Do smokers lungs save lives?

Writer

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 6:34 pm » by Clearized1

I don't know if this article has been posted yet, but I found it interesting/weird. Even the title of the article @ the top of the page link below is a bit of an Oxymoron.

Any thoughts?

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01 ... inds?lite=
Shouting that Government is suppressing the people is like shouting that somebody pooped in the pool. It's only a funny statement until you realize it's true.

Initiate

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 6:42 pm » by Umbrex

For some patients on a crowded organ waiting list, lungs from smokers are better than none.

Writer

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 11:40 pm » by Clearized1

Umbrex wrote:
For some patients on a crowded organ waiting list, lungs from smokers are better than none.

I read this, and it's the one statement I totally agree with.
Aside from people who were desperate for them, this article
makes it sound like they are OK for those who aren't desperate as well.
Shouting that Government is suppressing the people is like shouting that somebody pooped in the pool. It's only a funny statement until you realize it's true.

Initiate

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 11:55 pm » by mykingdomforthetruth

a guy i know who smoked for years fell asleep with a pan on the stove with fat in it, it caught fire and burned the kitchen and half of the living room with him in the middle of it he crawld out the house with his legs on fire and severe smoke inhilation, he was burned and puking but alive the hospital held him and tested him then later said any normal person would have passed out from lack of oxygen the very fact he was a smoker saved his miserable life
It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts -- of incompetence and irresponsibility.

Initiate

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 12:23 am » by Umbrex

lungs arent ruined just because you smoke.

alot of people who develop lunge diseases have a genetic default so they dont produce the 100% right enzyme which repairs the elastic fibers of the lung tissue. this is one of the real killers. smoking excacerbates (spelling) it. lotsa people have lotsa weird problems, but this one is major. some people have it so bad (the enzyme), they develop COPD _without_ smoking

this is also why people "bounce back" when they stop smoking. the body is an amazing thing, it takes alot more than a few cigarettes to destroy the lungs. id rather have the lunge with the right enzyme from a smoker of 10 years, over a lung with a defect enzyme (assuming its not made in the liver, which i am to lazy to check up on now)

i have seen cuts of lung tissue from non smokers vs people living in the big city. they were both black.

edit: lung transplants arent like going shopping for cars. more often than not, choice is not a luxury since there needs to be some "genetic" match-up

Conspirator

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 am » by Opalserpent

mykingdomforthetruth wrote:a guy i know who smoked for years fell asleep with a pan on the stove with fat in it, it caught fire and burned the kitchen and half of the living room with him in the middle of it he crawld out the house with his legs on fire and severe smoke inhilation, he was burned and puking but alive the hospital held him and tested him then later said any normal person would have passed out from lack of oxygen the very fact he was a smoker saved his miserable life

Wow, cool story, working as a removalist I came across some lung cancer victims and they
said they were never smokers in the first place.

What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. If we grew our own tabacco for personal use
I think we would all be fine but nooooo, government makes too much money from taxing
cigarettes and making up bs adds on t.v. and a cigarette packets to make us feel guilty so
we can keep paying higher and higher prices for tobacco you can buy in bali for 2 dollars.

They don't care about lung cancer, they care about making as much money off tabacco
as possible. More people die of alcohol every year then tabacco but you don't see
them launching adds on alcohol bottles with diseased livers and hearts?

Ofcouse not.
Live by the Terror, Die by the Terror.