Your Plan Should the Unthinkable Happen ?.

Super Moderator

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 2:37 pm » by Troll2rocks

Does anyone have a plan for a doomsday like scenario already mapped out ?

Whether it be a viral outbreak that turns everyday people into contaminated killers. Or, Vombies.

An Asteroid Impact.

Social Political Breakdown.

Nuclear War / Terrorism.

Catastrophic Resource Depletion.

Oil

Incurable Global Pandemic.

Alien Invasion

Each one of those is equally horrific, and as far fetched as some of those may seem, they are all equally plausible. The resource depletion of oil (the backbone of humanity) being the most prominent, then nuclear war, then the distinct possibility of an asteroid being mapped with a direct trajectory towards our home.

However, each of those listed above is equally possible. Along with many more.

I am interested to know, if anyone has ever thought about a realistic response to such horrific events, and the likely precautions you would take to ensure your survival should one of the above actually occur.

So what would be your likely plan of action for one or all of the above. Obviously survival isn't always possible depending on what event you are witness to. However, it never hurts to have a plan of action ready just in case.

So what would you do ?, realistically, all joking aside.

:think:
Censorship debunking & disinformation, it's all in a days work.

Conspirator

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 3:48 pm » by Poooooot

The only thing I could think of doing is hunkering down with my grandparents... They have a generator and everything we would ever need.... Either that or running to Amish Country (about a half hour drive from when I live) and hope they take us in.
Matthew 7
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Super Moderator

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 3:51 pm » by Slith

My basement is packed with enough sustainable non-perishable food for a year. Plus I have a shelter outside beside my shed. Also have a little cottage out in the middle of nowhere that is hard to access, that has supplies for a couple of months.

Beating the shit out of spammers......one click at a time

Initiate

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 3:56 pm » by Spikey

With forward planning, a world without oil won't be a problem. Tidal power is inexhaustable, and will always be there to exploit. It has billions of Terrawatts potential worldwide....so ignoring big oils efforts to maintain it's power monopoly, and resulting weak drive to exploit this clean and cheap resource...power won't be a problem long term.

Short term, without investment will be a nightmare though, the only real option for ordinary people will be small scale power generation by means of wind, solar, biogas, compgas and water power (whether steam engines, tidal, dams etc.) we'd manage, but it will be wild for a while i guess.
Setting up one of these systems, depending on where you live, is something that can be done now to ensure the lights stay on.

A killer virus / bacteria is a real proposition for causing mayhem around the world...luckily, these things are continuously mutating...an almost instant killer virus today, might morph into a harmless virus tomorrow...but can do a lot of damage until it mutates into a relatively harmless bug.

The only thing people can do to limit exposure, is strict quarantine protocols.

Complete isolation, until the danger is passed would ensure survival. This would mean either hunkering down in an isolated locale, or if you can't relocate yourself and family, stocking up on 6 months worth of food and water, batteries, toiletries, and other essentials and sealing your home up tight. Hepa filters would be a good idea to cover air intakes. Tape up your letterbox slot...the postman may have the virus, and will tranfer it to your mail...don't touch mail, deliveries, or ANYTHING someone outside of your home may have come into contact with.

A nuke will be hard to protect against for the average person.

If you're in the blast radius, you've had your chips anyway...so as you say, not much can be done about that. Fallout (up to a couple of weeks approx) will be a problem for those outside the blast zones...again, a sealed home will help, but radiation will penetrate through walls and barriers...an effective technique, which can be done by ordinary folks on a budget is to install a water wall. Water is one of natures most effective radiation barriers.

The water wall is simply a large room, either in your home, or under it, or nearby it...but lined with filled water containers.

An easy way to do this is to get square or rectangular 20 liter plastic containers, with tight leakproof screw tops, filled to the brim with tap water, and built into a room shape of three or four container thickness (to give about 3 or 4 foot thick walls and ceiling. 3 or 4 feet thickness of water will shield you from most of the radiation, if not all of it. You're family would have to live in this space for upto two weeks or so, until the fallout...has fallen out. Rain speed this up, as do high winds.

A radiation monitor, Iodine pills or liquids (and possibly 'suicide pills or means to painlessly and compassionately end a life may be needed for those in agony from radiation) And all other esentials for life would need to be on hand, in the water wall space. Don't leave the space, unless you have to for at least a week. Don't forget wind up radios for news broadcasts, lighting, sanitary containers with tight fitting lids (for the obvious) and treats for kids (sweets, games, cards, drawing and reading materials) to keep spirits up.

In association with a nuclear emergency, the next danger will come from other survivors looking for a way out, for food and water, for weapons, for just about everything they can find. Your stuff will do very nicely, unless you protect it...(another reason to stand up for the 2nd, asking desperate people nicely to leave you and your family alone won't work.

Social breakdown, is pretty similar to a viral outbreak + nuclear emergency combined, minus the water wall and radiation precautions...unless the breakdown causes multiple nuclear power stations to melt down, then it will still apply.

Social breakdown is probably going to be something that will be nasty, but relatively short lived, but it would be wise to isolate yourself, in a very remote area if possible, and plan for surviving, without additional supplies for around 6 months to 1 year.

Alien invasion...too many unknowns to counter this one.

But at a guess, if it was an agressive campaign, i would imagine there wouldn't be much technologically the ordinary man or woman could do, except to isolate and plan for an extended period of 'you're on your own'. If their biology is significantly different to Earth based life, it may turn out the flora and fauna might ultimately take care of them, but it's likely they would already know about this danger and would have taken steps to protect themselves.

The only hope for ordinary people would be that they only target military and infrastructure targets, and ignore remote populations deciding there's is no threat to them. If they intend to stay permanently, and not just mine minerals etc and then leave a few years later, things would be more difficult. Resistance would probably revolve around capturing their tech and duplicating it or capturing enough to use to fight with (very difficult with no civilisation left), or working on a biological weapon that would be species specific and infecting them with that...hoping that would spread among them and they'd either die, weaken enough so we could beat them, or outright leave.

Interesting topic.

Conspirator

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 4:01 pm » by Poooooot

Slith wrote:My basement is packed with enough sustainable non-perishable food for a year. Plus I have a shelter outside beside my shed. Also have a little cottage out in the middle of nowhere that is hard to access, that has supplies for a couple of months.

Damn, I'm coming to stay with you! :lol:
Matthew 7
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Super Moderator

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 4:20 pm » by Troll2rocks

Spikey wrote:With forward planning, a world without oil won't be a problem. Tidal power is inexhaustable, and will always be there to exploit. It has billions of Terrawatts potential worldwide....so ignoring big oils efforts to maintain it's power monopoly, and resulting weak drive to exploit this clean and cheap resource...power won't be a problem long term.

Short term, without investment will be a nightmare though, the only real option for ordinary people will be small scale power generation by means of wind, solar, biogas, compgas and water power (whether steam engines, tidal, dams etc.) we'd manage, but it will be wild for a while i guess.
Setting up one of these systems, depending on where you live, is something that can be done now to ensure the lights stay on.

A killer virus / bacteria is a real proposition for causing mayhem around the world...luckily, these things are continuously mutating...an almost instant killer virus today, might morph into a harmless virus tomorrow...but can do a lot of damage until it mutates into a relatively harmless bug.

The only thing people can do to limit exposure, is strict quarantine protocols.

Complete isolation, until the danger is passed would ensure survival. This would mean either hunkering down in an isolated locale, or if you can't relocate yourself and family, stocking up on 6 months worth of food and water, batteries, toiletries, and other essentials and sealing your home up tight. Hepa filters would be a good idea to cover air intakes. Tape up your letterbox slot...the postman may have the virus, and will tranfer it to your mail...don't touch mail, deliveries, or ANYTHING someone outside of your home may have come into contact with.

A nuke will be hard to protect against for the average person.

If you're in the blast radius, you've had your chips anyway...so as you say, not much can be done about that. Fallout (up to a couple of weeks approx) will be a problem for those outside the blast zones...again, a sealed home will help, but radiation will penetrate through walls and barriers...an effective technique, which can be done by ordinary folks on a budget is to install a water wall. Water is one of natures most effective radiation barriers.

The water wall is simply a large room, either in your home, or under it, or nearby it...but lined with filled water containers.

An easy way to do this is to get square or rectangular 20 liter plastic containers, with tight leakproof screw tops, filled to the brim with tap water, and built into a room shape of three or four container thickness (to give about 3 or 4 foot thick walls and ceiling. 3 or 4 feet thickness of water will shield you from most of the radiation, if not all of it. You're family would have to live in this space for upto two weeks or so, until the fallout...has fallen out. Rain speed this up, as do high winds.

A radiation monitor, Iodine pills or liquids (and possibly 'suicide pills or means to painlessly and compassionately end a life may be needed for those in agony from radiation) And all other esentials for life would need to be on hand, in the water wall space. Don't leave the space, unless you have to for at least a week. Don't forget wind up radios for news broadcasts, lighting, sanitary containers with tight fitting lids (for the obvious) and treats for kids (sweets, games, cards, drawing and reading materials) to keep spirits up.

In association with a nuclear emergency, the next danger will come from other survivors looking for a way out, for food and water, for weapons, for just about everything they can find. Your stuff will do very nicely, unless you protect it...(another reason to stand up for the 2nd, asking desperate people nicely to leave you and your family alone won't work.

Social breakdown, is pretty similar to a viral outbreak + nuclear emergency combined, minus the water wall and radiation precautions...unless the breakdown causes multiple nuclear power stations to melt down, then it will still apply.

Social breakdown is probably going to be something that will be nasty, but relatively short lived, but it would be wise to isolate yourself, in a very remote area if possible, and plan for surviving, without additional supplies for around 6 months to 1 year.

Alien invasion...too many unknowns to counter this one.

But at a guess, if it was an agressive campaign, i would imagine there wouldn't be much technologically the ordinary man or woman could do, except to isolate and plan for an extended period of 'you're on your own'. If their biology is significantly different to Earth based life, it may turn out the flora and fauna might ultimately take care of them, but it's likely they would already know about this danger and would have taken steps to protect themselves.

The only hope for ordinary people would be that they only target military and infrastructure targets, and ignore remote populations deciding there's is no threat to them. If they intend to stay permanently, and not just mine minerals etc and then leave a few years later, things would be more difficult. Resistance would probably revolve around capturing their tech and duplicating it or capturing enough to use to fight with (very difficult with no civilisation left), or working on a biological weapon that would be species specific and infecting them with that...hoping that would spread among them and they'd either die, weaken enough so we could beat them, or outright leave.

Interesting topic.

An impressive logically thought out reply. :flop:

Kudos

I tend to agree with most of this in terms of logical thinking, but from a practical and realistic standpoint I doubt average man/woman would be able to achieve such things, under pressure, and with limited resources at hand. Even if it is logical to do so.

The scary part is, we are likely to face such a scenario in our own lifetimes.

I Intend to write up a detailed overview of the various scenarios, I hoped some would, so nice and thanks for taking the time to do so. :flop:

Also, the replies I get here (of which I am hoping will be many, varied, and individualistic) will be noted and correlated for something I have been working on for a while. So realistic perspectives of those who would most likely be left to fend for themselves in such scenarios is cool to get a grasp on. :cheers:
Censorship debunking & disinformation, it's all in a days work.

Super Moderator

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 4:23 pm » by Slith

Poooooot wrote:
Slith wrote:My basement is packed with enough sustainable non-perishable food for a year. Plus I have a shelter outside beside my shed. Also have a little cottage out in the middle of nowhere that is hard to access, that has supplies for a couple of months.

Damn, I'm coming to stay with you! :lol:

Lolz. Plus I have some spirits, actually lots of spirits and........Trivial Pursuit. Dang!!! :alien51:

Beating the shit out of spammers......one click at a time

Initiate

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 4:32 pm » by just_the_flu

Troll2rocks wrote:Does anyone have a plan for a doomsday like scenario already mapped out ?

YEP!! well not necessarily a doomsday scenario, i guess it would be doomsday if i had no consumables hehe

I always make sure i have at least a few daze supplies of weed and rye... my moto is "why go looking when your out?" NEVER RUN DRY haha :flop:

on topic... i more or less live in the moment... if such an event or disaster happens to happen... i'll deal with it then and there :cheers:
...you dont know your wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day...

...some asshole thought of it, some sucker believed it, and look what its done so far...

Initiate

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 6:23 pm » by flsts1

Funny you should mention this.... :shock: I been thinking of this the past few weeks...
I'm going to be in the middle of the Caribbean Sea when DA 14 is supposed to come cruzzin' by possibly richocheting off of a few satellites that are supposed to crash into the the Atlantic possibly triggering a tsunami...I'm kinda hoping Cuba gets in the way and dissapates the energy...but if, not and it hits my island, if I can't get off the island in time, I'm going to kiss my ass good-bye 'cause it was meant to be...
Pina Coladas for everyone!!!! whoooo hooooo!!!....

If I'm at home during the SHTF scenario...I have ample "plans" in place (of which I'm not prepared to divulge in a public forum...).... :wink: I live in a big place!
Try not to become a man of success but a man of value.
Albert Einstein

Initiate

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 6:25 pm » by Domeika

Being prepared is something that evolves over time. You just have to start somewhere.

I've been stocking up on non-perishable food for a few years now. A little here, a little there, it adds up. I have a dehydrator and a vacuum sealer also, and that is a cheap way to create lightweight long term resources as well. In fact, for preparedness, the vacuum sealer is a great little machine. It can squish and seal a roll of toilet paper almost flat. It still has mass, but a lot less. In a tightly packed bugout bag, every bit counts. In each bag I also have vacuum sealed socks and a set of sweats because after a disaster getting warm and dry might be a priority, but until they are used, they take up very little space. They also can fit someone else if that is the scenario. The bags are packed with all kinds of stuff, but some of the most important things are a compass, a topographical map of my county, 2 way radio, solar battery charger, water purification tablets (intend to buy a few "life straws"), Iosat, beef jerky, powdered milk, 3 MREs, nylon webbing, paracord, rope, twine, baling wire, multi-tool, sharpies, pencil, notepad, UV markers and UV flashlights (if seperated, you can leave signs for your people that other people can't see), head lamp, flashlight, crank radio, whistle, mess kit, poncho, emergency tent, sheet plastic, wok gloves.....and a lot of other stuff.
We have a garden too, and we grow and save as much as we can. BTW....ever read the ingredients on a bag of wild bird seed? There's wheat seeds in there. I sorted some out and planted them. Voila, instant pancakes. Well maybe not instant, but they are in there and they will germinate. In a pinch, you can plant these and they will sprout withing 3 days and you can eat the sprouts....full of nutrients or at least enough to keep you alive. I always thought bird seed was boiled and ergo wouldn't grow.....whodathunkit?

For medical, I started with basic military grade first aid kits and then added suture kits. There are advanced surgical kits available and I plan on getting one sometime in the future. I'm not a doctor, but if the SHTF and I do need and find a Dr, if he doesn't have the tools he won't be of much help. I also purchased antibiotics that are meant for aquariums.....same stuff, much cheaper, and no prescription needed for amoxicillin, tetracyclene, forte, penicillin, etc. I figure it is the same stuff, and if somone has a broken bone sticking out of their leg they probably won't complain as long as it staves off infection.

For hunting and self defense I have pistols 22 to 45. Rifles 22, 12ga and .308. This should be enough to thwart bad guys and knock off a squirrel, deer, or "other" for dinner. I also have enough reloading supplies to recycle my center-fire ammo for a very long time. Then there are knives.....machetes are dirt cheap (one on each bug out bag) and I have a bayonet that attaches to my 12 ga. I put the bayonet lug on the shotgun because that is the up close and personal zombie-killer (sling, folding stock, pistol-grip fore-end, 18.5" police breacher barrel) but it only holds 7 rounds so when they run out it's time to use the pointy thing.
I sent in a Form 1 to the ATF and after I get that back I'll make a suppressor for my 22 pistol. That is also for close quarters, and the reasoning is that if pursued by a crowd with bad intent, firing on one of them might alert the rest to your location.....shoot and scoot if you have to, but better to keep it as quiet as possible.
I also have a re-curve bow. Some people prefer a compound bow and they are great to have, as long as you have arrows, but if you try and make an arrow from wood and attempt to fire it from a 50LB compound bow it will end very, very, badly. Sometimes low-tech is better. Speaking of low-tech, one of the oldest weapons on earth is the atlai. Anyone can make and use one and it doesn't take long to become proficient in it's use. An atlai is for lack of a better term, a spear chucker. The spear itself can be any stright-ish stick (preferably of hard-wood) and the tip can be carburized (burnt) in an open fire and that can make for a very sharp end without having to make and affix a tip. Next, use a shorter and more stout piece of wood, and on it's end, create a notch for the hilt of the spear. When used correctly, you launch the spear with the stout stick. This gives it the effect of having been thrown from an arm the length of your own, plus the length of the throwing stick. If you've never seen one work you'd be surprised at how lethal it can be. Try it and get in touch with your inner cave-man. :wink:

For the house, we have a generator that will run the whole thing but it is gas powered. The goal there is to eventually get a diesel. We are on a 4 acre lot and pretty much in the sticks with very few neighbors and we can go quite a ways without having to cross a major highway if we absolutely had to leave. For hunkering down, I have lookout spots where I can see people coming well before they get here, and that plus a .308 equals a sniper nest. There is also a small airport nearby and if I really need to, I can fly us out of here.

For money, we try to keep some cash on hand and we stopped contributing to 401k a while back. We buy silver bullion a few ounces at a time and it is hidden and also protected by the aforementioned arsenal. We also bought bulk tobacco and vacuum sealed it into 1 oz bricks for barter, and also keep stocking airplane sized booze for barter as well. But then again, anything could be up for barter as long as you have what they want and they have what you want.

This stuff should help in a SHTF scenario or most natural disasters but it's impossible to plan for everything.

A killer rock from space..... :nails:

A generic everyday supervolcano.... :ohno:

These will undo the best laid plans.

An alien invasion? Well, I look at that as my ride just showed up. :banana:

Next