flesh will be reduced to dust and you will be no more.
I don't believe, as the god followers do, that my memories will live on, and I accept the fact that my body is dead and buried. I don't see myself eating lobster with the dearly departed up there in heaven because, you see, my body is in the ground rotting.
And don't tell me there's no lobster in what you god followers call heaven, no place would be called heaven unless there was lobster...and pizza. Sausage and onion, with extra garlic. Aww but the body. Coffin, rotting, worms. How will I eat my lobster, oh and chicken a la king. Love that stuff, without a body. If I gotta live for eternity I'm gonna need some chicken a la king, and for that I need taste buds, and a stomach, and you know, a mouth, with teeth. Is any of this getting thru? You can't eat without a body and well, I hate to tell ya, but it's no longer able to do that stuff when it's in a grave.
Atheists, such as myself, believe life is a one shot deal. Make the most of it 'cause one go-round is all each of us get.
Now to literally answer your question, no Virginia there is no soul, not in the mystical gonna live forever at the right hand of God type of Soul. You see Virginia, that's what people with brains call "a story." There are only the memories of a lifetime of days and nights, and the adventures we endure, then transmission ends and poof, nothing. An atheist is OK with that.

Dude, that's what I call a passionate first post, good job. Just curious, how high are you right now? Good times. :pray:

Super Moderator

PostSat Mar 29, 2014 9:13 am » by Slith

Tntbw wrote:

Dude, that's what I call a passionate first post, good job. Just curious, how high are you right now? Good times. :pray:

I was fine with the post, until his last sentence, which I deleted

Quote:

"Does that answer your fucking question asshole"

marnysad wrote:How to Pee a Brain Injury Rectification Involve Brain hurt

Next