DTV's Theme Song

Conspirator

PostMon Aug 10, 2009 5:35 am » by Darrylmckay

immortalgropher wrote:Darryl, The only way musicians really get paid is by those big companies, BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, etc. It's called royalties. If an artist or band is on a label, the only way they're going to get MORE money is to get as big of an advance as possible from the label, the music business is constantly changing. The best way to make money IS to compose music or become a publisher. Period. If you're a damn good professional musician, you can make a living also

Hey I didnt say it was all bad, and all big companies were bad, just most of them.
I will stick with my independants though, producing music for the sake of it rather than sales,
NOFX, Bad religion, Ramones (gone but not forgotten), suicidal, dropkick murphys, iggy.
They all make a living, not out of record sales but from playing live shows.
I will respect your beliefs*, I will research your beliefs, but dont expect me to believe.
* disclaimer-user makes no commitment to live up to this claim

Initiate

PostMon Aug 10, 2009 5:39 am » by Thepassenger

torche http://www.playlist.com/playlist/additem/510479633

Coolest people ever,.. smoked pot with them after a show,.. singer got my friend a free shirt... drank all night with them...

circa survive http://www.playlist.com/playlist/additem/641304337

Not a new band or underground at all these days... but still very true to their fan base, ... always giving, letting everyone in on their creative process,... deep tortured personal lyrics that drive oneself into personal reflection without even fucking trying...

Big Business http://www.playlist.com/playlist/additem/586550801

INTENSITY ,... the drummer is relentless powerful and dynamic... singer plays the fuzzed out bass,... hes a perfectionist and truly loves putting on a good show... the look in his eyes is one of a man possessed,.. while playing you could imagine that he doesnt even see the crowed or the lights... that he is truly on a trip where the song takes him... like a waking dream, or a mystical experience.

just to name the ones stuck in my head today .... Oh that and Chromeo http://www.playlist.com/playlist/additem/231439633

just listen to it with an unbiased ear and i assure you, you will love them... lol
“You begin saving the world by saving one person at a time; all else is grandiose romanticism or politics.” ~ Charles Bukowski

Initiate

PostMon Aug 10, 2009 5:45 am » by Immortalgropher

darrylmckay wrote:
immortalgropher wrote:Darryl, The only way musicians really get paid is by those big companies, BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, etc. It's called royalties. If an artist or band is on a label, the only way they're going to get MORE money is to get as big of an advance as possible from the label, the music business is constantly changing. The best way to make money IS to compose music or become a publisher. Period. If you're a damn good professional musician, you can make a living also

Hey I didnt say it was all bad, and all big companies were bad, just most of them.
I will stick with my independants though, producing music for the sake of it rather than sales,
NOFX, Bad religion, Ramones (gone but not forgotten), suicidal, dropkick murphys, iggy.
They all make a living, not out of record sales but from playing live shows.

Barely anyone makes a living off record sales alone lol if they're lucky they do. The artist basically has to pay back what the record label gave them, they have to meet a quota basically and like maybe 10% of artists and bands are lucky enough. madonna, britney, etc, they got rich off looks alone, same with these jonas brothers clowns; looks. If someone looks marketable, you milk em.

I guarantee you all those bands are registered with either ascap or bmi to collect mechanical royalties and radio royalties, you pretty much have to.

Bands make money from merch and ticket sale percentages (if they're a major label) otherwise they sign a contract with the venue stating when, where, what time and how much. Artists who don't have control over their music are the ones who A. know nothing about music or B. don't know how to read a contract and just sign the dotted line.
A Gropher is a distant relative of the Gopher species...:peep:

Conspirator

PostMon Aug 10, 2009 5:50 am » by Realorfake

Everyone remember this song? Apparently Atreyu sucks...

Upload to Disclose.tv

How many times must you honk your horn and say fuck you?
Now what the fuck does that do?
You feel better now, I didnt let you pass.
How bout I stop my car and beat your fuckin' ass?

Conspirator

PostMon Aug 10, 2009 5:52 am » by Darrylmckay

immortalgropher wrote:I guarantee you all those bands are registered with either ascap or bmi to collect mechanical royalties and radio royalties, you pretty much have to.

Bands make money from merch and ticket sale percentages

I am sure they are, you dont have to tell me about mech sales, The Ramones survived 22 years by just selling t shirts.

immortalgropher wrote:same with these jonas brothers clowns

Your not seriously trying to suggest that the Jonas brothers dont get by on thier immense talent alone are you. :lol: :lol:
I will respect your beliefs*, I will research your beliefs, but dont expect me to believe.
* disclaimer-user makes no commitment to live up to this claim

Initiate

PostMon Aug 10, 2009 5:55 am » by Thepassenger

You can simply buck the business end of it sometimes... and Devendra Banhart is prime example... dude makes music around a camp fire with his buddies and its so good no one fucks with his art ,... he may be signed i do not know... he may be making mad cash ... i do not know... all i know is that he is uncompromisable when it comes to his creations... and thats all that matters in a good song... true unabashed honesty in the emoting of your inspired creation... http://www.playlist.com/playlist/additem/216870673

but the reason why is because he never set forth in being a musician to make money at all.... Just had to sing.... like the birds tweeting,.. like the dogs howling... and the whales singing... they do it because they simply must arch their backs ,.... dig deep within their souls ,... and burst forth in total bombastic abandon.
“You begin saving the world by saving one person at a time; all else is grandiose romanticism or politics.” ~ Charles Bukowski

Initiate

PostMon Aug 10, 2009 6:01 am » by Immortalgropher

darrylmckay wrote:
immortalgropher wrote:I guarantee you all those bands are registered with either ascap or bmi to collect mechanical royalties and radio royalties, you pretty much have to.

Bands make money from merch and ticket sale percentages

I am sure they are, you dont have to tell me about mech sales, The Ramones survived 22 years by just selling t shirts.

immortalgropher wrote:same with these jonas brothers clowns

Your not seriously trying to suggest that the Jonas brothers dont get by on thier immense talent alone are you. :lol: :lol:

T-shirts are a HUGE seller, 15 bucks a pop, sold out show, sell 165/200 shirts = 2475.00 plus however much the venue is paying. easily make 5000 dollars a night.

Oh lawdy! the jonas brothers are SO talented...:lol:

You can never buck the business, if you do, you're doing BAD business. Copyrighting your music = business endeavor, writing music = business endeavor, performing music = business endeavor. every single thing one does musically is a business endeavor. It doesn't matter if it's great, it doesn't matter if sucks, if there is a selling point, there is money to be had for SOMEONE.

A more suitable definition for "bucking the business" would be copyrighting your own music and being your OWN publisher. ;)

Initiate

PostMon Aug 10, 2009 6:21 am » by Thepassenger

the drive to create art should never be cash...

it immediately cheapens any integrity of the artist, and the product will always be crap...

their is a difference between someone who does photography for a magazine advertisement and the photographer artist who sells their prints at gallery for private collections... they might make the same money... but one has integrity, and true pure inspiration for creating the print... and you can tell by looking at the piece,.. it shines through clear as day... if the motivation be money... then you are not an artist... if the motivation be being devoted and worshiped then trying to attain enlightenment for such a purpose will not make you into Christ or Buddha.... it will make you a televangelist

and realorfake ,.. dude i didnt criticize you at all.... i was just talking about Atreyu...

but you got real worked up didn't you? had to go and start trying to rip apart someone you do not know in the slightest.... i just wanna say that i didn't throw any stone at you ,.... i was just analyzing from my perspective, the works of atreyu.... the crack about being 27 and that you should be over the bravado of music designed for immature tastes,.. wasn't aimed at you ,.. it was putting atreyu below you... not you below anyone else...

but i apologize if it came across otherwise... and fuck it... its all taste ,.. its all relative to the experience of the observer anyway... judging a song is not judging you.... but again... sorry... not here to troll and fight.... just discuss music for a min before bed.... lol

Initiate

PostMon Aug 10, 2009 6:38 am » by Darkstar99

I really like this song.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0LvhQ6aIX1o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0LvhQ6aIX1o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Initiate

PostMon Aug 10, 2009 6:49 am » by Immortalgropher

thepassenger wrote:the drive to create art should never be cash...

it immediately cheapens any integrity of the artist, and the product will always be crap...

their is a difference between someone who does photography for a magazine advertisement and the photographer artist who sells their prints at gallery for private collections... they might make the same money... but one has integrity, and true pure inspiration for creating the print... and you can tell by looking at the piece,.. it shines through clear as day... if the motivation be money... then you are not an artist... if the motivation be being devoted and worshiped then trying to attain enlightenment for such a purpose will not make you into Christ or Buddha.... it will make you a televangelist

You're misunderstanding. Art makes cash. No matter how bad the art, it still makes cash, it's like comparing soulja boy to jason becker...one is crap and the other is a god, they both made money.

What's wrong with using musical knowledge to create income? NOTHING. Not one little thing. If you think that, your integrity is what's down the drain. You think people who create music for movies and television don't pour themselves into it? Do you REALLY? Those people pour all their time and everything else into creating masterpieces. Suggesting that because one gets paid for what they love to do they have no integrity is bollocks. If the motivation is money, you're still an artist if it sucks or not. The difference is in if the artist is willing to play shows for free or give back to the fans.

People have FUN making music, which is why there are works for hire, etc. People who have IDEAS flowing constantly, if they write it, they're enjoying it, they UNDERSTAND it. That's still art and they deserve every penny. It's not to say there aren't people who are soley in it for money only, because there are, there are a lot of shitty musicians and artists out there, they're the ones who don't need a penny, useless trash like soulja boy and others along that line don't really deserve half of what they've got.
Last edited by Immortalgropher on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext