"Does the UK really need migrant workers?"

Conspirator

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 8:41 pm » by Webcat

For all us Brits here at DTV (and they may interest the other members!) here's some interesting facts about 'foreign' workers in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25114890

That means there are approximately 4,372,000 migrant workers in the UK [4.3 Million].

The total labour/workforce of the UK is about 29.95 Million.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lms/labour-market-statistics/november-2013/statistical-bulletin.html

The total number of unemployed is approximately 2.47 Million.

So looking at this in a simplified way, if all the migrant workers were sent home as some suggest, there would be over FOUR MILLION vacancies to be filled from the available pool of unemployed people, which is about TWO & HALF MILLION.

That means the UK would have vacancies totaling nearly ONE & HALF MILLION and then add the current number of vacancies existing, which is 545,000 or just over HALF A MILLION, Meaning total vacancies of over TWO MILLION.

That could be economic suicide for the UK. It's financial health could be ruined and the social implications of so many empty situations may be disastrous.

The sad truth is that the UK apparently depends on it's migrant labour force.

Without it - disaster?

It's funny how the Main Stream Media, certain Politicians and certain Political Parties never expose these obvious figures for the average British person to digest.

Maybe pointing out the 'negative' aspects of migrant workers helps newspapers sell and career Politicians to gain votes of the 'unenlightened'?

:think:

:cheers:

Initiate

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 9:08 pm » by just_the_flu

sorry if this post is irreverent to your post webcat..

in my area, a small town in ontario, we get migrant workers(off shore workers) every year. They mainly work on ginseng and tobacco farms (two major crops in the area).

The only reason the farmers get off shore workers in every year is because NO local kids or adults will do the work... - i will correct myself quickly and note that a few (and i mean a few) local kids, usually highschool, will pick tobacco at harvest until school starts in September.

AND it's not like off shore workers are 'cheaper' than local workers if that's what people are thinking. Farmers will argue that it cost them more to keep off shore workers(they have to provide room and board and pay them accordingly- same as a local worker).

Yes i agree that migrant workers take away good jobs that local unemployed people can handle... except in this case the local people would rather collect welfare and not work (which is another issue i wont get into lol)... I'm not sure if this is the case in the uk?

(TL;DR - I agree migrant workers take good jobs away... but in some cases (maybe all???) migrant workers are needed to get the job done)

sorry again webcat if i missed the point of your post :cheers:
good topic btw :flop:
...you dont know your wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day...

...some asshole thought of it, some sucker believed it, and look what its done so far...

Initiate

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 9:17 pm » by just_the_flu

i know its different in the city, and i cannot relate to city related migrant workers...

i don't have to worry aboot this.....

Upload to Disclose.tv

:alien51:

EDIT: even though southpark my be immature, stupid or whatnot... the message in that particular episode is spot on imo

...some asshole thought of it, some sucker believed it, and look what its done so far...

Conspirator

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 9:33 pm » by Webcat

just_the_flu wrote:sorry if this post is irreverent to your post webcat..

in my area, a small town in ontario, we get migrant workers(off shore workers) every year. They mainly work on ginseng and tobacco farms (two major crops in the area).

The only reason the farmers get off shore workers in every year is because NO local kids or adults will do the work... - i will correct myself quickly and note that a few (and i mean a few) local kids, usually highschool, will pick tobacco at harvest until school starts in September.

AND it's not like off shore workers are 'cheaper' than local workers if that's what people are thinking. Farmers will argue that it cost them more to keep off shore workers(they have to provide room and board and pay them accordingly- same as a local worker).

Yes i agree that migrant workers take away good jobs that local unemployed people can handle... except in this case the local people would rather collect welfare and not work (which is another issue i wont get into lol)... I'm not sure if this is the case in the uk?

(TL;DR - I agree migrant workers take good jobs away... but in some cases (maybe all???) migrant workers are needed to get the job done)

sorry again webcat if i missed the point of your post :cheers:
good topic btw :flop:

Na, it's not-irreverent when your talking about your own experiences! :flop:

And I strongly suspect that in the UK (like where you live) there are some people who prefer to stay on welfare - the benefits system is still very good in the UK compared to some countries I suspect.

But for a lot of the low paid jobs, migrant workers can be the only answer for some employers, as they're the only one's who'll work for shit wages! :mrgreen:

It's a complex thing, and it gets a lot of people worked up, specially if they really don't know the facts about why migrant workers are actually needed and can be a good thing for the UK. :look:

Conspirator

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 9:36 pm » by Noentry

The UK does not need migrants
the UK corporations need migrants.

Taoiseach is accused of massaging dole figures
Jobless total hits 13-year record high
THE numbers signing on the live register climbed to another grim record last month as the unemployment rate hit a 13-year high.
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ta ... 47843.html
"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority.
The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
A. A. Milne

Writer

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 9:38 pm » by F.A.R.T.

I like the way that you put numbers down for calculated analysis of the potential job loss.

the jobs are geared for those who want to work......and these guys work hard, especially when they see the competition fighting over a loaf of bread in their own country.

they want to curb the migration into the UK.

assess what countries they are from, and go over there to create factories and assembly plants for the UK's businesses.

the stimulus created there over time will curb the immigration from those countries and will in effect be a double win for all involved.

the nations' immigrants get to be employed at a strong standard from the UK and International Labor organizations,

and they get to stay at home with their families......

the UK gets to branch its manufacturing empire out to different countries for a larger base of sales and shipping networks, at a lower cost,

and the nation does not need to worry about rising unemployment or welfare costs....as well as seeing some of the low end and stable paying jobs going back to their families.

so i am all about binness in major economic centers moving to these nations to create jobs and stimulate the economy.

quadruple win win as described above even.......lol

Conspirator

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 9:42 pm » by Webcat

Noentry wrote:The UK does not need migrants
the UK corporations need migrants.

Taoiseach is accused of massaging dole figures
Jobless total hits 13-year record high
THE numbers signing on the live register climbed to another grim record last month as the unemployment rate hit a 13-year high.
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ta ... 47843.html

"Cough, cough..........ermmmmmm, Ireland is NOT part of the UK.

Sorry Noentry. :D :mrgreen:

Ireland is currently in the same state as Greece, Spain etc and I do believe has been bailed out by the UK and the IMF.

So I'm not surprised if their unemployment is climbing. I don't have any figures about their migrant workers, unemployment etc.

Initiate

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 9:49 pm » by just_the_flu

Webcat wrote:But for a lot of the low paid jobs, migrant workers can be the only answer for some employers, as they're the only one's who'll work for shit wages! :mrgreen:

that more or less reflects what i said about locals refusing to do jobs... whether the jobs viewed as low paying or the works "below" them (such as physical labour)...

if we can make them welfare bums do these jobs they refused to do to begin with.... we wouldent need migrant workers :mrcool:

again... good post :flop:

Initiate

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 9:52 pm » by just_the_flu

basically we've been 'spoiled' over time and were at the point where people can refuse to work but still make a living??
that doesn't make sense to me seeing how i was raised to work hard to provide for myself/family - i appreciate that lesson as a young lad, and you dont see that in the younger generations.... least not as much...

Conspirator

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 10:04 pm » by Webcat

F.A.R.T. wrote:I like the way that you put numbers down for calculated analysis of the potential job loss.

the jobs are geared for those who want to work......and these guys work hard, especially when they see the competition fighting over a loaf of bread in their own country.

they want to curb the migration into the UK.

assess what countries they are from, and go over there to create factories and assembly plants for the UK's businesses.

the stimulus created there over time will curb the immigration from those countries and will in effect be a double win for all involved.

the nations' immigrants get to be employed at a strong standard from the UK and International Labor organizations,

and they get to stay at home with their families......

the UK gets to branch its manufacturing empire out to different countries for a larger base of sales and shipping networks, at a lower cost,

and the nation does not need to worry about rising unemployment or welfare costs....as well as seeing some of the low end and stable paying jobs going back to their families.

so i am all about binness in major economic centers moving to these nations to create jobs and stimulate the economy.

quadruple win win as described above even.......lol

Yep, a lot of Corporations 'out-source' to 2nd & 3rd World Countries to save on labour costs, but they close factories and make redundant workers in the original countries.

That's the reason that China is such a powerhouse - cheap labour and lots of it.

I think many UK & American companies have moved to such countries over the years.

Low costs and high profits.

Look at this table showing washing machine production:

Production by country
Country Amount Date of information
China 30,355,000 2005
Italy 9,680,000 2004
USA 9,531,000 2003
South Korea 4,977,000 2003
Germany 4,856,000 2003
France 3,618,000 2004
Japan 2,622,000 2005
Turkey 2,471,000 2003
Brazil 2,266,000 2003
Mexico 1,547,000 2003
Poland 1,481,000 2005
Ukraine 322,000 2005
Sweden 124,000 2003
Kazakhstan 72,800 2005
Belarus 36,700 2005
Republic of Moldova 36,200 2005
Romania 25,000 2005
Uzbekistan 700 2005

And I strongly suspect that China is No.1 because of cheap labour costs. :mrgreen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing_machine

Next