Do you believe in spirits and ghosts?

Writer

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 10:35 am » by sevenflowers

I believe in Ghosts.I have never seen one.Too many people have seen them. :nwo:
http://www.xtmmo.com

Initiate

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 6:08 pm » by Govtslave

Fatdogmendoza wrote:
Poooooot wrote:I've seen ghosts with my own eyes, and I've felt their "spirits" in the room with me. So in a word, yes. I believe.

But I'm not really versed on biblical passages, so I can't really comment on this:
gabehart wrote:in the bible, when jesus walked over the water and the disciples did not recognise him and yelled, its a ghost, its a ghost!, jesus said i am not a ghost. does he mean to indirectly say that ghosts exist?

Poooooot, best I can do not being a religous person myself...

The answer to your question depends on what precisely is meant by the term “ghosts.” If the term means “spirit beings,” the answer is a qualified “yes.” If the term means “spirits of people who have died,” the answer is “no.” The Bible makes it abundantly clear that there are spirit beings, both good and evil. But the Bible negates the idea that the spirits of deceased human beings can remain on earth and “haunt” the living.

Hebrews 9:27 declares, “Man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment.” That is what happens to a person’s soul-spirit after death—judgment. The result of this judgment is heaven for the believer (2 Corinthians 5:6-8; Philippians 1:23) and hell for the unbeliever (Matthew 25:46; Luke 16:22-24). There is no in-between. There is no possibility of remaining on earth in spirit form as a “ghost.” If there are such things as ghosts, according to the Bible, they absolutely cannot be the disembodied spirits of deceased human beings.

The Bible teaches very clearly that there are indeed spirit beings who can connect with and appear in our physical world. The Bible identifies these beings as angels and demons. Angels are spirit beings who are faithful in serving God. Angels are righteous, good, and holy. Demons are fallen angels, angels who rebelled against God. Demons are evil, deceptive, and destructive. According to 2 Corinthians 11:14-15, demons masquerade as “angels of light” and as “servants of righteousness.” Appearing as a “ghost” and impersonating a deceased human being definitely seem to be within the power and abilities that demons possess.

The closest biblical example of a “haunting” is found in Mark 5:1-20. A legion of demons possessed a man and used the man to haunt a graveyard. There were no ghosts involved. It was a case of a normal person being controlled by demons to terrorize the people of that area. Demons only seek to “kill, steal, and destroy” (John 10:10). They will do anything within their power to deceive people, to lead people away from God. This is very likely the explanation of “ghostly” activity today. Whether it is called a ghost, a ghoul, or a poltergeist, if there is genuine evil spiritual activity occurring, it is the work of demons.

:flop:

I think you did fairly well being a non-religious person. May I add (also for Spock) that King Saul in the old testament of the Bible used the "witch of Endore" to call up the spirit of the profit Samual. Whether it was actually a demon or Samuel is not said. But elsewhere in the old testament, it states that this angered God toward Saul and was a reason for his death.

In the New Testament, the apostle Peter escaped from jail and showed up at the front door of some friend's house who said "it is his ghost". Prior to Christ, the dead went to "Hades" which was a holding place for dead souls. It was compartmentalized into "paradise" and "torment". Jesus told the story of Lazarous being in the torment side of Hades and wanting to warn his brothers not to come there. The story describes an uncrossable gulf between the two sides.

Jesus also commended the thief on the cross "that today you will be with me in Paradise". It is believed by some, including myself, that during the period between the crucifixion and the resurrection of Christ, Jesus went to Hades and released all those in Paradise to heaven and those in torment to hell. Or realistically, they were left in torment. This is indicated in the apostle Paul's statement that Jesus led captives captive. Referring to the Gospel i.e. death, burial, and resurrection.

The apostle Paul said "absent from the body, present with the Lord". This would indicate one's arrival in heaven to be pretty much instantaneous. I agree with your assessment of what ghosts are from a religious point of view. However, I have not discounted the possibility that ghosts could be those souls who didn't make it to heaven. They are stuck here until Christ comes again. At which point the "lake of fire" enters the picture.

Previous