Docking with space stations for dummies.

Conspirator

PostSun Nov 27, 2011 12:31 am » by Mrmcnuggets

http://smithplanet.com/stuff/orbiter/or ... ations.htm
Orbital Operations Manual
Aligning, Syncing, and Docking with a Space Station
by Jared Smith

Getting Started

A russian translation of this manual is also available. Translation provided by Yuri Kulchitsky (Kulch).

This document is © 2005 - Jared Smith. You are free to translate this article as long as a link is provided to this document. If you contact me, I will provide a link to your translation. You can also redistribute this, though keep in mind that the original (found at http://smithplanet.com/stuff/orbiter/or ... ations.htm) will always be kept up-to-date.

Download the PDF version of this manual by selecting the PDF icon below:

This tutorial will guide you through the process of Aligning, Syncing, and Docking with a Space Station. You will learn not only the procedures for doing this, but the orbital mechanics involved and why you are doing certain things. You will learn a very accurate, efficient, and easy way to complete these procedures.

Requirements:

Orbiter - Space Flight Simulator 2005
A ship that is in orbit. This tutorial will use the default Delta Glider, though you can use any ship that has either big fuel tanks or a lot of thrust.
A space station to dock with. The station should be in a stable orbit. We will be using the ISS as our target.
In the Orbiter Launchpad, select the Parameters tab and enable Orbit Stabilization, deselect Nonsperical gravity sources, and if you are in a ship with limited fuel or thrust, deselect limited fuel before beginning. Once you have mastered these techniques with these parameters set, you can change them for a bigger challenge.

This tutorial uses the default Delta Glider to dock with Orbiter's default International Space Station (ISS), though most any spacecraft and space station with a docking port will work. If you're using the Space Shuttle, then additional adjustments must be made to account for the fact that the main thrusters add an element of rotation. If you're not sure how to get into orbit, figure that out first.

If you'd like a scenario file to get you started, open the Space Stations\mir.scn or if you have the Delta Glider III, open DeltaGliderIII_2005\Earth Scenery\Docked to MIR.scn scenario from the Orbiter launchpad.

If you are starting from the surface, you can significantly reduce the amount of work (and fuel) required to reach a space station by using the Map MFD to launch when the space station in question is passing almost directly over your launch location. As you launch, you should use the Map MFD to closely align your orbit with that of the space station.
This scenario will place you in orbit docked to the Mir space station, which in real life is about the worst place to be in orbit if you want to go to the ISS because the orbits of these two space stations are very different. This was done intentionally because the Russians did not want to have to track two space stations at the same time, so they insisted that the orbit of the ISS be such that it was never overhead at the same time that Mir was. As such, it makes transfers between the two space stations very difficult.

However, in Orbiter, Mir has been put in a nice ecliptical orbit, though the orbit is still quite different from that of the ISS. This will really help us learn the fundamentals of aligning and syncing our orbits. It also means that we need a theoretical ship such as the Delta Glider because current realistic space ships (such as the Space Shuttle) wouldn't have enough fuel to get from Mir to the ISS.

First, some terminology:

Aligning Orbits - aligning the plane of your orbit so that it coincides with the orbit of the target space station.
Syncing Orbits - adjusting the speed and altitude of your orbit so that at some point in time you will pass very close to the target space station.
Docking - orienting your ship in a manner that you can connect the docking port on your ship with the docking port on the target space station.

I wish I could quote it, but it's too big.

I figured any die-hard space fanatic would appreciate the link. :flop:
:cheers:
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. "

I AM an endangered species.

Upload to Disclose.tv

Initiate

PostSun Nov 27, 2011 7:48 am » by Newssniffer

mrmcnuggets wrote:http://smithplanet.com/stuff/orbiter/orbitaloperations.htm

It's in my bookmarks now.

It's this kind of thing that makes me the most excited about the internet. The sheer fact that I can now access and use software to plan a mission to the ISS from my office with detailed instructions is incredible, and has amazing implications for the future of humans in space. This is a a small but bold mark to the end of corrupted national space agencies have monopolistic control over our human destiny and birthright. How many new garage lab missions have a legitimate foothold because of this one simple link?

Plus one... hundred for you Mr. McNuggets! May you be blessed with only the finest dipping sauces.

Conspirator

PostSun Nov 27, 2011 10:54 am » by Mrmcnuggets

newssniffer wrote:
mrmcnuggets wrote:http://smithplanet.com/stuff/orbiter/orbitaloperations.htm

It's in my bookmarks now.

It's this kind of thing that makes me the most excited about the internet. The sheer fact that I can now access and use software to plan a mission to the ISS from my office with detailed instructions is incredible, and has amazing implications for the future of humans in space. This is a a small but bold mark to the end of corrupted national space agencies have monopolistic control over our human destiny and birthright. How many new garage lab missions have a legitimate foothold because of this one simple link?

Plus one... hundred for you Mr. McNuggets! May you be blessed with only the finest dipping sauces.

:pray:

It definitely is one of those cool things to have. :flop:
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. "

I AM an endangered species.

Upload to Disclose.tv