Dr. Robert Epstein: Treat teens more as adults!

Writer

PostFri Nov 01, 2013 1:00 am » by Edward777

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrs1xW0m ... tube_gdata

We are pushing childhood and adolescence to ridiculous levels - no wonder so few 20-somethings are settling down and raising families.

Society will suffer greatly if we do not reverse this trend.

Writer

PostFri Nov 01, 2013 12:18 pm » by Andgene

id say the way kidds are rasied is a bigger issue than the way they are treated after the screwed up way they are raised.... wrong ideals, MTV, tv shows... its sad teens dont see all that themselves instead of going with the flow.

people are trying to fix issues without getting to the root of it and chopping it off

Writer

PostFri Nov 01, 2013 1:23 pm » by Edward777

Andgene wrote:id say the way kidds are rasied is a bigger issue than the way they are treated after the screwed up way they are raised.... wrong ideals, MTV, tv shows... its sad teens dont see all that themselves instead of going with the flow.

people are trying to fix issues without getting to the root of it and chopping it off

I think it has to be seen comprehensively. Parents need to stop spoiling kids and society needs to stop trying to make life easy for them.

Conspirator

PostFri Nov 01, 2013 3:11 pm » by Poooooot

I don't think it's a problem that 20-somethings aren't settling down and having families (you aren't mentally mature enough to handle that kind of life until your at least 25-27, imo). Twenty-somethings should spent their time getting an education, setting up a career, travelling, and generally doing things that you really can't do (or are much more difficult) once you have a family.

The problem, I think, is with a lack of consequences for (and the coddling of) children and teens. That leads to the attitude that the world owes them something, when in fact it's the other way around. "Participation" ribbons and the like are teaching children that they don't have to work hard to earn acknowledgement, and for the ones who deserve acknowledgement for achievements it takes away the special feeling of knowing you worked hard to earn that trophy (when everyone is rewarded). It's absolutely ridiculous.

My son just got straight A's on his report card and the school is taking him (and all the kids that got straight A's - maybe 10 or so in the whole school) out to a special lunch today. He worked hard for those grades and deserves special treatment. Little Timmy (hypothetical kid) that didn't work had and got B's and C's doesn't get rewarded, and that's the way it should be. In some school districts, my son and Timmy would be rewarded the same, which is just plain stupid. That teaches Timmy he doesn't have to work hard for success, and when he hits the "real world" he will fall flat on his face. And it teaches the kids that work hard that it's not worth it because the ones that glide through life will reap the same benefits.
Matthew 7
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Super Moderator

PostFri Nov 01, 2013 3:37 pm » by Slith

Treat teens like adults? Does this include the justice system? It should, and it should then be all emcompassing

Canubis wrote:
chat is dead when i DIE!!!!!!!! and IT MABE HAPPE!N>>?? i might live for infinite discussion....fukn fooled upon buy dick fagit? booN