Dr. Laura loses it and goes on a N-word rant

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 18, 2010 5:17 pm » by sockpuppet

jax40 wrote:Sockpuppet - I take it that you look on black people has 'N' then. I guess you feel that it acceptable?

It isn't about racism, it's about a speech community taking a pejorative word and normalizing it in code. That code serves a purpose to unify the community and to establish trust between interlocutors. The offense of the 'n' word is less about white-against-black racism in this context as is claimed, and more about a speech community feeling violated via the use of an intimate word by an outside member.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouyVS6HOFeo

Initiate

PostWed Aug 18, 2010 5:37 pm » by Jax40

I'm a black woman and I don't agree that black people should call other black people the N word..... (it makes me mad) Yes maybe Laura was trying to explain the normanlizing code. But it was taken out of context in regards to the woman who was simply phoning up for relationship advice. I can't imagine having a white husband that would accept his family members calling me that!

But interesting point made suckpuppet......

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 18, 2010 5:41 pm » by sockpuppet

jax40 wrote:I can't imagine having a white husband that would accept his family members calling me that!

But interesting point made suckpuppet......

But could you forgive them for trying to find ways into your circle... even if the manner in which they did so was rude and ignorant? :cheers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouyVS6HOFeo

Initiate

PostWed Aug 18, 2010 5:48 pm » by Jax40

I guess I would be married to a person who shares the same values than me (most times those values come from the family) So it is unlikley that the family would call me names (in a perfect world lol)

If I was in that position where family members where calling me the N word. I would tell them to stop as I find it offensive. There are many positive ways to enter my circle, just be nice, cheery and chilled...... If they carried on with calling out the N word AFTER I explained how I felt... I would be saying 'see ya later'.........

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 18, 2010 6:25 pm » by Funnyman46

Just the fact that you had to type "the N word" instead of the real word shows a hyocritcal nature to the peoples and their speech. If the black community doesn’t like the word, stop using it altogether. If the black people had ever come up with a word for white folks that had the same connotation associated with the ‘word’ causing all the fuss, this wouldn’t be an issue.
What stops US as a people from progressing is the fear placed upon its use because of the reprisal brought to them from the organizations (Al Sharpton types) To me this is another form of terrorism against our right to free speech.
Until any people stop playing the victim because of a word our society will never be allowed to move forward on this or any subject. After all, its just a word.
Whatever happened to ‘Sticks and stones can break my bones but names will never hurt me”?
And for the record, I have a niece, nephew and a soon to be son-in-law that are black/negro or whatever the current term is I’m supposed to use in order not to offend.
All of these family members think it’s a joke that blacks get so upset over this word.
Hell my daughter throws it right back at them by (when someone comes to the house and might be a bit militant about their past) “I’m sorry there is cotton in the aspirin bottle. It was there when I bought it so if it offends you let me know and I’ll throw it out” Jokingly of course. They, the son-in-laws brother always accuse her of only liking country music and dating her cousins.
Lighten up people, it's just a word. Humans can strive for perfection but that is a long way from here as we still allow the powers that be to keep us fighting amounst ourselves over stupid issues.
The first amendment still applies when a black personality uses the word on their shows so what's the diffence? I'm allowed to still say cracker right or has the rules changed on that as well. You we claim to be evolved then why not act like it? These words will always be around because it's in our nature to complain. Hell we can't even agree on the subjects in these posts.
Please do not take anything I say as truth, I am under control of a lizard race hell bent on staying underground and unseen to further my paranoia.

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 18, 2010 6:34 pm » by Icarus1

THAT MAD BITCH HAS TO BE SACKED FOR THIS :mrgreen:
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 18, 2010 6:39 pm » by Funnyman46

In simpler terms, my family laughs at the ways our society believes all the hoops they jump through.
It’s about back bone and what you believe. Check the comments on this thread to get the answers to this and other such annoyances’
IF WE CAN'T GET ALONG ON DTV what chance do we have?
Please do not take anything I say as truth, I am under control of a lizard race hell bent on staying underground and unseen to further my paranoia.

Initiate

PostWed Aug 18, 2010 6:41 pm » by Jax40

I reckon she was suffering from a bit of PMT..you should hear that crap that comes out of my mouth when I'm in that zone lol..........

Conspirator

PostWed Aug 18, 2010 6:46 pm » by Funnyman46

jax40 wrote:I reckon she was suffering from a bit of PMT..you should hear that crap that comes out of my mouth when I'm in that zone lol..........

See? And that’s what balances the equation. In the end, it's always the people against those who would bring us down. (big brother) Remember the college days when we ALL stood shoulder to shoulder against the man?

Initiate

PostWed Aug 18, 2010 7:56 pm » by Govtslave

I don't see this as a racist "rant" by Dr. Laura. She was trying to address the double standard that exists. If black people don't like the "N" word, then they should be the first to stop using it. While your at it, you can stop calling Caucasians "whitey" "cracker", and "honky" as well. Racism is not something "someone else" does. We are all responsible as individuals black and white and the use of a racial epitaph, as an example, in the course of a conversation about it does not make it a racist comment.

PreviousNext